IGNORED

Arai Q2 face shield difficult to remove

New2Wheeler

I have a Quantum II helmet and have been happy with it so far (about 2 years). Recently the face shield is getting very difficult to remove. I use the silicon lubricant periodically (sparingly), but I wonder if maybe it has gunked up otherwise picked up some debris behind the visor cover... Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I haven't figured out if the visor attachment mechanism cover is removable (or how).

thanks in advance!

Learn to remove the side pods. Maybe there are bugs and such in the mechanism. Really easy and you can learn how the mechanism works with the pods off.

With most Arai's you should have received a small owners manual. I have an old Quantum e that I updated a few years ago.

From the Quantum e manual:

1) To remove the shield, first place it in the fully open position.

2) The lock system is only released by pulling the lower edge of the shield outward when the shield is in the fully open position.

3) In order to remove the shield smoothly, take one side at a time, placing your thumb at the upper edge close to the shield holder.

4) Keeping some pressure on the shield holder, grasp the lower edge of the shield with your fingers and twist the lower edge simply outward and simultaneously pull the shield upward and the end of the shield will come free.

5) Repeat for the other side.

Now this works for a Quantum e, not sure if the process is the same for a Quantum 2.

Hope this helps.

Eddie.... the video is exactly what I needed... Now let's see if I can do it without breaking anything!! I'll report back results later in the weekend. thanks

Okay that was pretty easy. I also found the book that came with the helmet, and found similar instructions (but the video was the best). Considering that I hadn't done this in two years, it wasn't as dirty as I thought it might be. Shield removal seems to be more like it was before....

How much and how often do you lubricate the shield? I have used half to three-quarters of the little vial in 2 yrs (I guess that is sparingly). I remove the shield every couple of days to clean (I like a clean view). What replacement lube do you use?

thanks

Nice n Easy Rider
How much and how often do you lubricate the shield? I have used half to three-quarters of the little vial in 2 yrs (I guess that is sparingly). I remove the shield every couple of days to clean (I like a clean view). What replacement lube do you use?

thanks

Matt, I had to replace my original shield because of a large scratch (wind blew the helmet off the seat). At that time I lubed as suggested by Arai. Much to my dismay, I could no longer leave the shield in a partially-up position which I prefer for ventilation/fogging control. It moves TOO easily now. So be sparing with the lubricant if you think you might want to leave the shield partially open at any time.

thanks everyone for the input. I suspect it was just the small amount of dirt and grit that was making removal more difficult. I'm pretty good a breaking things.... and would hate to have to park the bike waiting on helmet parts (guess I could wear the dirtbike helmet though...).

Hey thanks for that video link. The missus has an Arai, and crimony she / we have been doing it wrong all this time. Guess that's a big RTFM for me.

Archived