IGNORED

6 Bars on oil temp guage

garymu

1997 R1100rt

Recently seems my my oil temp guage goes from 5 to 6 bars sitting in traffic more often. Did not used to do that unless really hot outside and / or in extended traffic stop.

Cause?

oil pressure low ?

I have clean oil cooler grill.

1997 R1100rt

Cause?

oil pressure low ?

I have clean oil cooler grill.

Low oil level?

Oil grade changed? (Dino vs. synthetic?)

Vacuum leak in the intake (Causing lean mixture)?

Or it could be the sensor, or the thermostat.

Hi garymu

Assuming a healthy engine with debris free oil cooler my first guess would be a higher idle RPM. It doesn’t take much of a raised idle speed to make more engine heat at idle. Has the idle RPM been adjusted lately?

Maybe temp gauge accuracy could be a possibility, how is the gauge reading while riding down the road compared to where it used to be riding down the road?

Other possibilities might be mud/dirt caked on the engine or cylinder area interfering with air cooling of the engine case or cylinder fins.

2000 RT

My bike has always been in the 5 to 6 bar range in temperatures ranging from 40F to 90+F, while moving. When not moving, look out, because the bars will rise quickly! I run full synthetic because it's air/oil-cooled and reduces the risk of conventional oil breaking down due to excessive heat.

Al Gore is no doubt involved in this.

I would change the oil and filter. What kind of filter are you using? Seems like a plugged filter could contribute. I wouldn't worry much unless the trend continues.

5-6 bars isnt really an issue. Ive had mine hit the top just twice in 7 years/ 46000 miles... in very extreme city heat and traffic.

Id agree on lean mixture (beware the newer fuels- especially those containing a higher percentage of ethanol). Maybe old/clogged fuel filter or injectors- how does it run???

Whats your mileage? Age and distance could play a factor with items like the thermostat, but unless it becomes a regular issue, or gets worse, dont fret about it too much.

( I have mods for both cooling fans and fuel enrichment, but I dont think you need worry about either of these at this time)

I would change the oil and filter. What kind of filter are you using? Seems like a plugged filter could contribute. I wouldn't worry much unless the trend continues.

Morning RTFink

No oil filter on the cooling oil circuit, only on the lubricating circuit. The cooling oil has a separate pump than the primary lubricating oil system.

My RS is the same. It usually sits at 5 bars but goes to 6 quickly in traffic situations and is slow to return to 5. I've never seen 7 bars. I suspect my RID is calibrated near the high end of the 5 bar range as "normal" so it lights the sixth bar with relatively little temperature increase. I don't worry about it.

If the oil temp side of the RID is like the fuel level side, it is very sensitive to small amounts of corrosion resistance in the various electrical connectors between the oil temp sensor and the RID. You might want to clean the main RID connector pins to see if that changes the reading.

Morning RTFink

No oil filter on the cooling oil circuit, only on the lubricating circuit. The cooling oil has a separate pump than the primary lubricating oil system.

Thanks Dirtrider, good info.

Archived