IGNORED

R1200rt Engine Guards

pnhmpm

Just traded a 2004 1150RT for a 2007 1200RT. The 1200 does not have engine guards. I intend to install them. Any recommendations would be appreciated? Anyone use the Z Technik guards - are they worth the extra cost?

Survived-til-now

There are lots of threads on this subject so i suggest you use the search function.

The BMW black plastic guards are only any use for a static drop, they disintegrate with any forward movement because the bike tends to pirouette on the cylinder head......

My personal preference is for the BMW guards sold for the 1200GS's - have a look at the options in the BMW catalogue on line.

The BMW black plastic guards are only any use for a static drop, they disintegrate with any forward movement because the bike tends to pirouette on the cylinder head......

And only on smooth pavement (any gravel will get under them, DAMHIK), and they will leave a mark underneath them on the cylinder head, and they cost almost as much as replacement cylinder head...

+ 1 on the ZTechnik gaurds. Only had a standing slip and drop and they worked great protecting the mirrors and handlebars. Also then easy to mount highway pegs on them. Good company to work with and I have their windshield, but like anything associated with a Beemer its $$$.

Archived