IGNORED

Ugh, my Toyota truck frame is toast . .

EddyQ

Back in February, I got the letter from Toyota relating the possible rust issues with my 2002 Tacoma. According to the letter, I needed to take my truck into the dealer for an inspection to determine if it needed a frame undercoating. At that time, I went out and looked over the frame and saw some rust, but nothing that looked unsafe. So, I decided to wait til summer when there was no chance of salt on the frame to get the coating (assuming it might need it). Well, today was that summer day. Although the inspection results was not expected. The dealer said the inspection takes an hour to complete. Well, he called me over after 15 minutes. Said the frame crumbled upon lifting the truck and was not safe to leave the dealership. :eek: Naturally, I was speechless for a moment. Then, I decided to see this myself. He was right, the frame had rotted through.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I am very lucky this was caught. I am lucky that Toyota will deal with it. My brother-in-law had serious frame rot on his Ford F150 and he had to fix it himself. But the dealer said they plan to replace the frame. Is that even possible?? Gaud what a job. Apparently it will take a month. Then what do I get? A truck that rides weird and blows through u-joints at rapid rates?? Yes, I am concerned.

Any of you had an issue like this?? Do I have a reason to be concerned?

John Ranalletta

Sorry for your troubles. Sounds like Toyota will make good? Given the truck is 9 y/o, likely it'll be better than it is now.

Sounds like Toyota is subbing out frame fab to Fiat. The 850 was known to break in half. I sold mine before the rust ate completely through the unibody.

fs_fi.jpg

Well, for what it's worth you've steered me away from a Tacoma. Not to thread-jack, but I've been half-heartedly shopping for a truck to replace my aging minivan and the Tacoma had been one of the front runners.

I hope everything works out. I have to admit that if given the option, I'd probably get the work done and then get rid of the truck. Essentially re-manufacturing a nine year old truck would make me very uneasy. My local mechanics do a great job, but I'm not sure they can do as thorough a job as the factory.

Best of luck.

I see a Toyota truck for sale in the future. I'm in the same boat you are, what will go wrong after something like a frame swap, it sucks to be a hypochondriac! I have an 05 Frontier, I go on a particular forum, there's all sorts of 'folks' on it (like here!) and I have seen a few people post pics of their 'Yota frames, amazing :eek: I make it a point to crawl underneath my truck a few times a year with a welders-wire brush and cans of black Rustoleum Professional spray paint. My truck still looks great underneath for a 'Northeast' vehicle.

And oh yeah, I had a 95 F150 I had gotten used years back, that was ALOT of scraping and painting I tell ya! Even the oil pan (thank God for epoxy) and yes it held years after I sold it, I saw the new owner every few months!

hmmm... we got a letter too... I thought it said we didn't need to worry about it... Now I am worried...

As I recall the letter we got, it basically just said that if we had a problem it would be covered, but no action was required or suggested at this time... Doesn't look like I kept it... :eek:

Is that what your letter was like? Maybe I should schedule an inspection, or at least give them a call to see what they say.

The dealer said that I should just look at the frame for perforations, but that they had not seen issues on vehicles used west of the Mississippi. Maybe it's time to find a Toyota forum... any suggestions?

I would let them replace the frame, drive for the truck and then make a decision about whether or not to keep it. You may be surprised at how nicely it drives. In the meantime maybe you can talk them into a loaner of some kind since it is going to take so long.

My brother had the frame replaced on their Expedition after an accident and was also concerned about how that would work out. They ended up being very happy with the dealer's work and have driven it for several years since then with no problems.

I don't see too much of a down side here, other than the hassle factor.

Jay

ISFA long term outlook I don’t think you have anything to worry about. For a body on frame vehicle it’s a pretty straight forward job to disconnect everything and lift the body off, transfer the engine, driveline, suspension components, alignement, etc. When done I’ll bet that aspect of the truck anyway will be good as new.

The dealer said that I should just look at the frame for perforations, but that they had not seen issues on vehicles used west of the Mississippi. Maybe it's time to find a Toyota forum... any suggestions?

Jan, I was under my truck earlier this year replacing an oxygen sensor. I'm sure I looked over the frame and never recall seeing very damaging rust. There was lots of places where factory paint was flaking off and rust had formed under it.

I'll dig out my letter. But if I recall, the problem is related to salt used in the winter. The letter said my warrentee would be extended for 15 years if I had it inspected and got the nessessary treatment (if needed). Did your letter extend your warrentee to 15 years?? I would think it should have.

I had a coworker have the exact same thing happen with his Toyota pickup of the same vintage (I believe his was a '99). They paid him 1.5x the Excellent Condition Kelly Blue Book value of the truck. There was no hassle at all other then him having to start vehicle shopping when he thought he had a solid vehicle.

It worked out well for him considering the truck was absolutely beat to hell, but regardless.......they still gave him the 1.5x Exc Cond price listed for the truck.

If it was me, I would push for this instead of a frame replacement. Hope it works out for you.

ISFA long term outlook I don’t think you have anything to worry about. For a body on frame vehicle it’s a pretty straight forward job to disconnect everything and lift the body off, transfer the engine, driveline, suspension components, alignement, etc. When done I’ll bet that aspect of the truck anyway will be good as new.

Well that is comforting Ken. Thanks. I really would like this truck to last another year or so. It runs great and only has 85Kmi. Most of its life has been in my garage. Interior and painted exterior is in great shape.

Jerry Johnston

When I was in highschool I helped my dad take the body off his Olds88. Then we pushed the body in to a lube room and lift the motor off the frame. The frame was then straightened and reassembled everything. As Ken said it's not a bad job for anyone with the tools. I remember years ago when you bought a new car you often paid to have it undercoated. If I were buying a new Toyota that's what I would do just to assure myself and not have any worry. It could probably be negotiated into the sale.

Toyota has replaced many, many frames, and it is not a big deal when the equipment is availble.

Incidentally, these frames are all on U.S. made trucks, supplied by a U.S. supplier (Spicer, I believe) who supplies frames to all the domestic truck companies.......Interesting that Toyota is the only one admitting (And fixing) the problem. Plenty of Fords have failed without any manufacturer help.

If they don't fix it, my understanding is they buy it from you for 125% of KBB retail. Not bad deal.

Not a reason to write of Toyota in my opinion.

Just had the frame replaced under recall on my 2000 Tundra with over 125K miles. I will be very hard pressed to buy anything else but a Toyota truck. Even a Tocoma. I now have a new frame, new brake lines, new fuel lines, new shock and spring brackets, and it's running great. I used to drive only Chevy. Then they screwed me on a service problem with my 95 S-10. No more Chevy, no Ford, and I will never even consider Dodge/Chrysler. The fact that Toyota would go to this expense with a 10 year old truck with over 100K miles has made me a loyal customer.

Just had the frame replaced under recall on my 2000 Tundra with over 125K miles. I will be very hard pressed to buy anything else but a Toyota truck. Even a Tocoma. I now have a new frame, new brake lines, new fuel lines, new shock and spring brackets, and it's running great. I used to drive only Chevy. Then they screwed me on a service problem with my 95 S-10. No more Chevy, no Ford, and I will never even consider Dodge/Chrysler. The fact that Toyota would go to this expense with a 10 year old truck with over 100K miles has made me a loyal customer.

I tend to agree.

I spent some time reading the fine print and doing some research. Seems there might be a repurchace option that my dealer did not mention. It spells it out on the letter I have. Yes, 1.5x KBB suggested retail value (assessed based on mileage).

Some good reading here:

LINK #1 (long pdf)

LINK #2 (pics of coatings)

I think a friend of mine was given enough money as a trade in that he bought a brand new Toyota truck for a couple thousand bucks. I think the truck was 8 or nine years old. Pretty good deal I think.

As I said earlier. My brother-in-law had his frame rot such that the leaf spring went up and hit the bed. It was a Ford F150. My brother is happy with his Honda. But, my neighbor broke his transmission pulling a very small trailer with his Acura MDX. Cost him $6K to fix. I think Honda and Acura transmissions could be very similar.

So . . . it is a hard choice finding the best out there.

I'm thinking repurchace program and get myself a manual transmission again. Hated Toyota's automatic.

russell_bynum
As I said earlier. My brother-in-law had his frame rot such that the leaf spring went up and hit the bed. It was a Ford F150. My brother is happy with his Honda. But, my neighbor broke his transmission pulling a very small trailer with his Acura MDX. Cost him $6K to fix. I think Honda and Acura transmissions could be very similar.

I'm thinking repurchace program and get myself a manual transmission again. Hated Toyota's automatic.

Automatic transmissions are the root of all evil.

+1..... :grin:

I had a chat with the dealer this morning. He had no knowledge of a repurchace option and that was final. I showed him the letter which clearly says the option is out there. I said folks have successfully repurchaced. Nope. Nada.

SO, I hated to do it. But I stuck my wife after them. Now we have calls to Toyota and are hot on another avenues to repurchace. My wife can be brutal and she is smart. I often have to leave the room when she is on the phone. She has a long track record of bending things to happen her way.

Hope she is successful. I'm getting the itch for a new truck . . .

My wife can be brutal and she is smart. I often have to leave the room when she is on the phone. She has a long track record of bending things to happen her way.

Sounds like you've had some experience with this. :grin:

I had a chat with the dealer this morning. He had no knowledge of a repurchace option and that was final. I showed him the letter which clearly says the option is out there. I said folks have successfully repurchaced. Nope. Nada.

SO, I hated to do it. But I stuck my wife after them. Now we have calls to Toyota and are hot on another avenues to repurchace. My wife can be brutal and she is smart. I often have to leave the room when she is on the phone. She has a long track record of bending things to happen her way.

Hope she is successful. I'm getting the itch for a new truck . . .

One of my co-workers had his Tacoma re-purchased and he came out way ahead.

russell_bynum

I thought BMW final drives were! :D

BMW final drives are the RESULT of all evil.

:grin:

Today, I contacted several other dealers and my wife has been on the phone with Toyota folks. We have been getting a consistant story that only a frame replacement is going to happen. Two dealers did mension that older trucks, with another recall, had repurchacing. Not my recall. reguardless of what the letter says.

My wife is waiting for a call back from the COO (whatever that is) of Toyota legal after talking with two lower levels of personel. The COO apparently is the head honcho. But, I have a feeling we are stuck with the old truck and a new frame. That certainly isn't as bad as having nothing done (like my brother in law with his F150)and basically loosing the truck, but it sucks that many folks had better service from Toyota that I won't be getting. I guess that is greedy. Nothing wrong with trying . . .

Archived