IGNORED

It is deer season, they are moving!!

dhanson

I'm sure he would have been had he known me, but I did not know him. Our guys will have a club meeting tomorrow, they will most likely have someone that knows him or has ridden with him. Don't think he was a member tho.

According to info from LEO that worked the accident. S1000RR, deer strike knocked him off bike and both he and deer was struck by another vehicle (suv?).

Very Sad! He was a good rider.

so sorry to hear another fatality caused by a deer. The family is probably devastated. It can happen faster than you can possibly imagine no matter your skill level.

As a two time deer crash survivor I sometimes can't believe how lucky I am to be alive. The first hit in '04 on the way to the Spokane BMW MOA rally should have been fatal. A 10 point Buck came out of the woods in northern Idaho (at dusk of course) and sent me sailing down the road. ATGATT saved me from even a broken bone and I stayed conscious the whole time. If there had been opposing traffic, I'm certain I would have been run over.

Last fall while doing a weekend campout with some local guys in East Tawas, MI, we rode into town for dinner from the state park. As it was around 5pm, I was being extra diligent and scanning for deer. Next thing I know, they're cutting off my leathers, asking me if I know the President (well, I don't know him personally) and shoving me into an ambulance. This time a Level 5 concussion but no broken bones again. This thing hit me so hard that I honestly don't remember a single detail of the accident.

They can come out of nowhere and take your life. If you think you'll have time to decide on evasive manuevers, think again. I'm in reasonably decent shape, I workout, run, play racquetball and Slalom Water Ski competitively. I think my motorcycle skills are pretty decent as I've taken various classes from Reg Pridmore and am usually one of the smoother guys at most Track Days. But with deer, you might never even see the one that is suddenly in your path.

They're out there folks and at least in MI, the state DNR isn't handing out extra permits.

RPG

We recently bought a house from the heirs of a victim. Very sad.

Here in SoCal, I've never seen a deer around the roads, even in the hills and mountains where the road signs warn about them. These stories make me nervous.

RPG, your write-up was very vivid and moving. I'm glad you're still with us.

Yet another advantage of living in western NC is the near absence of deer here. Now I have seen a couple of bears run across the road ahead of me... :eek:

Jay

Jay,

You are kidding, right?

I've seen deer jump over cars and riders in W NC.

Even though this interactive map shows the area as less than 15 sq/mi, lower than other places nearby, they are there.

We had deer tracks across campus this morning.

I see deer every day this time of year on my ride home through the forest.

Maybe the red color scares them away.

;)

Best wishes.

Well apparently they are here, but I have yet to see even one in the 2+ years since we moved here, and I ride through wooded areas frequently. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Jay

Come to Texas......damn things are everywhere! Just in our neighborhood, we have a couple of herds of the buggers that roaming up and down the street!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, that is too sad. I just now saw this. I'd met Bill a couple times in the early eighties. We had a mutual friend and had spent a little time together at some sportscar events, he was a gentleman by all accounts.

He and I had owned the same type vintage racecar ('67 Porsche 910, 30 built, the smallest, lighest prototype they ever made, 1265 lbs, 240 hp, we suspected then it would become a future collectible). Our friend said he sold his and went back to med school to learn eye surgery, I believe he was doing laser surgery long before it became so widespread.

My condolences go out to his family and friends, and the city of Shreveport, they lost a good man.

As far as deer go, I just came back from Colorado, the deer are so prevalent they're commonplace. In the small towns they roam around in people's yards like pets. Coming into Ouray early one evening I came within about a foot of taking out 7 or 8 just standing in the road (I was in a van). It was quite scary on the bike getting back after dark several times.

Have to agree with Jay though, In Western N.C. I've been amazed at the scarcity of them, like him I've seen more bears than deer.

In May, coming off of 550, right in the middle of town a very large deer just ambled across the road right in front of me in Ouray. Got to watch out, thank god the limit is 25 there.

This fall in Torrey, we stayed at the Boulder View Inn, several deer stayed in the brush just on the south end. They ambled accross the road in town right at dark to eat the grass and maybe swipe some alfalfa growing in the fences for cattle.

Thanks for the memories Bill, small world we live in.

Thanks for the memories Bill, small world we live in.

No doubt.

I missed on the timeline a little, it was mid to late seventies when I knew Bill. He was one of those people that you could just tell was the smartest guy in the room.

I took a ride on the Duc over there on that route around Cross Lake and try and find the scene the next day.

45 mph speed limit most of it until out of the city limits, rolling hills tight curves with brush/woods closing right up to the shoulder in some places. I could see where you would not have much time to react if someone/deer decided to cross over the hill or next turn.

I'm sure he experienced much more intense rides before. RIP Dr. Steen.

I'm sure he experienced much more intense rides before. RIP Dr. Steen.

I'm sure you're right, he was a true gearhead and obviously had a weakness for things fast. Once he was successful he moved on to Lear Jets and who knows what else.

I took a ride on the Duc over there on that route around Cross Lake and try and find the scene the next day.

45 mph speed limit most of it until out of the city limits, rolling hills tight curves with brush/woods closing right up to the shoulder in some places. I could see where you would not have much time to react if someone/deer decided to cross over the hill or next turn.

Dave, I got an update on Dr. Steen's accident tonight. The S1000R had been delivered to him just the evening before. It was the first ride he'd taken on it. Very sad.

• 3 weeks later...

I hit a deer with approx 40-50 km/h and broke most plastic on the motorcycle. I had the bike breaked down from approx 80-90 km/h. My wife were on the rear seat. Kept the bike on the wheels, as I hit the deer in the stummach and it were pushed off into the road side. I saw in the rear mirror how it rotated and got hurt.

In Denmark we call the authoraties who then sends a hunter to kill the animal, which he did approx ½ hour after the accident. I could drive off, but had to do some minor repairs...

And the smell... Had to wash the bike, as it really smelled like the deer I hit..

Picture on Flickr

Apparently another good fellow taken by a deer.

The season otta be year round and let the hunters take does, bucks and bambi's.

What a terrible waste of an important Dr.

Dave, I got an update on Dr. Steen's accident tonight. The S1000R had been delivered to him just the evening before. It was the first ride he'd taken on it. Very sad.

Oh no, very sad indeed. Lots of stuff to become familiar with including settings on that NEW bike.

Here in Texas, we would walk over and shoot it if it was injured then call a buddy with a truck and haul it and the bike home together ;)

Nothing like some grilled backstrap wrapped in bacon plus a beer to wash it down with, while you fix your bike :eek:!

Here in Texas, we would walk over and shoot it if it was injured then call a buddy with a truck and haul it and the bike home together ;)

Nothing like some grilled backstrap wrapped in bacon plus a beer to wash it down with, while you fix your bike :eek:!

+1 wrapped in Bacon.

How bout a goverment funded program to eradicate hoofed rats from road sides. Imagine a ground vehicle with guns that aim similar to Apache Helicopters; operator sees deer on road side computer aims gun, Venison for the hungry.

Two close calls last Sunday on the Palasides Pkwy. Opening Weekend...

When I started hunting nearly 50 yrs ago, New York's deer herd was estimated at a bit over 200,000 by the state biologists. They literally gave up formal counts in the late 80s when the numbers were known to be at about 1.2 million and increasing. There aren't enough hunters to kill them fast enough and I'd support almost anything that didn't accidentally kill a bystander. Bambis are for dinner and I've done more than my share but the buggers breed faster than guppies. We should be encouraging back yard suburban archery as a supplement for food budgets.

Backstraps are good (I like mine southern fried) but they also make great burgers and Italian sausage. Here in NC, we feed the rib cages to the dogs.

Not only in Texas. Here in MD many years ago I had one of my deer events. Bike on the ground (totaled) I with broken arm etc. Police/ambulance came. A police man shot the deer. While I'm being loaded in the ambulance somebody asks if I want the deer. I just shake my head. One of the paramedic ladies answers back, she wants it, just leave it there. The hospital was near. Later I knew they went back with the ambulance, loaded the deer and took it. Her husband knew what to do with it.

When I started hunting nearly 50 yrs ago, New York's deer herd was estimated at a bit over 200,000 by the state biologists. They literally gave up formal counts in the late 80s when the numbers were known to be at about 1.2 million and increasing. There aren't enough hunters to kill them fast enough and I'd support almost anything that didn't accidentally kill a bystander. Bambis are for dinner and I've done more than my share but the buggers breed faster than guppies. We should be encouraging back yard suburban archery as a supplement for food budgets.

Backstraps are good (I like mine southern fried) but they also make great burgers and Italian sausage. Here in NC, we feed the rib cages to the dogs.

As an old bowhunter, I support that plan also. Seems I ride more than I hunt anymore tho. Around here the roads near the WMAs (wildlife management areas) are the safest, very tough hunting in those places.

I also hit one with my car and hit one with my bike (honda SS750)I was lucky it just knocked us(with passenger)to the oncoming lane, no vehicle was occupying at the time.

Here in Austin TX the deer is migrating from the suburbs where they are wide spread and into the city.

The city wants to spend taxpayer dollars to hire sharp shooters to thin 'em out a bit.

Where I live old folks feed the deer - like pets- with deer corn, the deer is now so accustom to people they will eat corn out of a person's hand.

Deer also kills /eats all new oaktree saplings so no new oak trees grow and the cedar/juniper ( very invasive and water hungry ) trees are taking over the towns.

I strongly agree with letting people bow hunt and eat all deer that live within the city limits.

Counted 8 dead deer on the 58 corridor in S VA today from Danville to Chesapeake, I would bet there were some fresh ones near the road but out of sight as well.

Saw the red mist from the truck in front of me that hit a deer this weekend In Kansas. Nice buck, at least 6 points.

Dodged one deer myself, think there was a slight tap, riding sure improves your awareness when in the cage too. Saw the forest rat and hard on the brakes, saved a collision and hopefully educated the deer.

Rod

Archived