IGNORED

I guess we could call this Instant Bad Karma

ltljohn

Philadelphia Inquirer headline: "Rats Busted by Pig in Blanket" :rofl:

N.B. the above reference to "pig" is meant as a humorous play on words and not intended to imply anything (except humor).

Well, wonder how the Brotherhood of police cover ups works in instances like this. Hey we all work for the same cause, can't we all just get along?

How bout the cop in SO Cal that got busted for unpleasant booty bashing.

How well does bad apple cleansing get done?

Can't say I'm really surprised. Many of the LEO's I've come across in social situations have had really questionable morals.

Had a group of them cheat repeatedly in an archery league. (For the glory and a $10 trophy)

Had another brag about getting hammered and driving "cause he could". You know, secret handshake and all.

In fact, I can think of only one (retired IL Trooper) who I would trust at all.

Sat on a jury about seven years ago where the trunk full of pot went missing between arrest and the jury trial for weapons charges. Seems the East Saint Louis - State of Illinois chain of custody was a little lax as well.

Can't say I'm really surprised. Many of the LEO's I've come across in social situations have had really questionable morals.

Had a group of them cheat repeatedly in an archery league. (For the glory and a $10 trophy)

Had another brag about getting hammered and driving "cause he could". You know, secret handshake and all.

Sat on a jury about seven years ago where the trunk full of pot went missing between arrest and the jury trial for weapons charges. Seems the East Saint Louis - State of Illinois chain of custody was a little lax as well.

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with there...

Considering how many thousands of LEOs there are in our nation, I think you're selling us a little short by implying that the majority of LEOs are corrupt and crooked.

Just like all other "honorable" professions like doctors, judges, firemen, etc. have members that are criminals, there are police officers that are criminals. I know of several police officers that have been fired for abusing their police powers or for committing crimes, but compared to the overall number of officers that work in my area they are a small percentage.

Luckily, on a national scale there is a movement away from the "good old boys club" and towards more transparency and public accountability for police departments. You'll never be able to get rid of all police officers that operate outside of the law, but I think there will be a continued reduction in their numbers over time.

Stories like the one from PA make me sick. These guys should never have been given the opportunity to become police officers in the first place.

I haven't watched but the premiere of the new NYCPD series with Tom Selleck but they indicated a story line of a secret PD society.

If it's on Telly, it must be true.....

Kinda like the Hippocratic oath becoming the Hypocritic oath. Where's morals man? If all were right, the drug lords would be turning states evidence after going to church. :rofl:

Inevitably, you'll run into some bad apples in every profession. I've been around a lot of LEOs in my life and they probably suffer the same afflictions that the rest of us do at about the same rate as the general population. However, there is a substantial percentage that are straight shooters--they would never lie, cheat or steal. It's just not in them.

The whole "professional courtesy" thing is largely dying away. It's not completely dead, but the penalties for abuse of power--i.e., flashing one's badge to get out of trouble--are pretty significant in most cases.

A lot of it has to do with the company they keep, crooks, and the way the crooks are handled by the so-called "justice system."

Problem is, if you swim in a septic tank you gotta work mighty hard not to wind up smelling like a turd. Some guys just don't have it in 'em to avoid it. Others, most by far, use moral deodorant.

Pilgrim

Joe Frickin' Friday
A lot of it has to do with the company they keep, crooks, and the way the crooks are handled by the so-called "justice system."

Problem is, if you swim in a septic tank you gotta work mighty hard not to wind up smelling like a turd. Some guys just don't have it in 'em to avoid it. Others, most by far, use moral deodorant.

Pilgrim

Some armchair psychology on my part:

I suspect there are primarily two kinds of people who become police officers.

One kind wants to be a force for good, to help people and to push back on the chaos and disorder. They approach the job as a moral calling, and derive a daily sense of satisfaction from helping society run smoothly.

The other wants simply to wield power over others, and being a police officer is a legal way to do that: you get to tell people what to do, and you look forward to the opportunity to use physical force when they don't comply. For these guys, it's a good day when they get to bust some heads.

Assuming this model is correct, I suspect the latter type is more susceptible to corruption than the former. This is Denzel Washington in Training Day; this is the cop whose dashboard-camera video ends up on the evening news showing him engaging in excessive/arbitrary violence against arrestees; this is the cop who robs drug dealers because he knows they can't do a damn thing about it.

Man, I'm glad to see references to the film, "Training Day". I thoroughly enjoyed that movie. Denzel played that role a bit too well! I'm glad he's not really in law enforcement :eek:

OK, back to the discussion at hand :grin:

Archived