IGNORED

R1200RT and GPS

drodg

I bought every option on my R1200RT but the GPS. I just tried GPS on a new Chrysler 300 over the weekend and loved it. What does it cost to install and generally speaking what is your feedback on it? I am thinking of going with the BMW unit I think it might be called the system 2?

HI

i put a garmin 2610 on my 1200 rt ,about the same but cheaper than the BMW unit. you need to purchase a mounting system, i used a mount from Motorrad concepts that fits on the top of the fairing just below the screen ,there are other cheaper ways of doing it ie a Ram mount that uses one of the handlebar fixing bolts ,and i think the bmw mount will work . In the uk a garmin 2610 can be had for less than £550. + a motorcycle fitting kit for around £50 .

The 2610 and the NavII are not quite the same. They may look the same and function similarly but internally they are different. The NavII is shock hardened inside and will work with the cradle. The 2610 will mount up in the cradle but the interface buttons for gloved hands will not function. Whatever route you decide to go, I have a cradle and all cables for the setup I can sell you. The only thing you would be missing would be the RT specific mounting brackets. If you can buy the alone, you could have a OE setup for mounting for considerably less ching! If interested, email me jlasawyer@charter.net or call (757)639-7925

Jody

I have the BMW GPS on my RT12.....I bought a Garmin 330c for my car and I used it on the Harley...I like it much more than the NavII on the BMW.....it's already programed and the touch screen works great with gloves and going 80mph......my $.02

It's 1/2 the price.................

Larry

I do not know if it's water proof (I suspect it isn't).....I used the suction cup to hold the GPS (it came with the GPS) it covered the tac on the Harley and it worked great....who needs a tac on a Harley....It did rain alot on our trip and the GPS worked fine....

LARRY

I have used 3 different GPS units on bikes, all Garmin. I now use a 2610, which works well. We have a 330, but that unit is not waterproof and the mount seems to be a bit fragile. I use a ram mount for the 2610, the touch screen works fine if you put a small plastic stud on one of your fingers.

Another method of dealing with touch screen GPS's I saw in Spokane WA MOA Nat. rally was to get a black tiewrap with the eye hole for screwing it down and attach that to your handle bar. Once that is done you get one of the PDA soft tip "writers" attach it with nylon string (dental floss) and store it in the hole of the tie wrap. You can grab it for use with gloves and have precise use. clap.gif

A second question if I buy like a Garmin 2600 series are they all waterproof?

You might want to check Garmin's website. I did a while back, as I have a 2610. It says it is waterproof to a certain spec - I think 1 meter under for a given time....

all the best,

Mike

Yes I have.

I have been moving it around and found for me it works best mounted with an L bracket type mount that uses the old mirror hole. This puts it above the clutch master cylinder.

It has no obstructions of the mirror or dash. This keeps it out of site line at night so you can see the road with no obstructions. Right now it`s Velcro on the base but as soon as the arm gets made I`ll work out the wire routing.

For power I tapped into the left fairing outlet and use a cigarette type plug that powers my radar and gps. This way its run off the power buss system of the bike and shuts off after a short period of time.

Just this last weekend I had the dealer install the BMW/Garmin Nav II unit on my R1200RT. At the same time I had an Autocom system put on. They work together and I love it. The GPS gives gives audio instructions that the Autocom pipes right into your helmet. I have the GPS set to "British English" so this great female British voice says "In 300 feet, turn right." It's too much! The GPS unit works perfectly, and of course, a motorcycle is the THE ideal vehicle for a GPS. There's no roof to interfere with satellite signals and you are much more likly to want to "just see" what's down that road you've never explored, and more likely to need help getting home after you've asked that question 3 or 4 times in a row, branching further and further into the country and getting lost! I haven't had any other GPS, so I can't compare this with others, but I like this thing. Type in an address you want to go to and it will plan the whole trip for you, telling you where to turn, etc. You can program it to avoid the speed trap in Waldo, Florida! I didn't realize these GPS units did all this. I thought they mostly gave you a moving map of where your are. It's a lot more than that. It may be overpriced compared to other Garmin units, but I like the Navigator II. If there is any downside, it is a small one, and that is that if you have all the accessories for the 1200RT, then the tank bag is one of them. The tank bag "almost" interfere's with your view of the GPS screen. It blocks a little of the plastic housing of the GPS and maybe just a teensy of the lit screen area. If you crush the tank bag down, just the slightest bit, that goes away for a while, until your tank bag reinflates itself and again threatens to infringe. I think a small strap around the tank bag, fore an aft, would solve it easily, pushing the bag down a bit in the middle. Also being taller that 5'9" would solve it as well, and you may be a bit taller. This GPS is an outstanding toy! Combined with the Autocom, it's a jaw dropper.

-Eric

Archived