IGNORED

Oil cooler for GS?

canoehead

I'm working on a 2001 1150GS project bike. Among other things, the oil cooler got dinged and has a small leak. I'd read in an article discussing some of the design that went inot the GS that it has an oil cooler "borrowed" from the RT. From the research I've done, it would appear the GS/RT part numbers for the cooler units are different. Can anyone tell me if there's a possibility of RT cooler bolt on to a GS, either directly or with a bit of modification?

Failing that, could a rad shop do a repair to an oil cooler with a pinhole leak?

thanks for any guidance

Rolf

I think the mounting to the sub-frame is different. Not to say that it might not be adaptable, but it would probably be easer to find the right one. They should be readily available on the salvage market.

It would probably be easer to find the right one. They should be readily available on the salvage market.

I'd prefer to put the right one on, but the only oil cooler I've found on the salvage market is from an RT, hence the question. Any pointers to sources for used parts?

Slartidbartfast
Failing that, could a rad shop do a repair to an oil cooler with a pinhole leak?
Go and talk to a rad shop. Take the rad with you - a pinhole leak in an otherwise sound all-metal radiator should be a trivial repair for them. One of my friends got a holed K75 radiator repaired for about five bucks.

Mike Figielski at beemerboneyard.com just confirmed for me that the mounts for an RT oil-cooler are different enough from the GS that it won't just bolt on, even though the cooler itself is similar enough in size.

Anybody know of other salvage sources that might have parts?

thanks

Archived