IGNORED

MotoGP Last Two Laps

EffBee

russell_bynum

IMO, it was:

1. HIGHLY entertaining from a spectator standpoint

2. Rossi being very effective at getting inside of Lorenzo's head. the last two laps of Motegi should be considered the first salvo in the 2011 Championship battle.

3. An incredibly stupid thing for Rossi to do to a teammate who is fighting for the title.

IMO, it was:

2. Rossi being very effective at getting inside of Lorenzo's head. the last two laps of Motegi should be considered the first salvo in the 2011 Championship battle.

3. An incredibly stupid thing for Rossi to do to a teammate who is fighting for the title.

3. An incredibly stupid thing for Lorenzo to do when he did not need the position for the championship and Rossi had nothing to lose.

There, fixed for you ;)

Andy

russell_bynum
IMO, it was:

3. An incredibly stupid thing for Lorenzo to do when he did not need the position for the championship and Rossi had nothing to lose.

There, fixed for you ;)

Andy

Seems really simple to me: Lorenzo is in the fight. Rossi is not.

Sure, Lorenzo could have sat back and given up a few points. But sometimes the title comes down to a few points.

If Lorenzo and Rossi were on different teams, I'd say "Bring it on!". But on the same team?

Edwards said it best, "There aren't any team orders...but I'm not retarded."

Aw, it was just Lorenzo going to school. He's been pissy ever since Rossi snatched victory in the last corner in Catalunya last year. But with Jorge running up front this year and Rossi mending, there was no chance for retribution. Then Dani got horsepower and Lorenzo decided to ride cool and let his fellow Spaniard enjoy a little limelight. But Dani's out now, and Jorge made a ballsy pass outside of Rossi in Turn 2 at the start, and proceeded to hold him up so Stoner and Dovi could get away. Keeping Rossi off the podium, in front of YMC brass, and showing the old hen was washed up, was going to be the retribution.

Unfortunately, Lorenzo still doesn't know who he's dealing with. And Rossi not only had an answer for everything, but it even looked a couple of times like he left the door open so he could be passed, setting up the repass. Watch the video. There were certain places where Rossi did a crappy job of defending, and others where he fought tooth and nail. He was letting him by, but only where HE wanted him to pass.

As for the last pass Lorenzo tried on the outside, where the contact was made, it was Jorge trying to shut the door on Rossi that caused Rossi to wobble momentarily, stand the bike up a few degrees, and push Jorge wide.

I understand the whining about the championship. But Lorenzo needed a second place, and that wasn't possible. Third or fourth, he still has to show up next week and run better than 8th, which he could do with two plug wires disconnected. So he should have taken his fourth, wrapped up the title next week, and celebrated. But the battle in Japan turned personal and Jorge bit. Rossi sucked Lorenzo into it and schooled him as to who was who and what he could expect next year. And Jorge now knows he's not a strategic match for Vale. Given that the Duc appears to be faster than the Yamaha, but with slightly less handling, the battles next year should be epic (and let's not overlook Stoner on a VERY fast Honda). But like he did with Giberneau (who still has nightmares), Stoner, Pedrosa and others, Rossi is the master on two wheels and in the psych game. He can be beaten with equipment, but not when the field is level. No way.

I like Lorenzo. He's from the same part of Spain my mother's from and listening to him speak Catalán is like hearing my mother and relatives whenever I visited Barcelona. He may some day accrue all the tools that Rossi has at his disposal. But not just yet.

I was wondering if/when we were going to start talking about this!

I too, didn't think Rossi's moves were too aggressive on Lorenzo. Hubby says that is just because I like Rossi, but I also like Lorenzo. Hubby says, well Dani did something dumb on team mate and title contender, Nicky, in 06, and we all cried foul. My thought is, in 06, Nicky was only up by like 5 or 6 points, not 40ish like Lorenzo is. Lorenzo's closest rival is injured; Nicky's was a back on form Rossi! Nicky didn't have cushion to give up anything; Lorenzo could crash out a couple races and still win. Thus, I didn't think Rossi was in the wrong for being aggressive. Lorenzo didn't have to play. He did, and it could have cost him, but fortunately, it didn't. Hubby says, well put Nicky (my fave) in Lorenzo's position this year, and I'd be singing a different song. No, I don't think I would. I'd be yelling at the TV "C'mon Nicky, you don't need the points, back off, man! don't be a hero!" :), but I still don't think I'd fault Rossi for trying to fight for podiums after the season he's had. He needs to get some momentum back. Especially considering that Lorenzo will be a rival next year.

I was wondering if/when we were going to start talking about this!

I too, didn't think Rossi's moves were too aggressive on Lorenzo. Hubby says that is just because I like Rossi, but I also like Lorenzo. Hubby says, well Dani did something dumb on team mate and title contender, Nicky, in 06, and we all cried foul. My thought is, in 06, Nicky was only up by like 5 or 6 points, not 40ish like Lorenzo is. Lorenzo's closest rival is injured; Nicky's was a back on form Rossi! Nicky didn't have cushion to give up anything; Lorenzo could crash out a couple races and still win. Thus, I didn't think Rossi was in the wrong for being aggressive. Lorenzo didn't have to play. He did, and it could have cost him, but fortunately, it didn't. Hubby says, well put Nicky (my fave) in Lorenzo's position this year, and I'd be singing a different song. No, I don't think I would. I'd be yelling at the TV "C'mon Nicky, you don't need the points, back off, man! don't be a hero!" :), but I still don't think I'd fault Rossi for trying to fight for podiums after the season he's had. He needs to get some momentum back. Especially considering that Lorenzo will be a rival next year.

I knew there'd soon be intelligent discourse on this. BTW, who's this ignoramus you refer to as "husband?" :grin:

Can someone explain why Rossi took his foot off the peg then moved his foot/leg away from the bike when he was in turns. I don't watch much mc racing, but I don't recall seeing that before.

ShovelStrokeEd

When the spheroidal symbols of your gender are as big as his, you need to air them out once in awhile.

He's not the only one and the reasons range from the practical (adds stability under braking) to the sublime ("It just feels good to me.").

russell_bynum
Aw, it was just Lorenzo going to school. He's been pissy ever since Rossi snatched victory in the last corner in Catalunya last year. But with Jorge running up front this year and Rossi mending, there was no chance for retribution. Then Dani got horsepower and Lorenzo decided to ride cool and let his fellow Spaniard enjoy a little limelight. But Dani's out now, and Jorge made a ballsy pass outside of Rossi in Turn 2 at the start, and proceeded to hold him up so Stoner and Dovi could get away. Keeping Rossi off the podium, in front of YMC brass, and showing the old hen was washed up, was going to be the retribution.

Unfortunately, Lorenzo still doesn't know who he's dealing with. And Rossi not only had an answer for everything, but it even looked a couple of times like he left the door open so he could be passed, setting up the repass. Watch the video. There were certain places where Rossi did a crappy job of defending, and others where he fought tooth and nail. He was letting him by, but only where HE wanted him to pass.

As for the last pass Lorenzo tried on the outside, where the contact was made, it was Jorge trying to shut the door on Rossi that caused Rossi to wobble momentarily, stand the bike up a few degrees, and push Jorge wide.

I understand the whining about the championship. But Lorenzo needed a second place, and that wasn't possible. Third or fourth, he still has to show up next week and run better than 8th, which he could do with two plug wires disconnected. So he should have taken his fourth, wrapped up the title next week, and celebrated. But the battle in Japan turned personal and Jorge bit. Rossi sucked Lorenzo into it and schooled him as to who was who and what he could expect next year. And Jorge now knows he's not a strategic match for Vale. Given that the Duc appears to be faster than the Yamaha, but with slightly less handling, the battles next year should be epic (and let's not overlook Stoner on a VERY fast Honda). But like he did with Giberneau (who still has nightmares), Stoner, Pedrosa and others, Rossi is the master on two wheels and in the psych game. He can be beaten with equipment, but not when the field is level. No way.

I like Lorenzo. He's from the same part of Spain my mother's from and listening to him speak Catalán is like hearing my mother and relatives whenever I visited Barcelona. He may some day accrue all the tools that Rossi has at his disposal. But not just yet.

I agree.

But when your teammate is fighting for a championship and you're not, you don't do that sh*t.

Russell, hey are not team mates - they just ride the same bike ;)

There have been two teams in the Yamaha pit for two years at least.

With Rossi moving on and Lorenzo being a major threat to his dominance, then this level of aggression is inevitable.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lisa. Lorenzo was just as punchy as Rossi and he just did not need to be. IMHO he was stupid to risk the title for the sake of one unimportant place.

Andy

russell_bynum
Russell, hey are not team mates - they just ride the same bike ;)

There have been two teams in the Yamaha pit for two years at least.

With Rossi moving on and Lorenzo being a major threat to his dominance, then this level of aggression is inevitable.

I agree wholeheartedly with Lisa. Lorenzo was just as punchy as Rossi and he just did not need to be. IMHO he was stupid to risk the title for the sake of one unimportant place.

Andy

Uh huh. Ask Nicky Hayden how important "one unimportant place" was when Elias passed Rossi at the line in Estoril in 2006.

Regardless of how the pit boxes are divided, they both ride for Fiat Yamaha...they're on the same team. Rossi does not have a shot at the 2010 title. Lorenzo does. When it's this close to the end and your teammate has a shot at the title and you don't, you don't get into a pissing match with him...you move over and let him by.

It was highly entertaining, and it's pretty clear that Rossi succeeded in getting in Lorenzo's head. It's also, as you said, understandable with the way things will be going next year. But that doesn't make it right.

I on the other hand do not look at Rossi through rose coloured glasses and observe that some never seem to attach any criticism to him. Great rider but I have seen him occasionally try and pass no matter what the consequences. I have seen him nearly take out Gibernau, Stoner and now Lorenzo for the sake of a pass. So who is inside who's head? Lorenzo's passes always seemed cleaner in the incidents under discussion. Rossi's not so. Flame away

I think they just saw how much attention Eslick received and wanted some of their own news.

I got in a battle that lasted over 4 laps with another rider in 250cc MX in Texas once. The leaders checked out probably a half a lap ahead. I learned later that the crowd was cheering and screaming at us as we battled. When I picked up my 3rd place award, the lady said that was the greatest race we have ever had, thanks.

We were not the best, but just happened to have two bikes and riders evenly matched. Great fun by the way.

When the spheroidal symbols of your gender are as big as his, you need to air them out once in awhile.
:grin:

Thanks. That was a good laugh.

It's called racing, you know where people pass each other, to try and win.

I don't see how this can continue in an enlightened society, oh the humanity! :rofl:

Anyway I think Rossi's record speaks for itself. Great rider with a few more years to prove he's possibly the greatest so far.

Yet for some reason in the MotoGP series this is frowned upon by a vocal few (must be F1 fans), where as in every other racing series it is encouraged.....

russell_bynum

Yet for some reason in the MotoGP series this is frowned upon by a vocal few (must be F1 fans), where as in every other racing series it is encouraged.....

I just have to ask... All of you Rossi butt-sniffers: where did you stand on the Pedrosa/Hayden incident at Estoril in 2006? Be careful how you answer...I remember the conversations with several of you.

I just have to ask... All of you Rossi butt-sniffers: where did you stand on the Pedrosa/Hayden incident at Estoril in 2006? Be careful how you answer...I remember the conversations with several of you.

I am nobody's butt-sniffer. As for the Pedrosa/Hayden incident - Dani went too hot for a gap that was not there with very little control. Rossi was using controlled aggression - it could be argued he was over-strong but I do not see Rossi as the sole trangressor. He had nothing to lose, Lorenzo had the championship to lose. With Pedrosa out injured he only had to score 19 points in three rounds to take the championship, and that assumes Pedrosa would be back at the next round which at the time seemed most unlikely. As Pedrosaa has not in fact appeared on the entry list for Malasia, Lorenzo needs a top-eight finish this weekend to win the title. He was stupid in the extreme in not backing off. He did not need those points and he should have known it - Rossi did, which is probably why he pushed hard - he expected Lorenzo to have the brains to let him have the podium,

Andy

All of you Rossi butt-sniffers...

Hope you're including Lorenzo in that group :)

Difference between Pedrosa and Rossi is pretty obvious?

Pedrosa: Not enough talent or brains to prevent him taking out his teammate.

Rossi: Enough talent and brains to prevent him taking out his teammate.

Well, I enjoyed that particular battle a lot. And it was good to see Stoner back on form.

To me it was just good racing, pure and simple :thumbsup:.

A good racer needs an ego to go with his talent and they both have that but Rossi is the older "bull in the pasture" with a point to prove.

And screw "team orders".....I HATE team orders :eek:!

Teams/owners simply have cash on the line, riders have their "self" and their lives on the line. I like it distilled down to that. If you really want to see racers in action, just watch the IOM TT :thumbsup:.

And, IMHO, nothing wrong with a little banging of elbows to win - BTDT at club racing level :grin:.

Lets see if I can make a simply list.

1. Rossi didn't crash into his "teammate" and take him out, Pedrosa did.

2. Rossi's "teammate" is clearly one of his biggest rivals next season and will be riding a bike he (Rossi) developed.

3. Lorenzo was 42 points up before the race even started.

4. Pedroas out with a major injury.

5. Hayden's competitor was 8 points up after the crash, where as even if Lorenzo (who had 4th in the bag) would have scored zero he would have held onto his 42 point lead.....

But you are correct, clearly Rossi should just wave him around for the good of the team (that has decided to let him go) like Ferrari does in F1.

Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix

What a race, pure Rossi magic, 11th to first place win out riding everyone on the grid. No. 46 Rossi and his 46 win in style and pure genius on two wheels. :Cool:

Ooops sorry.

Well worth watching a true master enjoying himself and coming back from 11th position on lap 1 to finsh in 1st place in style, lots of action same a Formula 1 GP start to finish action.

Pretty quiet out there....guess the haters are a bit stunned by the 11th to 1st run by a certain rider. Then there was that gravel sample by another rider, but I am sure someone will chime in about how amazing he is any minute now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Interesting to read what Rainey had to say about the previous race, apparently he is a Rossi butt sniffer also.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/road-racing/2010/10/05/wayne-rainey-looks-at-rossi-lorenzo-motegi-battle

russell_bynum

It is possible to be a huge Rossi fan (which I am) and still have the ability to call it like it is.

Today's race was great and reminded me of the old Rossi when he'd start a ways back, run there for a while and then dramatically come through the pack to win. Great stuff. Not in the least bit stunning...thAt was classic Rossi and it's exactly why I like watching him.

I don't understand the emotional attachment some folks get with "their" racer/player. Say one negative thing about them and its like you just walked into the vatican and took a leak in the holy water.

Lin Jarvis' pre-race comments (or lack thereof) were hilarious...and even though he didn't have the balls to come out and say it, it was pretty obvious that he was thinking the same thing I was. Everyone is just terrified to criticize Rossi. About anything. Ever.

Everyone is just terrified to criticize Rossi. About anything. Ever.

Bullpuckey. Rossi can be a terror on the track. He's got so much skill and so many tricks, that he can suck you into his game and then spank you with your own ego. Yet he always seems to do it just one stop short of being an asshat. I think it's that charm, the cleanliness about which he goes about his malevolence, that makes him such a favorite. Not only do we admire his skill as a racer, but his guile, daring and even his wit aboard two wheels. The former can be achieved through diligence and dedication (along with some natural talent). The rest of it is an injection of personality that many others do not possess. That makes it enviable but never attainable, regardless of one's skill. And that set-apart is what makes him special to those who appreciate that sort of thing.

So, can he be wrong? Yup. Can he be mean? That, too. Can he scare the crap out of another racer by appearing to be outside the envelope, when in fact he's not. You bet. Is that fair? Aside from the "love and war" thing, prolly not. But is it fun to watch the one guy in the world who can pull it off? Damn straight. Like Petty Sr. and Earnhardt in days gone by. Like Schumacher in his better days. So long as they don't hurt anyone (and the fact is they're good enough not to), it's hard to dislike them.

Well if Rainey says it's ok it must be ok then. (Yeah right) Fortunately he is somewhat more balanced than the Rossi apologists i.e. butt sniffers :rofl: and realises " But you've got to remember, though, I'm sitting on a couch, I'm not on the bike, I can't see the angles that those riders see. And sometimes what cameras show you is not what it really is according to what the riders say. " It is obvious that when the baddies Gibernau, Stoner and Lorenzo complain about the goodie Rossi it is just sour grapes. You would only be unhappy about losing and not that someone was reckless in how they passed you as there was a risk of being knocked off your bike and injured or worse . Call me cynical but Rossi has created this fantastic and appealing public image (like Tiger Woods) which he exploits to sometimes run amok professionally. I am also aware that the public image may not marry with the real situation. Being level headed I don't get into celebrity/hero worship or hating or loving someone I don't really know so criticism I make is from my personal observations not on my personal likes or dislikes. I have also never understood why if Rossi is so good why he has to engage in mind games (if he in fact does). Rossi is a classic and very good for MotoGP but with enormous power comes enormous responsibilty. To me his ends don't always justifies the means. I am looking forward to him on the Ducati next year to see if he can win a title on it and also Stoner on the Honda

Screw all that, I say let anyone else in the field spot Rossi 10 places and then run him down......that was due to raw talent, not some BS "he gets a pass" hero worship stuff. I don't worship anyone sports wise but when you see the best in action (golf, basketball, F1 etc) it is hard to look away.

Rossi has "created" a public persona by winning 9 championships and no amount of copying his antics (such as Lorenzo's post race celebrations) will ever bring the same level of worship from the fans. Personally I would like to see Spies win next year, but as long as it isn't Moaner, Pedrosabot or Jlo I will be pleased.

Guess you missed this quote: "I just think it was good hard clean racing," Rainey said. "OK, they bumped. That's the way I remember it, the way you're supposed to race. I don't know everybody's saying, but I just thought it was a great race."

Respsol is Spanish for teamwork? :rofl:

Hey Deadboy here is something else for you to mull over.

http://motomatters.com/news/2010/10/04/spanish_media_accusing_rossi_of_jump_sta.html

" The Spanish contingent in the MotoGP paddock has long felt that Valentino Rossi is given preferential treatment by Race Direction, under pressure from Dorna (ironically, a Spanish company). Rossi is the series' main meal ticket, and there have been a number of incidents where there has been the suspicion that Rossi has gone unpunished because to do so would have been hugely unpopular with the fans." Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :rofl:

Paul no question there is history (sport wise) between Spain and Italy just as there is history between the US and Canada, Australia and NZ and England and Germany (and England and the rest of the world). Sour grapes. Maybe. But since Spain is the no.1 sporting country in some areas at the moment (soccer, tennis, motorcycling and road cycling ) not really sure what they have to be sour about in these areas and on our matter under discussion.

"... a number of incidents where there has been the suspicion that Rossi has gone unpunished ..."

All a bit too vague. If there are real issues, then put them out there for all to judge ... or is this more like what the OP was about which ultimately comes down to a matter of opinion rather than truth.

So you are saying members of the Spanish media (including Ernest Riveras Tobia, the journalist who wrote JLo's biography) are biased in favor of their guy? Who would have guessed....next you are going to tell me the Italians favor Rossi or even that the Australian media favors

CoarsegoldKid
since Spain is the no.1 sporting country in some areas at the moment (soccer, tennis, motorcycling and road cycling )

Don't forget Formula 1 as F. Alonzo is on the heels of Webber.

I think it was a great hair raising battle to be the best that day. I'm sure you all heard the Yamaha representative say he wasn't happy to see it but understood and appreciated the battle between Rossi and Lorenzo. Lorenzo settled for third in the last race - a smart move. Anyway it's all over and Lorenzo is the champ.

A good year for Spanish sport fans.

russell_bynum
I think it was a great hair raising battle to be the best that day. I'm sure you all heard the Yamaha representative say he wasn't happy to see it but understood and appreciated the battle between Rossi and Lorenzo.

That was Lin Jarvis, and his response is exactly what I was talking about (Though he was less direct in his response than I've been.) Was it exciting? Hell yes! Did it make him happy, as a Yamaha guy to see a guy who isn't in the fight getting into a pissing match with his teammate who is in the fight? No. Does he understand why it went down that way? Hell yes.

Did it make him happy, as a Yamaha guy to see a guy who isn't in the fight getting into a pissing match with his teammate who is in the fight?

The title fight had little to do with it. No team owner is happy when his team members are directly racing each other. But if they are not racing others as well as each other, then there is another name for it.

It's called a parade, and they are real popular on Thanksgiving and New Years day.

There could also be a little message from Rossi to Yamaha in both races. "You chose Jorge over me so I'll show you again what I'm capable of."

In addition to being a great rider, he's one of the best ever, in cars or on bikes at playing head games with his opposition.

Made for good viewing in both races.

Jim

In addition to being a great rider, he's one of the best ever, in cars or on bikes at playing head games with his opposition.

Made for good viewing in both races.

Jim

Easy now...some of us are old enough to remember riders that did as much or more on far lesser equipment, and tracks.

Hi Paul :wave:

MB>

As much or more? Like who?

The record books don't show anyone close to Rossi's achievements. The closest to him in outright GP wins is Agostini and he raced for years against outdated British machinery until Hailwood and the Honda took it to him.

IMO, only Mick Doohan gets close and only then because he had Lawson, Gardner, Rainey and Schwantz to contend with.

Linz :)

russell_bynum
Did it make him happy, as a Yamaha guy to see a guy who isn't in the fight getting into a pissing match with his teammate who is in the fight?

The title fight had little to do with it. No team owner is happy when his team members are directly racing each other.

No, and yes. The title fight ups the stakes. I mean...yes...rule number two is "don't take out your teammate" (rule #1 is "you gotta be in it to win it.") But with the one rider in the title fight and the other...well...not, it really changes the stakes.

But if they are not racing others as well as each other, then there is another name for it.

It's called a parade, and they are real popular on Thanksgiving and New Years day.

From our perspective as spectators...yeah...let 'em duke it out every race and screw the title.

Of course...all of you know this and agreed when it was Pedrosa and Hayden (the fact that Pedrosa's attempt resulted in a crash and Rossi got away with it is irrelevant...we all know that any time bikes are trading paint a crash is probable...that's one reason it is so exciting) but now that it's Rossi, the rules have changed.

Archived