IGNORED

Cross Canada journey

basilr

My wife Marlie and I completed a 3 month (89 day) motorcycle journey across Canada starting at our home in Sun Peaks, BC. We got as far East as Port au Choix Newfoundland, and covered 21,325kms, her on her F800ST and me on my R1200RT.

Our goal was to see our country and stick to small-town Canada while seeing it.

It is a journey I would recommend to anyone, even if they are 63 and 64 years old. The biking community is a great one, with help and instant friends if even for a short time.

We combined camping with motelling and staying with friends. I packed 63kgs and she packed 43kgs. This is what they looked like loaded.

203.jpg

202.jpg

We are in the final stages of preparing an uploadable file of labelled photos (492 of them out of 2200).

Our friends are having a "Welcome home" party on Friday where we get to test the file. When all is well I hope to post it.

Thanks for your interest. It has been a blast.

Basil

We saw one bear in Ontario that casually walked through our campsite, two moose that caused a sudden braking in New Brunswick and a few deer. I think we had to brake for one of them.

Not even too many crazy cagers, although they are out there.

• 6 months later...

Well, the bikes are back on the road and we are looking forward to another season “on the road”. It won’t be as long or as well planned as last year’s journey but it should be fun.

As we wait for the end of June to head out, I thought I would make a short list of things to see and rides to take if any other members happen to be in the areas travelled by us in 2010.

So to start, and in no particular order, I would suggest:

Motorcycle Museum in St.-Jean-Port-Jolie, Quebec on the south side of the St Lawrence River. Give yourself 2 to 3 hours.

Jardin des Metis botanical gardens on the North Shore of the St Lawrence River. 3 to 4 hours.

Highway 470 from Port aux Basque NL to Rose Blanche – 41kms of one of the best bike roads ever if you hit it with no or little traffic and a perfect day.

Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, Drumheller, Alberta. Give it a day and make some side trips to maybe Wayne, AB.

World Famous Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington Alberta. Surprise yourself but also listen for the bells ringing on the hour at the little church in town.

Champagne Forest at the campground at Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba. Surprise yourself again. 2 to 3 hours.

Men’s (and ladies’?) restrooms at the Restaurant with the Patio on the main drag in Massey Ontario. Good place to eat too.

Cox’s Cove Newfoundland. Only 40kms from Cornerbrook but a totally different world as are a lot of places on “The Rock”. If you hit it right, you may enjoy a fantastic sunset and when the tide is right, a stairway descent down the cliff to the water’s edge.

With 89 days and 21000kms under our belt, there were an untold number of places to see and things to do, a lot of which show up in tourist guides, but these are some of the “out of the way” stops and rides I wanted to share with you.

Thank you all for the interest. Below is a link to the slideshow Marlie and I put together from our photos.

The show is about 50 minutes long and is done to music that we tried to fit into the atmosphere of the pictures. So put on the headphones and enjoy the show. It should work if you just click on the avatar or the "Start slideshow" button.

If there are any problems please let me know.

This is a great forum and I hope I have added to it.

http://www.shwup.com//openalbum/crosscanada_adventure_summer_2010?token=m6LjM1Hhttc

Regards, Basil

What a wonderful photo essay!

Sure sounds like a great trip, it certainly gives the itch to get on the road again.

Archived