IGNORED

Harley Versus BMW Mindset

RockBottom

I had a discussion with my Harley-riding buddy this morning that seemed to perfectly encapsulate the different mindsets between the two brands. I mentioned that I'd added mirror extenders to my R1200R. By making the mirrors stick out further, these certainly didn't improve the looks, but did help with visibility. He said that on his Ultra, he also moved the mirrors from the stock position. While this decreased his visibility, it improved the look.

Nice n Easy Rider

Given the popularity of Harleys here in North Carolina, the mindset you noted might play a role in this recent news release:

"The NC Highway Patrol says that the number of North Carolina motorcycle deaths went up 20% this year. As of last Thursday, 78 people had already died in North Carolina motorcycle crashes this year—compared to the 65 North Carolina motorcyclist fatalities that occurred by around the same time last year."

:(

Based on?

Data showing HD's are involved in more fatal crashes.

Too stereotypical.

I'd wager data shows something else.

Of the highway traffic fatalities in North Carolina in 2005, approximately 32 percent (484 deaths) involved driver impairment. Of these fatalities, 152 were motorcyclists – 93 percent of whom were helmeted, 42 of whom had a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .01 or higher, and 110 of whom had no BAC.

In 2007, there were 195 fatal motorcycle accidents in North Carolina. Of the victims of these crashes, 93 percent were wearing helmets, 26 percent were riding with a BAC of .08 or higher, and 33 percent had a BAC of 0.01 or higher.

North Carolina is one of 20 states with a universal helmet law; 9 with a program intended to help law enforcement identify riders wearing non-compliant helmets; 17 with a helmet use education program; 27 with an anti-impaired riding education program; and 17 with anti-impaired riding enforcement efforts

Between 2004 and 2008 motorcycle deaths ranged from 136 to 201 and there is no trend.

I also live in an area where Harleys are 50-75% of the bikes on the road. I don't think that's increased though, so I'm not sure it would contribute to the increased number of accidents or fatalities. In my very unscientific observation, though, I am convinced that Harley riders have the lowest percentage of helmet use, particularly full face. And I've never seen a BMW with ape hangers.

And I didn't mean to imply that one mindset was necessarily superior. Heck, my two riding buddies are on an Ultra and a V-Rod. Just that the Harley mindset is focused on the look. Another point I use to illustrate that is to suggest that people go to the Harley web site and look at the "key features" list for each model. Every single one deals with the look of the bike rather than the ride, technology, or safety.

Yes, a very interesting juxtaposition that says a lot about your differing priorities. To what extent it broadly applies is debatable, but the different mindsets fit my experiences too.

Too each his own.

Jay

From time to time I run into into a Harley rider that really knows what they are doing. There is a certain magic about any bike in the hands of a capable rider but especially a Harley.

Most Harley riders bought their HD because it is a ticket into a lifestyle that they desperately want to be included in.

"Most Harley riders bought their HD because it is a ticket into a lifestyle that they desperately want to be included in."

I live in the Harley world - work with a Harley/BMW dealer. I could not have said it better.

Unfortunately my Harley riding friends think this is this is the typical BMW rider.

Typical BMW buyer

It isn’t the motorcycle brand it’s the mind set of the rider. I know some BMW riders including myself that own Harley’s and lots or Harley owners that also own BMW’s.

I also know exceptionally good riders in both groups and it would take one heck of a good BMW RT rider to keep up with some the Harley guys I have ridden with.

Before we generalize too much, understand this simple fact: Of all "cross shoppers" new to BMW, more come from Harley than anywhere else. I, too, am included in that. Unlikely that someone's whole mindset is so different because of his brand of bike, especially when given the cross shopping demographic.

-MKL

I find that mindset quite similar to my younger Harley riding brother.

While I reminisce about riding my RT to Utah a few years ago, how neat the heated grips and adjustable windshield were, his face comes aglow when discussing chrome, drag pipes and short rides to Michigan's Thumb with his buddies, stopping at several bars along the way.

Twenty years ago that great difference in riding "preference" would have separated us like the North and South but I find today that anyone riding two wheels for any reason, for any length of time makes me feel good.

2 Wheels, anything with 2 Wheels = Good

RPG

I accidentally came across an old co-worker at the shooting range on Sat. He was on his HD. I pulled up on my 800GS. When we first realized who each other was we met with a warm embrace. He then said: Still driving those Japanese bikes huh? I laughed and said he knew nothing about BMW.

He proceeded to take up my range time to tell me how the HD was superior to my beemers in many ways. He then stated that he had just come back from a 10 day 700 mile trip. OMG!!!!

I informed him that 700 miles in a day was not unusual for me and other riders. He quickly shut up and said that HD's can do that but their riders weren't stupid. We called it quits and shot some lead and parted friends again......

I for one do not think that even if given an HD I would keep it...just not my ride. For others? Sure, but not me.......

Typical BMW buyer

Now that is funny!

Not Found

The requested URL /watch/7110381/ was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.xtranormal.com Port 80

I also know exceptionally good riders in both groups and it would take one heck of a good BMW RT rider to keep up with some the Harley guys I have ridden with.

Where does the line start? I for one would certainly be impressed with such an exceptional ride and rider.

Contrast the typical BMW buyer to the demographics in this genuine HD commercial.

I'm gonna get me a henna tat.

Typical BMW buyer

Now that is funny!

Not Found

The requested URL /watch/7110381/ was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.xtranormal.com Port 80

Where does the line start? I for one would certainly be impressed with such an exceptional ride and rider.

Contrast the typical BMW buyer to the demographics in this genuine HD commercial.

I'm gonna get me a henna tat.

Show us your t#ts!

Unfortunately my Harley riding friends think this is this is the typical BMW rider.

Typical BMW buyer

My GOD that was completely an totally hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing. Another difference, a BMW guy can laugh at what people think about his bike. Too funny!

However, the Harley commercial was funny too. Too bad it WASN'T a parody.

I didn't think it was so funny. I don't have a 4500 dollar gortex whale foreskin lined BMW adventure suit. Maybe my dealer has one my size in stock? Wait a minute it will hide my henna tats.

I ride both. As a result, I have become bipolar.

I used to have one of each, but had to get rid of one because of mindset confusion--never knew which one to carry with me.

Typical BMW buyer

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit, that's freakin' funny.

Oh crap! I can't believe I agree with Russell and Matt at the same time! Mercy me, I think I'm having vapors! :grin:

i have had 3 harleys, and i rode the piss out of them....that said...they are definately a mind set and WAY of life rather than a ride...

I wanted to FIT in so bad i suffered with a bike that was way inferior.

I got over the wanting to be a bada$$ and got BACK to riding because i love riding.

i put over 400 in a day on my harley...but it sucked most of that day...

as with ANYTHING...there are legit riders on harleys...but they are the exception to the rule.

MOST of the harley riders i know just want to wear as much dead cow as possible, shave their heads, grow their goaties and TRY to look bada$$ at the bar...

sport tourers seem to be more into riding....yes there is still too many stereo types....i find myself shopping for a modular helmet all of a sudden...but i think the amount of miles actually put on a bike is disproportionate between HD and BMW...with bmws being substantially higher on average

I have yet to see a beemer with 3-foot tassles hanging off the ends of the handlebars. What genius thought it would be a good idea to tie a bunch of loose strings to the steering mechanism of a moving motor vehicle?

Maybe it just me, but that one escapes my logic...

This says a lot....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889/?autoplay=false

art imitating life.

That was pretty good. I'm not a south park fan but I got a good laugh out of that too. Living in Wisconsin, 90% of the bikes here are Harleys. I actually don't have any problem with Harleys per se, but for God's sake put a muffler on the dang thing! I have the same problem with any loud bike. The issue is, 90% of the Harleys on the road need mufflers that work (muffles sound)

The Harley Davidson mindset will be in full bloom in my home town starting today through Saturday. Bikes, Blues and Barbque comes to town for the 11th consecutive year with one of the largest gatherings of unmuffled motorcycles on the planet. Imagine a small college town with 50,000 Harleys roaring for 72 hours straight. I always try to be out of town but am stuck in town this year. The economic benefit to State and local tax coffers along with the boost to local merchants and charities is supposed to ease the suffering but it still pisses me off.

The REAL difference between H-D riders and BMW riders is that H-D riders do not make posts on their forums about BMW riders or bikes.

Like they say, ride your own ride.

The REAL difference between H-D riders and BMW riders is that H-D riders do not make posts on their forums about BMW riders or bikes.

Actually, they do. And in person they say "aw, yew ain't a real man less'n ya ride a Harley".

My question is, what were they before they got they's Harley?

dc

The Harley Davidson mindset will be in full bloom in my home town starting today through Saturday. Bikes, Blues and Barbque comes to town for the 11th consecutive year with one of the largest gatherings of unmuffled motorcycles on the planet. Imagine a small college town with 50,000 Harleys roaring for 72 hours straight. I always try to be out of town but am stuck in town this year. The economic benefit to State and local tax coffers along with the boost to local merchants and charities is supposed to ease the suffering but it still pisses me off.

Geez!!! Sounds like a hell of a good time, not sure what there is to get pissed about, lets see BBQ check, bikes check, Music check, still don't see what is so bad about it. :)

Whether they do or do not make posts, Bob's sentiments are spot on. Buy, farkle, and ride whatever bike makes you happy.

IMHO, these types of discussions don't serve any useful purpose.

I go to this every year, on my R1150RS wearing nice bright green Olympia gear and white flip front helmet. I have never got a real bike type comment. Usually park next to megabling customs and get more questions then they will, kind of fun. It is interesting how many questions are about exhausts, and when I explain there is almost no horsepower to gain, they are confused. I show them the large under transmission exhaust, and explain how adequate muffler volume allows low restriction and low noise. At 67K for an 02, mine is not High mileage by any stretch, but many of them are stunned. They are also taken aback that the mileage is not a concern.

Test rides are fun, and I always test ride some Harleys. They are nice bikes and I could see owning one someday.

I ride on some of the back roads where under 2 inch travel HD do not venture, so I have a nice ride.

Someone has to represent the other brands.

Rod

Those rallies can be good place for people watching.

I either show up on my old cop bike or a muddy dualsport.

Harley guy told his buddies he wantes to get an RT. His buddy said "you won't be in HOG anymore if you do and besides they sound like George Jetson's car."

Archived