IGNORED

Fuse Confusion in the Manuals

Les is more

If this has been mentioned before, I couldn't find it here so bear with me. I have found it in other digests/forums.

The repair manual (CD) for the 1150RTs (pre twin spark at least) shows that the #3 fuse position controls the RID, windshield, power outlets, OE socket and radio and takes a 15 amp fuse.

The Riders Manual that came with our bike shows the power sockets at 12 volts and indicates that they require a 15 amp fuse.

So far, so good. However, the Service and Technical Booklet that came with our bikes, in section 2, page 50, lists the #3 fuse position as controlling the RID and sockets and says that it takes a 4 amp fuse.

The 15 amp fuse is the correct one for the #3 position. If you find yourself plugging in Gerbings and then blowing the fuse when you try to move your windshield or that your RID acts up, make sure there's a 15 amp fuse in the #3 position.

Many thanks to Joe G. for pointing this out and double checking the info with his dealer in San Francisco.

Never fear, Ken. You've anwered many a question for me!

By the way, in case anyone is wondering why your manuals say FID instead of RID it's because they didn't change it from the German - "FAHRERINFORMATIONSDISPLAY"

What makes that circuit interesting is that the RID does work when the ignition is turned on with a blown or missing fuse.
Actually yes and no. The RID gets power from two sources, F3 which supplies 'keep alive' voltage for the clock and via the load relief relay to drive the display. So if F3 is blown, yes the RID will come on when you start up, but the clock will always be at 00:00!
I don't think the manual has ever been correct.

My '98 RT manuel lists 7.26 US gal fuel capacity; that's about one more than right. And then there's "If the suspension strut is adjusted to compensate for a change in load, the headlight beam throw is automatically reset as well."; I don't know what it means, but I like it.

Wooster

Thanks a bunch. I changed the #3 from a 15A to a 4A a few months back, when I saw this in the owners manual. I didn't think I needed to check the repair manual first.

dopeslap.gif

Fwiw, the cd repair manual has detailed descriptions of what each fuse protects, and it lists the #3 fuse as 15A, which is contrary to the little white Service and Technical Booklet (US Model) that most of us keep onboard for just this kind of thing.

Archived