IGNORED

Tank bag

kmac

I just picked my NTM 96 r1100rt and i am thinking about a tank bag.

Im sure it has been discussed here before, but i stink at searches for that stuff, im new here and still figuring it out.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for brands of tank bags i would appreciate it.

I would like a bag with clear top sheath for a map, like a 8.5x11 photocopy of a thomas bros map book page.

I dont need alot of storage, and definately DONT want it in the way. It is my only street bike so not only do i tour on it, i also ride like a sport bike, so i like not having anything in my way.

I would like the clear sheath to be able able to hold a number of sheets...i dont use GPS...

Maybe just room for some pocket items and a hat...?

Thanks

Kelly

The only way to use a magnetic bag on your bike is to glue magnets to the underside of the tupperware.

8.5x11 is a really big map pocket. Bags with large map pockets are generally pretty large overall.

Big Mac - no affiliation, just extreemly satisfied, and no glue or magnets required.

One source through Cycle Gadgets, watch the net for a used one.

+1 on Big mac. best bag on the market. My first bag lasted 7 years. finally the zipper wore out. taking to a local repair shop, they will replace the zipper, and I expect another 7 years. When considering the quality and how long you can keep this bag, IMO Big Mac is the best value for the money spent

just a user of the bag ( I own 3) no affiliation.

There is quite a write-up on this page here: http://www.bmwst.com/faq/luggage.htm

I am perfectly happy with the OEM BMW tank bag I have on my RT. It is well secured, easy to slide away for gas cap access and has plenty of flexibility with three layers for storage. I especially like the ability to remove the map envelope completely. You can take it into a restaurant at lunch to ponder the afternoon ride or flip it over to access a map on the other side.

I've travelled all over the US and Canada with this bag, in all kinds of weather, and it hasn't let me down. I have a BMW tank electrification plug to mine, so all of my electronics stay nice and dry.

IMG_0122.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Last month I bought a Big Mak off of ebay from a seller in Campbell or Los Gatos CA. Good price, excellent service.

I have an SW Motech City bag with electrification. It snaps on and off a ring that you mount on the gas tank ring. Works very slick. It is for sale since I'll be trading in the spring for a new 2010rt.

There is quite a write-up on this page here: http://www.bmwst.com/faq/luggage.htm

I am perfectly happy with the OEM BMW tank bag I have on my RT. It is well secured, easy to slide away for gas cap access and has plenty of flexibility with three layers for storage. I especially like the ability to remove the map envelope completely. You can take it into a restaurant at lunch to ponder the afternoon ride or flip it over to access a map on the other side.

I've travelled all over the US and Canada with this bag, in all kinds of weather, and it hasn't let me down. I have a BMW tank electrification plug to mine, so all of my electronics stay nice and dry.

IMG_0122.jpg

I have the OE bag- but you say the electrification kit is also BMW? Do you know the part number, or if its available/listed for Europe?

Ok so i ended up ordering a Nelson-Rigg CL135

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/29036/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Touring-CL-135-Tank-Bag.aspx&vg=6b9792b5-55e2-47e0-2e30-eb4ae38af0e6&rm=t

the map holder is not quite as big as i wanted, but the bag is very expandable, a nice size, and alot of good features for 72 bucks...the map holder is big enough to put a copy of a map book page vertically if i trim off all of the unneccesary edges and stuff....looks good no?

Looks like a nice choice. I'd like to suggest a way to mount the bag that will work well with your RT.

On each side of the front of the tank there is a threaded hole. I cut the straps to length and used a pencil-type soldering iron to make a hole for a bolt. Run the soldering iron over any cut ends ro keep them from fraying.

orig.jpg

For the rear straps I used the same method, but secured to the tupperware screws at the front of the seat.

orig.jpg

Here is the final product.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

That is a great idea, i think im gonna do that on the rear of the tank, nearest the seat. But on the front of the tank there is already 2 strap eyelets bolted into those 2 threaded screw holes i think you are refering to. My guess is that it had a tank bag on it before and they kept it, but didnt take off the mounting brackets...so that part is easy.

ok so i got my nelson-rigg CL-135 tank back yesterday. great size, nice map pouch size, looks nice and sturdy with good zippers. Pretty much what i was looking for....but...most of the stitching that attaches the velcro seems to be unraveling. And one of the zipper pull tabs is sewn into the bag so you cant close the zipper...

Has anyone else used a nelson-rigg luggage product? Was it of poor quality? Do you think this a random monday morning hangover bag and i should just ask for a replacement or is this typical of this brand and i should request my money back and look for somethink else?

It sucks because it is otherwise great looking...

Condolences on the slow death of your tank bag...

I just got the nerve to toss a couple oldies out of the garage, zippers, plastic connectors gone south.

RKA is making a reinforced bag with power features. I took that idea and used an old face shield from my helmet as a reinforcement, pop riveted in place, to keep some shape to the front of the bag. I tie wrapped a dual power plug for the GPS and whatever to the front of the bag. That plugs into the cigar lighter on the handlebars.

The mod you are showing here is a clean installation but you'd have to be digging inside bag all the time.

LOL...not so slow of a death when you open the package and it is unraveling brand new...it gets worse...just posted more details on it in a new thread in "riders discuss other..." on "Motorcycle Superstore"

Archived