IGNORED

Laser (LIDAR) Jammer's on BMW's

Rocketman51

I am sure most of you that ride your BMW bike like they are made to be ridden have one time or another spoken to a LEO about your rapid pace over the highways and bi-ways of this great country.

With the current economic conditions there seems to be a major push to collect more money via the ticket book. Some states have raised there ticket prices so high,(CA, VA) you need to take a second mortgage out on your house to pay the fine.

Which brings me to the point of my post: How many BMW riders out there are running LADIR jammers and how well do they work? Those of you that have thought about it, might want to check out this site for latest info and trends.

http://www.radardetector.net/

I intend to install a system on my R1100RT before spring and wondered what kind of mounting positions those of you that have them have used.

Tnx

Lidar jammers do work, some very well. However, you should be aware of the fact that their use is illegal in some states. A product called VEIL is highly effective in reducing the LIDAR reflectivity of headlights and other reflective surfaces on your vehicle. Regardless of whether you use a jammer, VEIL can dramatically reduce your visibility to LIDAR. The independent tests show pretty astounding results, though invisibility is not guaranteed.

lawnchairboy

With the current economic conditions there seems to be a major push to collect more money via the ticket book. Some states have raised there ticket prices so high,(CA, VA) you need to take a second mortgage out on your house to pay the fine.

Surely you are not suggesting there is something other than public safety foremost in the mind of government traffic enforcement organizations?

I don't run anything currently, not even a detector (mainly because they are pretty useless in PA). But I have done a LOT of reading up on jammers and have always kept an eye out on reviews and what is available. I doubt I will do anything with my current RT, but I most likely will be doing something with whatever my next bike is.

So I don't have much input for mounting, but I'm certainly interested in what you find and what route you decide to go.

The last time I got a ticket was when I had a radar detector. Instant on radar is very effective when there is little traffic. I'll stick to the "allowable" speed limit, it eliminates one more concern when I'm riding.

Good luck with the jammer.

. I'll stick to the "allowable" speed limit, it eliminates one more concern when I'm riding.

A most remarkable fellow. Avoid a ticky award by observing the speed limit. Why, this statement should make you an instant PARIAH to most of the devotees here.

My helmet is off to you, sir.

Jammers and and detectors may help you avoid a ticket. But an experienced LEO could and probably will override these defenses.

Invest in these devices if you wish but your best defenses is your judgment, decision making ability and situational awareness.

What upflying said.

I was stuck road side years ago when the bike died and sat in a squad car with a NMHP waiting the tow truck. As we chatted he'd watch the oncoming traffic and give a guestimate of the speed then turn on the radar. Dead nuts on. He'd seen it a long time and could tell the speed of the cars by sight.

What upflying said.

I was stuck road side years ago when the bike died and sat in a squad car with a NMHP waiting the tow truck. As we chatted he'd watch the oncoming traffic and give a guestimate of the speed then turn on the radar. Dead nuts on. He'd seen it a long time and could tell the speed of the cars by sight.

One of my latest speeders stated, "How could you see how fast I was going? You were walking back to your car with your back to me when I passed you." I tried to explain to her that I had estimated her speed at a distance of approximately 1000 feet, had confirmed it with LIDAR at 900-600 feet, and was walking back to my car when she drove by me because I was coming to stop her. The concept that I had seen her, oberseved the violation and confirmed the violation before she ever saw me, somehow did not compute in her brain. RADAR and LIDAR are confirmation tools and are legally speaking not required. A police officer with speed enforcement experience could write a speeding ticket and get a conviction on visual estimation alone. The RADAR/LIDAR confirmation is just icing on the cake.

By all means buy a jammer, just realize that in many places you now upped the ante from an infraction to a misdemeanor. BTW operating a jammer will get you stopped even if you're not speeding. Picking you out will not be too difficult for an experienced traffic officer. :wave:

Always fun to stop a speeder with a detector proudly suction cupped to the windshield. I rub it in and ask, "your detector not working"?

How might you ask will a LEO identify a jammer equipped vehicle? When the LEO gets no speed display. As mentioned, cites can be issued visually estimated speed..no vision jammers that I am aware of yet.

Rocketman - Don't buy that cop mind game about how things will be worse for you if they catch you with a jammer and how easy it is to get a conviction on visual alone. It's all a mind game. I understand they have a job to do, but I don't have to help them do it.

In all but a handful of states and all military bases, laser jammers are legal. Radar jammers are illegal in all states. Radar detectors and legal in most states.

Having said that, don't speed. But...there will be times when you do exceed the speed limit due to a lapse in concentration or intentionally, for a reason. Kinda like those FULL STOPS you don't make at every stop sign.

My attitude is, is if the government is going to use high tech to monitor my activity, then I am going to use high tech to know when I'm being monitored.

If you do decide to avail yourself of the legal surveillance awareness tools, learn how to use them. Having the device alone, will not save you. You need to combine all elements of situational awareness ALONG with the technology.

Otherwise, Cops, like the above, will snag you. Finally, if you do get a LJ, be smart. Don't jam his gun and rub it in his face. You will just piss him off. Once you see that you've been painted, correct your speed and turn it off.

Believe me, given the choice of chasing you and having to be challenged in court on his "visual", versus picking off the next guy... he'll wait for the next guy who is 2 minutes behind you...

I think he was using de facto not de jure limit, nevertheless, an excellent plan.

If I translated your Latin(??) correctly then you are also correct. While I am not in favor of anarchy, I do think maintaining a speed commensurate with traffic is an important safety consideration - either way you have to go.

BTW - Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread.

Rocketman - Don't buy that cop mind game about how things will be worse for you if they catch you with a jammer and how easy it is to get a conviction on visual alone. It's all a mind game. I understand they have a job to do, but I don't have to help them do it.

"These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

We LEOs love those old Jedi mind tricks.

In all but a handful of states and all military bases, laser jammers are legal. Radar jammers are illegal in all states. Radar detectors and legal in most states.

California being in that handful. Detectors are not illegal, but go to prove intention in court. Whereas the guy who doesn't have one can pull the, "I didn't realize how fast I was going, I usually don't speed, your honor," defense, having a radar detector tends to invalidate this excuse. It could be the factor that gets you traffic school, versus not getting it.

Having said that, don't speed. But...there will be times when you do exceed the speed limit due to a lapse in concentration or intentionally, for a reason. Kinda like those FULL STOPS you don't make at every stop sign.

I think if you can justify spending $400-2000 on yamming equipment, you're not the guy who speeds "due to a lapse in concentration or unintentionally".

My attitude is, is if the government is going to use high tech to monitor my activity, then I am going to use high tech to know when I'm being monitored.

If you do decide to avail yourself of the legal surveillance awareness tools, learn how to use them. Having the device alone, will not save you. You need to combine all elements of situational awareness ALONG with the technology.

Again, passively monitoring speed measuring devices is fine, however, actively interfering with them is not. Thus, jamming is considered a more serious crime than the underlying offense of speeding.

Believe me, given the choice of chasing you and having to be challenged in court on his "visual", versus picking off the next guy... he'll wait for the next guy who is 2 minutes behind you...

If you truly believe that, I'd suggest you stay in Florida and avoid any trips to southern California. :wave:

"These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

We LEOs love those old Jedi mind tricks.

:grin:Yes, I know... :grin: "So, Do you know why I pulled you over? "

California being in that handful. Detectors are not illegal, but go to prove intention in court. Whereas the guy who doesn't have one can pull the, "I didn't realize how fast I was going, I usually don't speed, your honor," defense, having a radar detector tends to invalidate this excuse. It could be the factor that gets you traffic school, versus not getting it.

That's nice except I still got ticketed. With a little skill in the use of technology and situational awareness, theres a very good chance I won't have to worry about appearing in front of a judge..

I think if you can justify spending $400-2000 on yamming equipment, you're not the guy who speeds "due to a lapse in concentration or unintentionally".

Agreed. For some, it's IPODs. For me, the entertaininmnment value of RD/LJ's is priceless. Plus the cost or yamming is a bargain compared the costs of a ticket, points, insurance etc.,

Again, passively monitoring speed measuring devices is fine, however, actively interfering with them is not. Thus, jamming is considered a more serious crime than the underlying offense of speeding.

Uh..once agian, if it's not illegal, it's not illegal...therfore, no crime.

If you truly believe that, I'd suggest you stay in Florida and avoid any trips to southern California. :wave:

Noted. When in Rome....

Agreed. For some, it's IPODs. For me, the entertaininmnment value of RD/LJ's is priceless. Plus the cost or yamming is a bargain compared the costs of a ticket, points, insurance etc.,

Until I stop you, impound your car/bike for evidence, store it at your expense and then confiscate all your "contraband". All within the legal scope of LEOs in California, per VC 28150 and VC 22655.5.

Just saying, might be pricier than you think... :eek:

After a few performance awards in my early days, I now only run "hot" when I have a "rabbit" and a "tortoise" with me ;)

Damned Skippy. That's why I have cruise control and a clear record.

Archived