IGNORED

Cafe Racer = Must See TV!

Yeeha! Stephen

Does that mean we can't see it on the regular Discovery channel?

This is a different channel from plain Discovery. If you have HD, your TV service may or may not offer the Discovery HD Theater Channel...

Pull a TON... you know what that means? (Hint... I am an old fart and back in the day... :grin: )

Does that mean we can't see it on the regular Discovery channel?

This is a different channel from plain Discovery. If you have HD, your TV service may or may not offer the Discovery HD Theater Channel...

Pull a TON... you know what that means? (Hint... I am an old fart and back in the day... :grin: )

It used to be a challenge......Now it is just a way to lose your DL.

Paul Mihalka

Just to continue the minor hijack: pulling the TON = 100mph, to me it was 160kmh. First time I did it, 1953, on a prepped Triumph 100C loaned to me to ride it on a electrically measured kilometer - the owner did not dare. Good reason, the bike had the infamous Triumph sprung hub, a terrible device supposed to be a rear suspension. The bike did 163 kmh, just over 100mph. My 350cc prepped Velocette did 146kmh, just over 90mph. It's original factory top speed was 72mph :)

This was on a few months ago. I taped it, or however the box stores it, and it's still there.

It's interesting, many old photos and videos of the old bikes.

And the Ace is still there today.

dc

Just to continue the minor hijack: pulling the TON = 100mph, to me it was 160kmh. First time I did it, 1953, on a prepped Triumph 100C loaned to me to ride it on a electrically measured kilometer - the owner did not dare. Good reason, the bike had the infamous Triumph sprung hub, a terrible device supposed to be a rear suspension. The bike did 163 kmh, just over 100mph. My 350cc prepped Velocette did 146kmh, just over 90mph. It's original factory top speed was 72mph :)

Morning Paul

There are still a few Ton-Up clubs out there that require proof of running over 100mph for a specified distance to join.

Not that I would ever do it myself :grin: but the proof usually comes from some place like the turnpike or other pay type hi-way that logs the entrance time and exit time.

At one time it was done by traveling to a specific spot then returning in or under a given time but that is very difficult to do anymore with the traffic patterns and traffic congestion of today.

ShovelStrokeEd

Phone booth at Nugget Way in Reno, you called Reno BMW, 1 hour later, you had to be at a phone booth in Gerlock, NV. They would call. 100 miles away. Great fun with free range cattle and assorted wild life. Doubt you could do it today.

It looks like this is different from the Cafe Racer documentary that was on 6 months ago. But only partly different, it shares much of the same old footage from the Ace.

dc

Interesting to see this series...

I was one of those that actually hung out at the Ace, although I was not a habitual frequenter as I lived on the other side of London, just off the North Circular. :grin:.

Challenge it may have been but "back in "the day" it was also illegal and severely frowned upon! Rockers were looked at like scum of the earth by the British "establishment" and, thusly, the Rozzers. Remember, the early and mid 60's were the days of the "mods and rockers" skirmishes. On the road skirmishes were pretty one sided as Norton's were faster than Vespa's and a passing quick kick on a Vespa side bubble easily punted the poor rider :eek:!

I definitely want to watch that, when I was 17 I turned my dad's Bultaco Matador into a Cafe` Racer by reversing the clip on bars and taking the spark arrester off.....He wasn't overly impressed as I recall.....

Archived