IGNORED

Let's see your GPS!

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

Two GPS's on the same bike (GPS 2610 and GPS 276C?) ??? What the #%*& ???

That is the BMW NAV II

and the Garmin 376C....

with the live NEXRAD weather and XM radio, of course

39518419-O.jpg

hey.....

after 20 years of marriage....

the only "F" word that gets me excited on a regular basis is .....

FARKLE

greg

[edit: pulled hijack out of original thread, moved here, and retitled it]

That is the BMW NAV II

and the Garmin 376C.... with the live NEXRAD weather and XM radio, of course

Just my opinion but isn't that kinda redundant? Why have two systems draining power when the 376 should give you all the info you need? Why not use the Nav II elsewere or sell it? Just curious. Maybe you find some big advantage in running the two systems?

ClearwaterBMW

That is the BMW NAV II

and the Garmin 376C.... with the live NEXRAD weather and XM radio, of course

Just my opinion but isn't that kinda redundant? Why have two systems draining power when the 376 should give you all the info you need? Why not use the Nav II elsewere or sell it? Just curious. Maybe you find some big advantage in running the two systems?

not really redundant for a couple of reasons.

i use the bmw nav ii for my navigation. i do my trip planning on the PC and then download the waypoints and routes into that unit. i leave it at the 0.2mi or 0.3mi magnification level all the time. the 376C i use to "watch the weather," which is done at the 3+mile magnification... i have NOT used it for XM yet, but when i do it'll become even LESS useful for navigation.

the way the bmw nav ii is set up (especially with the cradle) it is MUCH more intuitive for the navigation process.

a waste of money (as seen by most fiscally-sane folks)?........ certainly!

redundant?......... not the way i use them

greg

ClearwaterBMW
And here am I, trying to figure out a way to even pay for a 'PDA with GPS'...... <sigh>

Francois, my friend

i MUST have both units because they help me cope with the fact that i can't ride in "your" world.

if i had the roads to ride and the places to see near where i live.... i could live my life with only 1 gps unit

grin.gifgrin.gif

greg

Francois_Dumas

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I still could do with one.... I always find my way home, yes, after invariably getting lost before I do <grin>.

Oh well... one day..... smirk.gif

the 376C i use to "watch the weather,"
Yeah, and by the photo you can see how well that works! wink.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Actually I think the weather link thing is so cool. But my pocket book looks a lot like Francois'!

Let's see your GPS!
After a lead photo like that I'm almost embarrassed to post a picture of my lowly Quest, but here it is:

28521660-M.jpg

Does the external antenna in the new school picture give better resolution?

Hard to say ... the old school is actually the new school for Garmin, antennae embedded within the housing now standard or near-standard on automotive units.

The antenna shown here in the new school is identical to the same part on my GPSIII+, pushing 10 years old. BTW it's not considered external ... there are external, remote-mount models that do deliver much better results than either of what is shown here.

28521660-S.jpg

GPS? Check.

Radio? Check.

Voltmeter/Thermometer/Timer/Ice Alarm? Check.

Fuzzy Dice? On order.

I think something else is missing, I just can't place it.

ClearwaterBMW

well,

i never said mine looked much better

i fully admit (and my friend BFish - brian, the CPA won't be happy to hear this) that my love for technology is a disease which seems to have no cure.

i'm not proud of it... but, it is a fact

greg

ClearwaterBMW
Does the external antenna in the new school picture give better resolution???

well,

the EXTERNAL antenna is for the XM and XM weather

on my setup there is NO question that the swivel antenna on the 376C has better reception than the built-in antenna in the bmw nav II (garmin 2610)

greg

Mitch: SWEET mount! Either you are a machinist or have a buddy who's one. It looks EXPENSIVE! Very very nice, though and a better location than the RAM mounted mid-handlebar position I have on my RT.

T

Bill in Vermont

My opinion is that it's not the GPS, but where it's at (geographic location). If you aren't using it, put it away. Photo attached.

585791-GPSsmall.jpg.b6c4936f9c54979d69c2fe6b55e456d7.jpg

the 376C i use to "watch the weather," which is done at the 3+mile magnification...

===========================================================================================================================

nice setup.

I like the fact that you can combine XM and GPS with the 376C.

As far as watching the weather is concerned, it looks as if you are still in Beta testing with that aspect.

Wonder if it showed 'Wilma' approaching.*

Jurgen

* Heck, you can always look up.... briefly!

585836-P9080115asmall.jpg.0ad87bf0de1f85fbc0c4bee90dc66387.jpg

I have a question for you fellows on the 376C. Does it come w/ or have an option for a remote control? I keep the remote for my SkyFi in the tank bag map case, which is handy, and where I have the unit in my pickup, the remote keeps me from running off the road to change stations on the radio. If there's no remote, how easy is it to get into the music menu and make changes?

Archived