IGNORED

Burning Rubber Smell

DualSporter Rich

DualSporter Rich

Noticed after a moderate ride, there is a burning rubber smell eminating from the bike, but unsure the cause. I suspect the alternator belt, but wanted to check with the group to see if I'm on the right track. There are no charging system issues as far as I can tell.

Bike (03 1150RT) has almost 39K miles on it, and not sure if the alternator belt has ever been changed, so I will change it. Just wondering if this sounds normal to you.

Any advise/thoughts/suspicions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

9 times out of 10 it's indeed the alt. belt. As they start to fray and the edges whip about the smell is the first clue. 39K from one is pretty good.

Probably the belt is just a bit loose. Did you happen to be riding in wet weather?? Mine used to do the same when the belt became a bit loose and got wet. Slipping I suppose.

Belt is due for replacement at 24K miles or so say BMW.

DualSporter Rich

Thanks Guys, seems like it just a good insurance policy to put a new one on after 39K. I appreciate your comments!

Thanks!

The alternator belt is cheap and easy to replace. At 39K you may be lucky it has not let go! If the belt does not look bad, and the smell you refer to could be described as a "hot oil" smell, then it is possible your rear transmission seal ( in front of the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder ) is leaking. That oil makes its way onto the pushrod and drips on the clutch assembly. I noticed an unexplainable hot oil smell before my clutch started slipping. Hopefully just the alternator belt.

DualSporter Rich

I have the alternator belt now and will install it in the next couple of days. If the burning rubber smell persists I will look into the possibility of it being the clutch or tranny seal.

Thanks for your input!

Don_Eilenberger
Probably the belt is just a bit loose. Did you happen to be riding in wet weather?? Mine used to do the same when the belt became a bit loose and got wet. Slipping I suppose.

Belt is due for replacement at 24K miles or so say BMW.

Actually - 36k miles - and so far everyone I know of who did a Hexhead belt at 36k had the same experience I did, the old belt looked identical to the new one.

Mine got the new belt since I had it in hand and was that far in, but I wouldn't have been concerned with leaving it on another 24k miles if I didn't have it.

Apparently the elastic belt doesn't self-destruct like the oilhead belts did.

If the burning smell isn't accompanied by squealing, it's doubtful that it's the alternator belt.

Don_Eilenberger

Ah - just spotted this posting is in the wrong forum (it's an oilhead that smells..) so in that case - IGNORE whatever I said. It's entirely possible your OILHEAD belt IS bad.

Apparently the elastic belt doesn't self-destruct like the oilhead belts did.

Never say never. I had one self destruct on our R1200GS at 140 km/h about 6 months ago. Puff of burt rubber smell and on came the light. Little more than a waded up mess of shreads when I toook off the cover. I think that belt only had about 30K km on it.

Archived