IGNORED

Lee Parks - Total Rider Control Training

FLrider

Every year or so, I take a training course because I like to improve my skills and break old bad habits. Last year I took a private lesson from our own motorman. Focus of his class was slow speed maneuvering, braking and throttle/clutch manipulation.

This year I'm thinking about taking the Lee Parks class. From what I can gather the focus is on cornering, selecting your lines, entering, trail braking, etc.,

What caught my interest in this class was my recent experience up on the BRP, Hills in NC, Kentucky etc.,

I rode well but I must admit, I was envious of the guys who just burned through the corners. Never saw any brake lights and they entered at speeds well in excess of what I would be comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong. I navigated the turns both left/right, uphill/downhill, just fine. It's just I don't like barreling around a turn when I cant see what's on the other side of the turn. I did that when I was a younger man, but as I've gotten older, I guess I am more sensitive to the risks.

Anyway, despite my acceptable comfort level in turns, I still don't feel like I have it nailed down in every turn. Yes, there were some turns up in the NC mountains where I felt myself grab the grips and my azz pucker.

I guess part of the reason is that, here in FL, we just don't have that many roads to challenge your riding skills. Yes, we have them but unless you go seek them out, your normal, daily riding isn't going to include them. As a result, I don't get to practice that often.

So, I guess my question is; Has anyone taken the Lee Parks course? If so, Why and did it meet your expectations?

I took it 3 years ago, it is in a parking lot, I felt it was hard to capture trail braking, cornering at speed, it was great fro low speed control, doing figure 8s and leaning your bike over to it's limits, all at slow speeds.

I took the course at Daytona 3 years ago and felt it was worth it. It bridges the gap between the MSF Experienced Rider Course and a track school. The course was low speed of course but the focus on managing traction during acceleration, braking, and cornering carries right into quick street riding. You can use the skills everyday.

I've taken both the level 1 and level 2 classes. Both were taught by Lee when we was on travel in the northeast around Americade time. Definitely worth doing, IMO.

....It's just I don't like barreling around a turn when I cant see what's on the other side of the turn. I did that when I was a younger man, but as I've gotten older, I guess I am more sensitive to the risks.

If this is why you want to take a course---to learn to be "fearless" enough to "barrell around" blind turns....it's the wrong reason. As you got older, you got smarter. :thumbsup:

You may be too late to join up this year, but the local BMW club (www.bmwnef.org) is hosting a school / track day at JenningsGP in north FL (www.jenningsgp.com) in a couple weeks. A guy named Dean Brown is running it. His e-mail is twthinking@yahoo.com.

I think you are past the registration date, but it can't hurt to shoot him an e-mail. Join the club and go next year if you're too late for this year. It's a fabulous training opportunity.

You may be too late to join up this year, but the local BMW club (www.bmwnef.org) is hosting a school / track day at JenningsGP in north FL (www.jenningsgp.com) in a couple weeks. A guy named Dean Brown is running it. His e-mail is twthinking@yahoo.com.

I think you are past the registration date, but it can't hurt to shoot him an e-mail. Join the club and go next year if you're too late for this year. It's a fabulous training opportunity.

It is next weekend the 16th...

I took Lee Parks class a few years ago. I thought it was great, and translated very well to the street.

It's about control, not about speed. Once you have control of yourself and your cycle, then you can pick where and how fast you go.

....It's just I don't like barreling around a turn when I cant see what's on the other side of the turn. I did that when I was a younger man, but as I've gotten older, I guess I am more sensitive to the risks.

If this is why you want to take a course---to learn to be "fearless" enough to "barrell around" blind turns....it's the wrong reason. As you got older, you got smarter. :thumbsup:

I hear ya. Not so much that I want to barrel through the turns, I would just like to approach and execute with more "smoothness" and confidence.

The Jennings program looks interesting but couldn't pull that one off at such short notice.

I did sign up for the Parks class on the 23rd. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Hopefully, all the paint that came with the bike will stay with the bike....

Did it about four years ago. (When we were still in Kansas.) As mentioned, it’s about finesse, fine motor inputs and movement control. E.g. – Coming to a stop from 30 mph with no visible headlight dip. Or doing an exercise in the exact same track/path each and every time.

One thing that I thought was a bit ‘cheating’ is they had us air our tires down at the start, ostensibly for better safety. But to me that distorted the feel of the course/training a bit.

Still, I thought it was time and money well spent.

Archived