IGNORED

R1150 RT Windshield Lift Mechanism

Robt_J_Webster

Robt_J_Webster

Well, my windshield lift mechanism has gone from an occassional rap on the top edge of the windshield every now and then to work to needing a rap every time. It seems to be a loose connection as the position doesn't seem to matter. If I am on a fairly rough road, it works without encouragement. Does anyone have a good handle on what exactly needs to be removed from the fairing to access the wiring to the limit switches and the motor itself? I really don't want to tear off any more tupperware than I have to.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert,

You may want to check the handlebar switch. I found that the micro-switch that controlled the 'up' movement was failing on my 1100RT. I ended up buying a new left handlebar switch unit on ebay for about $70.00 US. The retail for that part is around $180.00 US.

Good luck,

Mark

Rob

May I suggest at your next service, you remove the tupperware and the nose fairing. Then you will have access to the screen mechanism, the screen relays and all the electrics. At that point you can remove the relays and establish whether your handlebar switches are working.

You can also inspect the relays (maybe substitute the relays one for the other). Also check the mechanical drive side of things too).

Andy

Robt_J_Webster

Thanks for the feedback.

I am fairly certain that the problem is not in the handlebar switch, but I haven't completely ruled it out. Fiddling with the switch has no impact, but rapping the top of the windshield which would transfer down to the lift mechanism and the associated wiring works every time. I really don't want to strip all the tupperware off, but this is really beginning to become annoying. Guess that I will have to move a scheduled maintenance up to make pulling all the plastic worthwhile.

Unfortunately, just about everything with relation to the screen is behind the fairing nose section. So you know what you've got to do!

Andy

Archived