IGNORED

K100RS

Tyler Wattles

Tyler Wattles

I have a 1986 K100RS. I dumped it a couple of weeks ago and broke the right side turn signals off. I was laid up for a couple of weeks and just had a chance to put the turn signals back on. I connected everything, tested the turn signals and everything works normally. I then went to start the bike and the battery was flat dead. It wouldnt even run the digital clock on the instrument cluster. Its an older battery so I took it out, topped off the acid and reinstalled the battery. I tried to jump the bike off of an old chevy truck, but as soon as the cables made contact with the battery, the entire bike came to life. The headlight came on, the guage lights, and even the engine cranked over, all with the ignition switch turned off. I again took the battery out, and simply charged it off the truck. I know that this is probably too much voltage but like I said its an older battery and I'm planning on replacing it on payday. When I reinstalled the battery, now charged, as soon as I touch the leads to the battery terminals the bike tries to crank over, again with the ignition switch off. If I turn the kill switch to the off position, it doesnt crank, but the lights all still come on. I thought that some how even though there are only two wires to each turn signal that I had wired something improperly. I took the turn signals back off, and it still cranks by only touching the leads to the battery. I have started the bike several times since the accident and today is the first I've had any trouble. Any Suggestions?

Low battery + old K-bikes = welded starter relay.

You might be able to pull it and clean the contacts, or, of course, you can replace it.

(I don't recommend what solved it for me: moron at gas station hooking his jumpstarter up backwards.)

Dennis Andress
(I don't recommend what solved it for me: moron at gas station hooking his jumpstarter up backwards.)

What's wrong with that???? :eek:

Tyler Wattles

Thanks a lot. You were exactly right. I have an old parts bike and took the relay off it and it fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Archived