IGNORED

newbie intro and seeking advice

luvabluzer

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate your comments on the R1100RT. I'm considering purchasing a 1999 model with 60k miles and a asking price of $5500. It has been dealer serviced with the service records available. Options include ABS, Motolights, heated grips, two tank bags, Ohlins shocks front and rear, 2 extra power outlets, custom seat, 52 litre topcase, hyperlight rear brake lights, Odyssey sealed battery. Is this a fair price?

I'm interested in known mechanical issues down the road. I've read the transmissions are a weak point on this model otherwise it's bulletproof. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Helmut

Seems like a reasonable price. I'd say you're in the ballpark, but it depends on how it looks. Some folks keep their bikes pristine, others (like me) tend to let the paint peel... I'd be interested in looking at whether the rear end's been rebuilt. And then check to see if the clutch, tires and brake pads are worn.

Hi Helmut and welcome aboard. My 99 rt has 102,000 miles and still going strong. The final drive was replaced at 65,000 and the transmission overhauled at 98,000. Some have these problems and others do not. In general, my opinion is that 99 is a great year in that things are fairly simple and easy to maintain. The ABS brakes are NOT linked and no servo assist which makes things easier. You may want to get an oil anaylisis done and you might try negotiating the price down some.

Bill,

Your experience with the final drive and transmission at those mileages is what I've heard is kind of common. How much did the repairs cost you?

Helmut

Paul Mihalka

Sounds like a good buy. I sold my '99 R1100RT 5 years ago with 175K miles, it is still running with the new owner. Things that failed: around 80K miles the Hall Effect Sensor (HES). Common failure because of aged wiring. I would replace it, not a big job. At 100K miles the clutch splines went. If possible, I would have it checked/cleaned/lubed, but it is a big job. At 150K miles the rear drive failed. At 150K I can forgive it.

elkroger,

As far as I know the rear end has not been worked on. The bike is not pristine but has not been abused either.

Helmut

Helmut-

For what it's worth, I think that's a high price. For reference, my dealer sold my trade-in 2004 R1150RT (fully farkled) with 66k miles for $6200.00. Craig's List in these parts shows good to excellent condition R1100RTs for $4k range with similar mileage.

-MKL

Depends on where you are and cosmetics, service history.

Just saw 2 similar vintage w/fewer miles go for under $5k.

But, the model will linger at a price point for many years.

Depending on mileage on the shocks they may be ready to rebuild.

Bill,

Your experience with the final drive and transmission at those mileages is what I've heard is kind of common. How much did the repairs cost you?

Helmut

I don't know about the final drive cost, the previous owner had it replaced. I had metal pieces on the drain plug when changing the transmission oil. Not knowing what it was, I trailered the bike to Anton in Charlottesville. I could have saved money if I had removed the tranny and sent it to him, but I didn't want to tackle the job so I asked him to do the complete job. He found a bad input shaft bearing and replaced it. Checked everything else, clutch, etc and lubed the splines.Total cost including the tear down, repair, and reassembly was $900.00. I thought it was very reasonable and the bike has been running great ever since.

moshe,

OK, what's the meaning of "fully farkled"

The fall used bike price guide in Motorcycle Consumer News has the 99 RT at just under 5K.

I've looked on Craig's list in Chicago and there just aren't many RT's out there right now.

Farkle is a word that you'll come to love, especially when you're putting it on your bike!

It means accessories. Little (or big) pieces of kit you'll add that make your bike "yours". From GPS to a cup holder.

When Moshe said fully farkled, he meant that the bike his dealer sold already had lots of accessories on it.

Welcome to the forum. I hope your bike hunt is sucessful. Best of luck.

C

After months of research, I just purchased a 98 RT in pristine condition for $6,000, which is admittedly high. The bike has 14,500 miles and has much of the equipment you mentioned. Comparatively. I believe you can do a lot better than $5,500 for the bike you referenced, given the mileage.

BTW, new postings for BMW bikes have risen significantly in the last couple of weeks. End of season sales, I guess. Make sure you check Craigslist every day. Google "craiglook". Great tool for automating Craigslist searches.

+1 on replacing the Hall Effect Sensor. On my '98 RT it went at 56K. Also had fuel pump problems right at that mileage.

Pricing seems in the ballpark. I'd check with the dealer who has done the service to see what their thoughts are on condition.

Archived