IGNORED

spoiler on touring windscreen

bellingham r1150r

bellingham r1150r

Greetings...first post.

I have an 02 R1150R that I just purchased. I put a ztechnic touring screen on it, but I still get unacceptable buffeting/noise at helmet level. I am looking at the laminar lip, but honestly like the design of the MRA VARIO spoiler better.

Twisted throttle doesn't show an application for the VARIO for the touring screen. Has anyone been able to fit any of the VARIO models on this screen? I am 6'0 w/ a 34" inseam.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've recently added a laminar lip to my ST1300 screen. I'm happy with the result. It allow me to ride with the visor open on my helmet, where that used to produce way to much turbulance. I don't have any experience with the VARIO.

Saeng Edging adds two inches of height to air blast - but not to bugs.

Anybody with turbulence at ear level definitely need to fix it.

I think that might be a lot of people.

Don't assume BMW know what they are doing with ergos just because they say so.

Ben

Ergos also vary by rider height, arm length and bike setup. For example, a 1 1/2" riser on the handlebars will put your head higher and further back than stock. Seat height and position plays a part also. Lots of other variables too, such as crosswinds. No setup is absolutely perfect, even with adjustable windshields.

bellingham r1150r

thanks for the info. I haven't ran across Saeng Edging, but will search on the Internet for info.

The reason I was attracted to the VARIO style is because it looks to be somewhat adjustable in the angle of attack for the wind, whereas the laminar lip is only attached in one position.

As far as the engineering, and I am in agreement. It seems if the shield was a bit more vertical, it would help. I actually put 1/2" rubber bushings on the top mounts, and did have improvement, but not enough yet.

I found their website....they are pretty proud of the product.

Well they would be wouln't they.

Even the ugliest beast is generally loved by it's mother.

Please not I am not deriding the product, just your playful observation :-)

Andy

I tried the Saeng edging on my HD Roadglide and found it useless. Sent it back.

paul

Saunders was an aeronautical engineer.

Lots of reasons why someone might find a product useless for their application.

But the edging works exactly as they say and it only takes one bare hand in the airstream to confirm that.

I have a rather tall windscreen. Adding a 7 inch piece of the Saeng edging to the top seemed a better design choice for weight, strength, water control, wind contouring, appearance, and ease of making it, than adding plexiglass.

BTW, there are some web postings about making your own from VW door gaskets. While the cross-section might be similar, the Saeng product has trick clips embedded.

Ben

have you considered tilting the screen back a few degrees? I had very annoying buffeting behind the windscreen on my '98 C until I tilted it back to match front fork angle. Did that on the advice of a buddy who used to fly choppers in the army (pretty knowledgeable about aero-dynamics). He said the buffeting was most likley caused by the vacuum due to the screen being too upright and no gap at the bottom to kill the vacuum. I gave it a try; end result was smooth air around my head; mission accomplished.

The reason I was attracted to the VARIO style is because it looks to be somewhat adjustable in the angle of attack for the wind, whereas the laminar lip is only attached in one position.
What I did with my lip is temporarily mount it with duct tape, prior to permanent installation. There is a fair bit of latitude in the positioning and flex you can give it (to vary the slot depth) depending on where you decide to place the 3M adhesive dots. I used bits of knitting wool and masking tape to create tell-tales and rode with it taped in position.

I think that the finished installation looks clean and uncluttered. YMMV. And I can remove the whole thing later (even move it to another bike) without leaving holes the original windshield.

I also had the advantage on the ST1300, of being able to mount the windshield in one of two factory positions that vary the angle at a given height. That, combined with the electric adjustment, gives lots of room to play with it. Although, in its final position, I seem to ride mostly with the windshield in the full-down positon now.

Archived