IGNORED

Yet Another New Guy

UberXY

I have been riding BMWs for the last 19 years - 13 years on a new R65 (13 slow years), 6 years on a new R11S (6 cramped but fun years). So recently I came across an '04 R1150RT with 713 miles for a great price locally, and had to buy it. Now I am thinking about a four corners ride on the way home from the VT MOA rally next year.

So my first question is: I have a Garmin 376C with XM that I mounted on the S with a Touratech mount on the triple clamp. Where and how would you all suggest mounting the unit on the RT? And where and how is the best mounting for the V1?

Second question: I am planning on taking the fairing off just once this winter, mostly to get put in a fused accessory power source for the GPS and V1. What other must-do mods should I perform while the fairing is off this virgin RT?

Thanks,

Steve

05 RT

00 M5

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hey there Steve! Welcome to the group. Welcome to the land of the obsessed, but you're really already one of us so you'll fit right in. You should make some searches and take a gander at the Bike Related Things forum. Many of your questions have been discussed at length there.

I put a Blue Sea fuse block under my seat, velcroed on top of my air filter cover. Some folks have put a fuse panel behind a side cover. I might caution you against burying it behind your nose fairing because if you pop a fuse, replacement becomes a major hassle.

As for radar placement, part of your choice becomes how much other stuff do you want to also put on your dash. Look in the Pictures section (on the top title bar) for different options, then ask more questions in the appropriate forum.

In the classifieds section right now there is a RCU Shelf for sale.

mkshelf.jpg

Finally, fill in your profile so we know more about you. It's the neighborly thing to do around here. smile.gif

Blue Beemer Dude

Your sig lists an 05 RT yet your post says it's an 04.

My fuse block consists of six wires loosely taped together and zip-tied to the frame. We don't need no stinkin' fuses!

I don't know if you've already had the 600 mile service done or not, but if it was already done by the dealer you probably could do a more accurate TBS and valve adjustment yourself (if so inclined and as anal-retentive as most of us here) and so I would take the opportunity when the tupperware is off.

Also, one of the requirements to owning an RT is adding accessory lighting (assuming that you want to ride at night) and now would be a good time to do that too.

Of course, if you are used to older Beemers, then you're probably used to driving at night by the light of the moon.

Michael

Archived