IGNORED

Lost Key - Gutted

roundy

So I've lost the key for my RT, luckily I had the plastic key in my wallet so I could get home. I am pretty sure I must have dropped it whilst walking through the back yard at work. I am assuming some scroat has picked it up and put two and two together seeing the BMW bike. I am now super worried that I may come out from work and find my bike stolen :-(

I am hoping I can just replace the lock barrel and get a key re-coded? Has anyone else had to do this?

Not 100% on this but can't BMW disable the lost key? Reprogram the ones you have, something on that order?

Call your dealer, if someone has the key they might not be able to start the bike but it would still operate the locks.

Afternoon roundy

You can have your lock cylinder re-keyed or do it yourself.

Might be easier and much cheaper to just install a hidden kill switch on the starter relay circuit.

In fact if you want to get creative and make that a single throw double contact switch you could have the starter button sound the horn if someone tries to start it without flipping that switch first.

Not 100% on this but can't BMW disable the lost key? Reprogram the ones you have, something on that order?

Call your dealer, if someone has the key they might not be able to start the bike but it would still operate the locks.

I only have the plastic key now, so I am going to have to get a new key, hence why I am thinking it might be better to get a new barrel and keys to match? Also that way the panniers etc will be secure.

I only have the plastic key now, so I am going to have to get a new key, hence why I am thinking it might be better to get a new barrel and keys to match? Also that way the panniers etc will be secure.

Makes sense, but still stinks that you have to do that.

Yeah, sucks is'nt the word. I imagine the barrel and keys will come as a set and wont be "that" expensive. Not sure what the labour will be from BMW.

Also my plastic key will no longer fit so I wonder if that comes with the barrel? Think I am gonna have to place a call to my dealer tomorrow.

At least I can keep the bike in the yard at work behind a locked gate in the meantime.

Part of me wants to leave the bike there and stake it out....

Yeah, sucks is'nt the word. I imagine the barrel and keys will come as a set and wont be "that" expensive. Not sure what the labour will be from BMW.

Also my plastic key will no longer fit so I wonder if that comes with the barrel? Think I am gonna have to place a call to my dealer tomorrow.

At least I can keep the bike in the yard at work behind a locked gate in the meantime.

Part of me wants to leave the bike there and stake it out....

Maybe hang loose for a day or two just in case it turns up.

Afternoon again roundy

I can’t find the re-keying process in the service manual but I doubt you will need a new lock barrel in any of the ignition or case locks. It usually just takes another set of insertable wafers in the existing lock barrels, or in some cases maybe just a reposition of the existing ones plus maybe a new wafer or two.

Most BMW dealers have a bag full of old wafers as they just swap them around.

With a new key you will need a reprogram of the electronic key reading antenna system as the pellet in the key will be different. I think you only get 9 or 10 re-programs before the system runs out of possibilities then it gets REAL expensive.

So the bike will code the new key so to speak? Is it the plastic key that initiates the coding? I am not sure how it will work as if I change the wafers for the new key the old plastic one wont fit :-S

Confused.com

Afternoon again roundy

You will have to talk to your BMW dealer on the actual re-keying process. I believe the BMW dealer will have to re-program your bike’s ZFE module to accept the new key’s passive internal pellet before the new key will actually start the bike. It has nothing to do with your plastic key.

That is a requirement of the anti-theft system built into your bike so a person can’t just put a new key in that turns the switch on then ride off with the bike.

Edit:

Your motorcycle not only needs the ignition key to fit and turn the ignition switch on, it ALSO needs to read the encoding pellet buried in the key and match that to what it has programmed in it’s ZFE memory before the bike will start.

You would have to disassemble the locks, remove the tumbler assembly. If you switch the tumblers, BMW is going to have to figure out the new code. Then they will have to order keys to this code. Then program the chips. Keys are in the neighborhood of 60.00 (so I'm told)

I would recommend calling the dealer on this one, it can't be the 1st time this happened and rather than guessing they might have some good recommendations.

I think you are needlessly worried. You have assumed that the key was actually found, that the finder has figured out what vehicle it goes to, he/she knows how to ride a motorcycle, has a desire to steal one, and doesn't care that they could convert a stolen Japanese sport bike to cash much easier and more efficiently.

Just have your dealer make another key for your bike and forget about it.

Jay

Did ya have your seat off for any reason? I lost my key in the release several times. :dopeslap:

Pat

This has happened to me quite frequently. :grin:

Kinda of scary, ain't it?

Roundy -

My RT came originally with one metal key and one plastic key. I asked my dealer for a second metal key, which turned out to be part of some kind of warranty campaign. If I hadn't asked, I would never have known. In your case you might be able to get a new metal key as part of the same campaign.

Making the new coded key was not done by my dealer, however. It had to be specially ordered from BMW's key shop (wherever that is) and took several days to arrive. (Maybe there's a quicker procedure in the UK).

By now you've probably checked the seat lock - I happen to know that's a really good suggestion.

When I got the 800ST a couple years I got the metal key and a plastic second. They also said the American market had cried so much that corporate BMW was issuing a second metal key. Took me two months to get is but get it I did.

I carry a spare set of keys in the pocket of the Stitch!

So spoken to the dealer and the best option is to get a new key (£27), they can then block the lost one. Then I'll get hold of a second hand one for the panniers and just have to run with two.

Can you change the wafers in the barrel of the glove box lock?

So it's chucking it down with rain here in Hammersmith, I go to the front door of the office, open my umbrella - - - - and guess what falls out :-D Never wanted to embrace the rain sooooo much in all my life!!!

The keys have a radio transmitter in them that matches the antenna, which is coded to your VIN. I would take dirtriders advice and setup a kill switch.

Raining keys :clap:

If the key wasn't found it's great that BMW could disable the chip in a lost or "borrowed" key :thumbsup:

Glad it worked out for you.

Archived