IGNORED

Can anyone comment that has ridden both the K1200LT and R1200RT?

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

I am interested in a comparison between the R1200RT, pre 2010, and the K1200LT (I have a 2009) regarding low end torque. I have looked at BMW website and see that max torque is RT=88 @6000 and LT=86 @ 5250. But which one pulls the best from a dead start in 1st? The LT seems to really dip down low in RPM's once clutch is engaged. Is the power to weight ratio a lot better on the RT on take-off, especially when riding two up? Can you notice a difference or are both bikes so similar in this respect that its unnoticeable?

It is a simple matter of physics. My experience on the two is that the RT accelerates better simply because it is a much lighter machine. The LT is a much more laid back acceleration. It will get there, but not as fast.

At low speed, if you practice, there is no difference if you know the tricks to maneuvering in parking lots, mostly knowing not to touch the front brake in turns, and keeping the speed up a bit higher than walking speed. Clutch control technique is somewhat critical to both, and slightly different for the RT dry clutch, vs. the LT wet clutch.

Since you are asking about two-up, you probably want to put your significant other on the back of both, and get a lot of input. My lady loves the seat on the LT, but I don't care for a massive boat of a bike. Not my thing, although it is a nice ride.

She does like the RT rear seat too. I have done an experiment with adding the large top case to my R1200R and discovered that what she really likes is the backrest of the top case, except that the LT armrests still take center stage with her as a top "want list item". I, as well as a lot of others, am waiting to see if the armrests of the new K16 will attach to the current large top box. Adding arm rests to my top case will be a lot cheaper than a new K !

A couple of other thoughts. The RT is superior on twisty roads, the LT is superior in tip-over protection. Those crash wings are really effective !. Both are equally hot in high temperature and humidity. Both are also great in cold rainy weather ! The RT is much easier to work on at home. The power center stand on some LT's is way cool, as is the reverse gear !

I have had both the R1200RT and the K1200LT. From a seat of the pants, riding solo, I felt the RT and the LT were on par for straight line acceleration although I am sure the RT was a wee bit quicker. Remember when you look at HP and torque numbers, you arent so much concerned with peak numbers, but you should be looking at the area under the curve. The LT is no sloutch right off the line, and the RT's motor needs to rev a bit before the fun begins. Right off the line I would say the LT's 4 cylinder would pull from an RT, the further down the road the RT will catch up and pass the LT. As for roll on acceleration the RT has it beat IMO by a large margin.

I have only ridden the RT on demo rides or as a loaner, but have done several hours long trips two up. I have much more time on a GS two up and on my LT two up. The boxer motor is just quicker off the line, but notices a bit a when the second person is on board. The LT, not so quick off the line, but second person, what second person? The bike just does not seem to notice the second person in terms of engine performance, for me at least. Now parking lot speed, sure you notice the weight difference. The boxer (GS) just had more response lower than the LT, the LT likes the higher revs and once there is much happier and very responsive. When I first got my LT, I was very worried about performance since I was use to my GS, once I figured out the higher rev issue and different gearing, I was all smiles with the LT.

I have owned both, an '03 LT and currently my '05 RT w/56k miles. I hated the LT and only had it a year. Way too top heavy and difficult to handle at low speed. I generally ride two up and it was a handfull at slow speed (parking lots, camping areas). In my opinion the RT is the best touring bike, BMW or anyone else for that matter, produces.

Archived