IGNORED

new exhaust for newer twins

windtwin

to date I have gotten a 50/50 response to the question of changing exhaust from OEM. Because Duo Techs Laser w/ chip is being installed on factory oilheads I am starting to think they must have something to offer, and the claim of no aftermarket performance improvements may be an over statement? I wanna let our RT breath and maybe even perform a little better, is that too much to ask. Are all these claims of more HP etc. just not true at all?

russell_bynum

If you just do a pipe, you will gain no power.

If you go the full route with a pipe without cat, chip, etc you might gain a little.

Spend your money on a good quality track school instead. You'll get far more out of your bike by learning how to be a better rider than you'll ever get with bolt-on parts...and the skills will transfer to anything you ride.

If you've still got money burning a hole in your pocket, throw a set of Ohlins/Works/Wilburs, etc shocks at the bike...that's the best bang for the buck bolt-on performance upgrade you can buy.

to date I have gotten a 50/50 response to the question of changing exhaust from OEM. Because Duo Techs Laser w/ chip is being installed on factory oilheads I am starting to think they must have something to offer, and the claim of no aftermarket performance improvements may be an over statement? I wanna let our RT breath and maybe even perform a little better, is that too much to ask. Are all these claims of more HP etc. just not true at all?

I think there are some dyno reports buried in the archives here. Speaking in a literal sense, it would be incorrect to say there is no gain. From a practical sense, the hp gain will be about equal to the standard deviation of actual hp from bike to bike. $$$ per HP is going to be very high. Generally, folks tend to feel it's just not worth the bucks for the hp. Again, the same money spent on suspension or rider or comfort pays much, much higher dividends! grin.gif

What Russell said: By far the best way to improve the performance of your bike is to FIRST invest in yourself.

I do about two Track Days a year and I always come away satisfied with the performance of the bike (stock '04RT or '74 R90s)......and even sometimes myself.

Look at most of the dyno results for aftermarket exhausts. What do you see? 1-3hp improvement? You'll never feel it. Save your money, all the bolt on stuff will only slightly improve the power of your machine.

rpg

I don't know about BMWs but I can tell you about my experience with my last bike an 02 VFR. I put a staintune slip on and a power commander on the bike. Dyno figures on similarly equipped bikes (I didn't dyno mine) showed an improvement in top end (in the range of 5-6hp) but in day to day riding this improvement was not, in my opinion noticeable. Most of the gains where in the upper RPM ranges that are not used as much when street riding. The modifications were expensive and the primary advantage I got was less weight and a great sounding bike (they looked better than stock too). There was a slight improvement in mid range response but this was more due to the power commander fixing a lean spot in the stock fuel injection mapping than the pipe. The lean spot was deliberately created by Honda to improve fuel economy (and fuel mileage did drop with the power commander installed).

Overall the improvements in my VFR were fairly modest at best and I decided that I probably wouldn't bother with the expense and fuss again. If your after looks, sound or weight reduction then go for it but, based on my VFR experience, I wouldn't expect there to be a really big difference in engine performance.

Archived