IGNORED

BMW Security Alarm / Key with Chip ??

BostonBagger

BostonBagger

I just bought an 07 BMW K1200 GT. I'm told that the key is special and has a chip that is required for the engine to start and disables the electrical system.

First, is this true, and second, does BMW offer a kit that adds an tamper alarm that can be added onto an existing system?

Regards

Phil

Firefight911

Yes and yes.

The key has a chip that is recognized by the EWS ring. It is unique to your vehicle. To get a new key requires a trip to the dealer where, after verifying identity and vehicle ownership, a key can be ordered. IIRC, to the tune of $60 roughly. Note, I said ordered. It is not a locksmith function and can not be done while you wait.

As for an additional alarm, yes, you can purchase the BMW system which is somewhat plug and play with a software flash for the unit to be recognized by the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have an idea on how much it cost to add a BMW alarm and does it have a proximity sensor to discourage moving the bike by hand?

• 2 months later...
BostonBagger

Just bought a scorpio SR-i900 alarm with 2-way FM paging remote for feedback to the owner should anything happen. This is the second Scorpio alarm that I've owned. Great piece of technology and for the same price of a BMW alarm, I have the comfort of knowing if something comes even close to my bike, never mind tipping the bike over, bumping into it or trying to take something from the bike. The proximity sensor is adjustable. Would highly recommend this unit.

Archived