IGNORED

A little incline training in SF

swilson

I've been training two new motor officers for the last few weeks. I brought them to SF this week to torture them on the hills. In this video you'll see the instructors demonstrate how to control the bike on a steep incline. I'm in red.

Its a blast to experience, but if you make a mistake the consequences are high. One of my trainees wouldn't even attempt (a wise move) and the other one did great until he had a HUGE brain fart and grabbed a whole lot of front brake while still in a turn. After the bike went over it slid downhill about 5' until we grabbed hold of it. :)

Survived-til-now

Thanks for sharing that (should it not be under Ride Well?). My dealer has a slope like that outside his showroom and - Yup - putting your right foot down just wasn't going to work......

Joe Frickin' Friday
Cool! :thumbsup: How would you park on a street like that? Up hill in gear i'd guess?

At some point I'd worry about the engine being cranked by the incline (my car does this in my driveway if I don't set the parking brake).

If that proved to be a problem, putting the bike up on its centerstand should fix it - but then you'll have a challenge getting it off of the stand later, unless the hill has inclined the bike so much that the back whee is weighted, in which case you can just power the bike forward off of the stand when the time comes.

Man, I rode those hills in San Francisco on my fully loaded RT :eek: Wow! I'm surprised my clutch survived that day. I would get a full head of steam going up a steep hill only to have a pedestrian crossing the street at the top and forcing me to stop with my headlight pointing at the stars. Then it was "clutch burn" time as I had to muster the forward motion to get out of there.

That's not just a rider test, but a motorcycle drive train test, too :thumbsup:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If you don't want to make the run to SF, the S/O range off Metcalf has some incline just inside the last gate. I'd do the occasional figure 8 coming or going just for practice.

Man, I rode those hills in San Francisco on my fully loaded RT :eek: Wow! I'm surprised my clutch survived that day. I would get a full head of steam going up a steep hill only to have a pedestrian crossing the street at the top and forcing me to stop with my headlight pointing at the stars. Then it was "clutch burn" time as I had to muster the forward motion to get out of there.

That's not just a rider test, but a motorcycle drive train test, too :thumbsup:

Ha ha. You would just love riding with me then. There are a couple favorite streets of mine in SF that are extremely steep with stop signs at every intersection. :) The trainees get to ride "right wheel" which requires them to put their right foot down when stopped... so they can't hold the rear brake to keep the bike stopped. They have to use the front brake, and add throttle using that same hand to pull away from the stop.

As far as burning clutches, the key with the dry clutch is to keep the RPMs as low as possible while getting the bike going and then to get the clutch fully engaged asap. Listen to the RPMs of our motors in the video. Its actually very low, just high enough to give us the power we need without stalling out.

Have to hand it to you turning on an incline has to be one of the toughest moves on a motorcycle.

Especially the transition from uphill to cross hill.

Well done.

As far as burning clutches, the key with the dry clutch is to keep the RPMs as low as possible while getting the bike going and then to get the clutch fully engaged asap. Listen to the RPMs of our motors in the video. Its actually very low, just high enough to give us the power we need without stalling out.

Well, in theory I would agree with you. BUT, when you're staring down a huge, concrete covered mountainside the question of, "what happens if I stall this motorcycle about now?" rings through your heart in terror! So yeah, it takes practice and nerves of steel for sure.

Wow!

Wow!

I have trouble on a level road. That's outstanding! Question: I've read here several times that we should try not to drag the rear brake when making a U-turn (on a level road); what about on such an incline?

Cheerio.

Thanks. Most (probably all) motorcop schools teach to use rear brake when making downhill turning maneuvers. Rear brake only wouldn't cut it on the hill in the video though... that was combination breaking.

The trainees get to ride "right wheel" which requires them to put their right foot down when stopped... so they can't hold the rear brake to keep the bike stopped. They have to use the front brake, and add throttle using that same hand to pull away from the stop.

Try that on my old 52 Pan. No front brake. Stick Shift, Suicide Clutch. I know I couldn't do it...

Wonder how those old school bikers rode those California Hills ?

5083237257_a329b9164d_m.jpg

5083237327_fdd64af42a_m.jpg

5083832528_1674804661.jpg

This bike was a coffin on wheels....

In most cases, steeply inclined SF roadways terminate on a generally level intersection. I reckon those riders operating a jockey shift with a foot clutch and no front brake would lane split to the front and come to a stop at or in the intersection.

A little trip pre-planning also wouldn't hurt when riding such bikes. No doubt some go out of their way to avoid trouble with hills.

Is the technique for making a downhill or uphill U-turn different? What is it (blow by blow)? Thanks.

---John.

I don't believe the technique is any different from a level u-turn with the exception of using the rear brake to slow your decent... but the risk factor goes up a lot, which makes the rider's stress level go up, which often results in mistakes and bikes on their sides.

Archived