IGNORED

Proficient Motorcycling - By David Hough

FLrider

Well, I kept hearing that I should read this book, so I bought it.

First half of the book covers all the ways you can die riding a motorcycle and the statistics to prove it. :eek:

A few pages on riding tips/tricks...entering turns, exiting turns, physics of momentum, inertia etc.,

Last half about avoiding obstacles like deer, dogs, potholes, RR tracks. How to navigate in/on snow, ice, sand, gravel etc.,

Just kidding.... it's actually a decent book and for a beginner rider, it's very good.

It actually got me thinking that I need to brush up on some my skills. Thinking about enrolling in the Lee Parks Total Control class.

This book ought to be sold with every new or used motorcycle and read by every rider. The lessons in this book have saved my butt more times than I can count.

Thank you David Hough :thumbsup:

I have a shelf full of motorcycle books. I really like a number of them, but if I had to get rid of all save one, Proficient Motorcycling would be my choice. I don't consider myself a beginner by any means, but still leaf through my copy regularly.

Jay

This book ought to be sold with every new or used motorcycle and read by every rider. The lessons in this book have saved my butt more times than I can count.

And most likely something to review each year.

Second on the sequels.

russell_bynum

Every time a friend of mine takes up riding, I give them a copy.

I returned to motorcycling about seven years ago after a twenty-five year hiatus. I can't recommend this book enough to anyone returning to riding a bike or who hasn't ever paid attention to riding skills / situational awareness.

Just the explanations about counter-steering, edge traps, and where most cycle fatalities / accident occur probably saved my life a few times over.

I like this book and must have read it 3 times. Excellent for beginning and early riders.

I thought the Keith Code "Twist of The Wrist" series were terrific and better suited for experienced riders. Best moto-skills riding books I've read.

I second what everyone has said about Proficient Motorcycling and would also suggest Riding in the Zone by Ken Condon. It may be a little more aimed at the intermediate rider and the DVD has good exercises to practice the skills demonstrated.

I like this book and must have read it 3 times. Excellent for beginning and early riders.

I thought the Keith Code "Twist of The Wrist" series were terrific and better suited for experienced riders. Best moto-skills riding books I've read.

Okay. .Just bought Twist of the Wrist...

I read the Parks Total Control book first. Loads of good technique info there. I am now reading Proficient Motorcycling and have the second, More PM to move to after that. I also plan to read the Code.series as well. Great info.......I must say that I have also received a lot of great information from all of you here on this community! Keep it coming, please......

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really pleased to see a variety of skills books available to motorcyclists today. Just a few years ago there were no skills books on the shelves. Lots of books on bicycles, golf, cameras,and motorcycle repair, etc. but very little about motorcycle riding skills.

In addition to the books mentioned above, I would recommend Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsh, Smooth Riding by Reg Pridmore, and Stayin' Safe, (writings of the late Larry Grodsky assembled by Pete Tamblyn.)

For any brand new riders looking for a broad brush introduction to motorcycling, consider the second edidtion of Motorcycling Excellence. (the first edition was pretty poor, but the second edition is much better)

For the dual sport enthusiast, Dual Sport Motorcycling by Carl Adams.

And, for those ready for a college level treatise, The Upper Half of the Motorcycle by Bernt Spiegel (english translation, from Whitehorse Press)

pmdave

I'd like to feel that all the skills authors are co-conspiritors in passing along valuable information.

Considering the fine books now available, it's a pity so few motorcyclists seem to read. I'm not talking just about those adults who never learned to read, but figured out ways to hide their handicap. I'm talking about adults who ask questions of other riders at motorcycle gatherings, but who don't stop to thihk that there might be some good answers to their questions in the motorcycle books.

Perhaps it's a result of mainstream motorcycle magazines seldom mentioning skills or books. Or, maybe it's a "guy" sort of reluctance to asking for help.

anyway, cool it is.

pmdave

Archived