IGNORED

HID Light Kit

frenchwv

HID's do provide a lot more light, and in general are worth the upgrade. Digital ballasts are smaller and a bit more expensive. The pricing shown on your URL is very expensive. Typical kit pricing delivered is around $80. vvme

Danny caddyshack Noonan

They make a huge difference on a R1100RT. I've got the vvme kit. Couldn't be happier. Well, I could but, 6 headlamps on a M/C would look stupid.

Kind of expensive. I've seen them for as low as $60. The digital ballasts are smaller but they normally come with a seperate igniter which is another small box so it may be a "false economy"

Better prices, excellent product. Buy 'em one or two at a time.

5000k is the best color choice if you ask me.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

That's quite a difference in price--$150 vs $45. Is the ddmtuning not plug and play?

---

I have a DDM kit on my RT. Pretty much plug and play - you run two wires to the battery, and plug in the new stuff. My only problem is that their 4300K bulb is closer to 5K, since it has a definite blue tint. I have heard that their bulbs may be labeled wrong, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

I have a VVME on my RS - the only problem with that kit is the length of the wire supplied - I have a big loop of excess wire under the plastic now. The RS headlight how needs no additional lighting to see on the dark lonely backroads.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Are there any issues using these HID kits with a headlight modulator?

Yes. It doesn't work and the modulator might damage the ballast.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Some hang the ballasts from the speaker locations. I was able to hang mine from the yoke coming off of the frame near where the horn is.

Survived-til-now

There are a number of pro's/cons with regard to HID lighting (I have them, even on my main beam) and it has been a regular thread on the board so I suggest you do a search. Thing to be aware of is that some kits are quicker to get the light up than others and so HID on main beam can lose the ability to flash a warning (once the ballast is fully loaded you can turn the light off for some time and get it back instantly)but perhaps the digital ballasts solve that problem?

Have a look at the "hids4U.co.uk" website there is some good advice on things like colour/color. I think I am on 6000K. I recommend you get as close to daylight as possible and stay away from blue (higher than 6000K). The biggest advantage of the whiter light is that you can spot mud etc on a wet road at night........

I just had an HID kit installed on my R1200RT and it is awesome. The lights are at least 5X brighter than the stock bulbs and allow me to see much more at night. They also allow more people to notice me during the day.

I upgraded the 2 low beams bulbs to HID and kept my High Beam as is with a headlight modulator for extra attention at intersections. I have had one bad wreck at an intersection and I never want to hear the words "I just never saw him!" coming from a cager again.

I believe that a lighting upgrade is one of the best upgrades you can make. But thats just me. This is the kit that I bought and installed. All plug and play.

http://www.1offmotorsports.com/Motorcycle-HID-Lighting/BMW-Motorcycle/BMW-R1200RT-HID-Xenon-Light-Kit-2005-2010.html

Does it make a big difference from stock lighting?

Oh, hell yeah! Absolutely amazing. I can't believe they aren't standard equipment on every bike. Best $60 I ever spent. :thumbsup:

Archived