IGNORED

Dash electronics

RockMyWorld

I just purchased a used '07 R1200RT (US). I live in Canada and curious if the electronics can be switched from imperial to metric? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Terry

it seems like it should be able too, but im not sure...my ktm 530 is switchable between miles and km at the push of a button...but my old 96 r1100rt is a fixed unit like the older cars...not even digital....not sure on the newer beemers

Joe Frickin' Friday

Don't remember for certain, but this might be something that can be changed via a GS-911.

Can't tell from their website though. Someone here want to plug theirs in and see if that's an option?

CoarsegoldKid
Don't remember for certain, but this might be something that can be changed via a GS-911.

Can't tell from their website though. Someone here want to plug theirs in and see if that's an option?

I have never seen this option with the GS-911.

Talk to your dealer. There maybe some secret handshake.

Morning Terry

Your dealer should be able to reprogram it for you. You will have to talk to them about cost. It isn’t a simple button push or do it yourself at home.

As mentioned I don’t think the GS-911 can do it but probably worth calling to see if it is possible.

UK versions will be switchable from MPH to KPH - EU law requires it - and I wonder if BMW would make a US-specific MPH setup that was not.

I will ask one of my R1200RT riding friends how it is done on their bike.

Andy

Thanks all! It would be nice if it can be changed easily (and cheaply). Leary about calling the dealer, seeing I imported an American bike. Based on my initial call to BMW Canada, they want $500 just to check over the bike before I can get it plated here!

A dealer can change the odometer from miles to km, I had mine done when we moved. The GS911 can not do it (yet). The speedometer of course you are stuck with as is because the numbers are painted on.

Morning again Terry

Well if the Canadian dealer is going to charge you $500.00 to make sure it meets Canadian standards that should include re-programming the dash to read in Canadian eh!

If you aren’t going to use the Canadian dealer for the import inspection you do have the option of having your dash, temp readout, gas gauge, etc re-programmed at an American dealer. Maybe next time you are in the States have an American dealer reprogram it for you.

I just use my GPS for speed readout when riding in Canada.

Easily reprogrammed by the dealer computer GT-1.

You will have to cough up the $500 for the recall clearance letter from BMW Canada before you can get the RIV paperwork etc. and register your bike. Dealer gets a couple hundred of that and the rest goes to BMW Canada for the letter etc. I worked in a dealership for a while, and one one hand the charge sucks but on the other hand......well there are a bunch of opinions on it.

Good Luck!

As pointed out, that $500 gets you a letter from BMW Canada confirming that all applicable recalls for that bike have been done. You need that letter in order to register the bike in Canada.

I suppose requirements change from time to time, and it depends upon your relationship with your dealer, and it’s a bit after the fact for the OP, but 2 years ago when we brought our R1200GS with us, I had the US dealer do a VIN printout showing, “No open campaigns” and the RIV accepted it just fine. Total cost $0. Did the same thing with Donna's Ford Ranger and an old Toyota car. No issues. Might be worth the cost of a phone call to the selling US dealer anyway.

Again,thanks! I've reached out to the servicing dealer and just waiting for a response. He gave me a recall letter, but RIV isn't accepting it. Didn't think of it at the time, but I should've also asked him to reset the electronics while he was doing the last recall work!

Archived