IGNORED

Bluetooth Helmets

marked23

I'm hoping to find a great helmet that has built-ins for bluetooth communication.

I want to:

• Communicate bike-to-bike with my wife.
  • Listen to Bluetooth MP3 player
  • Hear GPS (rarely)
  • Listen for phone ringing (but not answering)

So I tried Google, searching for "bluetooth helmet" and I keep finding various non-premium helmet brands that sell either bluetooth-ready or fully installed bluetooth setups. These helmets are in the $250 - $350 price range. The strange part is that I'm not seeing similar offerings from the premium helmet brands, Like Arai or Shoei.

Am I just not looking hard enough?

Does it matter? Is there evidence to show that premium helmets are more safety-effective?

I don't mind my HJC; it works well. But I just figured that if I'm going to pick another helmet for bluetooth. I might as well get better protection while I'm making a purchase.

Oh, one more thing. I'm a tech worker, and I've tried out a few bluetooth toys for non-motorcycle related things. I've always been disappointed. Is this going to be the same kind of frustration with the helmet idea, or is this stuff reasonably reliable?

Take a look at the Nolan helmets. They are all designed to accept their Bluetooth hardware and are excellent quality, Italian made, medium-priced helmets.

I'm currently using a Nolan N43 "AIR" and it's my favorite helmet to date.

Why not just buy a bluetooth intercom and use your existing helmet or purchase a helmet you like and add the bluetooth intercom?

Sens SMH-10 gets top reviews. Also, a buddy of mine has a pair of the SMH-10's and loves them.

PS: you can purchase an alternate mounting option that supports in-ear speakers.

I've been using a Nolan n102 for about three years now.

When I'm on my RT at freeway speed, people can't believe I'm talking to them while riding a bike.

The disappointment was that it does not support stereo bluetooth

so I have to plug into the MP3 to listen to music. I'm sure things have changed in 3 years. I have no other complaints with the Nolan system or the helmet itself.

[

I'm hoping to find a great helmet that has built-ins for bluetooth communication.

Does it matter? Is there evidence to show that premium helmets are more safety-effective?

Before deciding which helmet you are going to buy - e.g. more expensive = better , it is important to decide what sort of a crash you are going to have.

This UK testing body http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ was set up to provide impartial advice against the "more expensive = more profit for the retailer = better safety" scenario. There are some side impact tests here where the $100 helmets outperform a $500 Arai and Arai just complain that the test is irrelevant according their post-race-crash analysis. You have to decide whether you are going to have the same crash on the pavement that a racer does on the track.

I would not argue that premium helmets generally offer more comfortable lining materials, better visors, ventilation, more choice of cheek pads etc.

Look at the ratings, decide on a budget, get something that's comfortable and fits well (extremely important), and if it has integrated or optional bluetooth that is a real plus. If you choose an Arai, the Cardo Scala Q4 system http://www.motorbikeintercom.co.uk/scala-rider-q4-powerset-motorbike-intercom.php is good I've heard.

I recently spent a lot of time researching different communication options. My opinion is that you can adapt most bluetooth units to most of the newer helmets. I think many times that to buy a helmet with BT installed is not cost effective and probably not any better.

I ended up dealing with Cycle Accessories, they were very helpful and knowledgable and took all the time in the world to splain stuff to me. ( I have no connection to CA)

http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/

Check their site. :wave:

Got aa Nolan bluetooth and Cardo Scala Q2 set.

Cardo set is better and the new G4 from Cardo is better than my 2 yr old Q2 units.

As a pair, the Cardo sets have decent bike to bike range but are not a match for a CB or FRS radio. Also make good on bike communicators. Charge life is fine for a typical days riding.

When doing long solo trips I take the Q2 power unit off my second helmet and take it with me as a backup. I keep it charged on a 9V charging setup in my electrfied tank bag that also has a std 5V setup for phones. (I camp much of the time so need to charge "on the bike" rather than in a hotel room.

If you run a zumo or similar can can bluetooth both your phone and headset to it for voice dial (if phone supports the full implementation), directions, etc. plus as a comm device with another set.

I have to echo the J&M unit. The stereo sound, the link with my iPhone and my Garmin....all good. They have a new unit that allows bike/bike or sync with passenger.

Had mine for 3 yrs and use it on my daily/shorter trips.

Good luck!

I too have the J&M BT for my helmet, except for a low hum (that I can't hear with plugs in) it works perfectly well, though pricey.

The Zumo 550 is MONO BT, but I pipe the Zumo STEREO out plug and the Radar through an iCombi dongle. I get great sound and Radar and GPS all together. Sweet!

-the helmet unit and the iCombi will hold a charge for as much as I care to ride, about 12 hours.

Archived