IGNORED

Police Bike Tires

Chunky

As I awaited the completion on the 12k service for my R1200RT I noticed the police version on a lift next to mine. The technician had just finished installing two new tires that intrigued me. I didn't recognize the tread pattern and was told these were special tires for the police model.Does anyone know about these tires? What brand and model? The tech said they were especially had for extended wear. I need new tires & if there's a set that will give me the wear of a ME880 for example, I'd like to know if I can get them.

The special quality of the police tires is that they have some ride-flat capability. Not normal riding, but safer when flat and you can ride it to the next corner or gas station. I had them once and did not like them, but that was 5 years ago. They were not specially high mileage. You can get them only through your BMW dealer, with a BMW part number, at a high price.

Kobo, you saw a R12RT Police unit? I understand the R12RT version was not being introduced until Dec 2005. I have been anticipating its debut to see how it will be outfitted (crash guards, pursuit lights, switches, radio box, etc).

I agree with the comment on the tires used on the Police models. Stiff sidewalls and soft compounds, all necessary for pursuit riding but not necessary for civilian use. Bob

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at the rear of the bike from my position so it may not have been an R1200RT. I guess I'll go with the Road Pilots. smile.gif

There are two reasons for the police spec tire: run-flat and speedometer calibration. The run-flat capability is only if the tire is dry-mounted.

The CHP spec for R1100RTP's is a Dunlop "SportMax A" (Rear=160/60xR18). Just took one off and replaced w/ Michelin Pilot Road, due to availability (or rather lack thereof) around here.

The tire didn't make much of an impression on me, but it's the first tire. I'll see how the Michelin goes.

They were not specially high mileage. You can get them only through your BMW dealer, with a BMW part number, at a high price.

Any idea about how much? What's the limit on the run-flat capability?

The R1100RT-Ps and R1150RT-Ps use different run-flat tires. While shopping for an RT-P, every retired 1100 I saw was equipped with the Dunlop D204 SportMax. My RT-P came with a brand new set. Even with run-flat capability, I wasn't too impressed with them. It's an old school tire, the design having been around since the mid '90s. Handling was okay, but I didn't like the 'feel' of the tires. I got about 5500 miles out of them and switched to Pilot Roads. For me, those tires were a huge improvement in ride and handling. Regular D204s aren't even produced anymore since the design is so old. I think the only ones still produced/sold are the Authority tires only available through BMW dealers. I have no idea how much they cost, but I'd certainly never buy one.

The 1150RT-Ps are all equipped with the Dunlop D205 SportMax run-flat tires. Even though the D205 is a newer design than the D204, I suspect that you'd still get a better (and cheaper) ride from a set of Pilot Roads, Z6s, etc.

Archived