IGNORED

Home safe, and no KABOOM!

EffBee

First, my thanks to Calvin, Eddd, Killer, Vlad and others who pitched in.

Rolling through SLC on my way to Torrey, my throttle cable frayed, and the throttle stuck wide open (it frayed as I made a wide-open-throttle first gear lane change in Wed. afternoon stop n' go traffic). Got 'er shut down and up against the center median where I gingerly worked the throttle cable back into its sheathing, such that I had some operational control in the lower half of the rpm range. With that, I made it the rest of the 3 hours to Torrey.

I had spare cables with me, so off to Killer's Garage I went. After stripping the tupperware, it was obvious that the fuel lines would have to be disconnected from the fuel-distribution/regulator so that I could get the cable junction box to slide out and the cables replaced. Keep in mind that mine is an 1100RT which did not come with quick-release fuel couplers (it will get them this winter). In the process of removing and reinstalling the fuel lines, the plastic tubes to the pressure regulator, to which the fuel lines connect, proved to be quite stubborn in releasing their bond on the fuel lines. Even with the hose clamps completely removed, they didn't want to come apart.

The top one finally gave way. But I ended up trying to twist the lower one off. BIG mistake. The plastic regulator line split. Gas everywhere. I was done. The bike was staying at Killer's and I was going to have to fly home from SLC.

I shouldn't have given up so easily. Calvin is a professional mechanic (mostly Volvos) and works on fuel-injection systems almost daily. He cut off the cracked plastic, leaving a mere 3/4" of straight plastic before a 90-degree elbow which leads to the fuel pressure regulator hidden under the battery box. Eddd noticed that the piece that Calvin had removed, contained a very thin brass sleeve. The offending piece was split lengthwise, the sleeve removed, and then gingerly tapped into place in the short piece of straight plastic I had left before the elbow. This helped keep the plastic tube from crushing under the pressure of the fuel line and its hose clamp. The question, though, was would it work? It did long enough to do a quick TB sync on the new throttle cables. But would it make it back all the way to Washington? After a day apart in Killer's garage, it was time for a test ride. Tomorrow.

I slept well. After all, it would or it wouldn't and that's all there was. When it came time for a 100-mile loop to ensure that it wasn't going to come apart, I chose Sweeper Madness with a detour around Fish Lake on the return. Tim (10over) NoraH and Vlad followed, which was both comforting and disturbing. It was comforting because if I'd broken down, Nora or Vlad would have gotten me back to Torrey. It was disturbing because Tim kept flicking his Bic at me, laughing, and saying something about the plane in Die Hard and the fuel trail coming off the wing. Nasty sense of humor, it was.

Anyway, it held on that loop, and over the past 28 hours, it got me home. I can't thank Calvin, Eddd, Bob Palin and others for their support, use of space, contributed wisdom and skills, as well as their encouragement. I've now got the winter to get a new fuel regulator/distributor installed on the bike, along with some quick-release fuel couplers.

Anyway, it held on that loop, and over the past 28 hours, it got me home.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Tim kept flicking his Bic at me, laughing, and saying something about the plane in Die Hard and the fuel trail coming off the wing. Nasty sense of humor, it was.

Priceless!!! :grin::thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've now got the winter to get a new fuel regulator/distributor installed on the bike, along with some quick-release fuel couplers.

Clever fix, snipping off the cracked portion and salvaging the brass insert. Now that it's fully functional, is it really necessary to replace it? Installing a new regulator gets you a brand-new regulator with brand-new internals and a full-length virgin-plastic tube stub on it, but knowing the major PITA required for installation, is that worth the effort?

OTOH, your existing regulator has been severely stressed by that twisting action, and although it's only got, what, 20K miles on it, it is about a decade old. If you replace it now, you won't have to think twice about it for a berry long time.

Something to think about...

Glad you made it home safe. That fix will probably last longer than the bike itself. You were in good hands. I now know that when Calvin puts his hat on backwards, he's got the solution!

I've now got the winter to get a new fuel regulator/distributor installed on the bike, along with some quick-release fuel couplers.

Clever fix, snipping off the cracked portion and salvaging the brass insert. Now that it's fully functional, is it really necessary to replace it? Installing a new regulator gets you a brand-new regulator with brand-new internals and a full-length virgin-plastic tube stub on it, but knowing the major PITA required for installation, is that worth the effort?

OTOH, your existing regulator has been severely stressed by that twisting action, and although it's only got, what, 20K miles on it, it is about a decade old. If you replace it now, you won't have to think twice about it for a berry long time.

Something to think about...

Bike is going to a respected independent BMW mechanic this winter to have a set of nearly new (from a totaled bike) 1150 pistons and cylinders installed. As long as he's taking it down that far, I'm going to have him install the new regulator setup, and do a spline lube as well (bike came with a non-functioning neutral light, so a new switch goes in as well). In all, it'll cost me a grand, which should put the bike right for the next 50K miles. I don't relish spending $1K, but I think of it as equal to 3 payments on a new bike, and no CANbus!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Bike is going to a respected independent BMW mechanic this winter to have a set of nearly new (from a totaled bike) 1150 pistons and cylinders installed.

Crap, I wish I'd a thunk to do that to my 1100RT. Combine that with San Jose BMW's twin-spark mod (and the classic GS intake tube substitution), and you'd get a righteous boost in power.

Francois_Dumas

Same happened (I think) to my 1150 when being serviced. I got a new connection, metal this time, no more plastic. Apparently these things break off regularly on older bikes.

Glad you got home alright and 'Mr. BBQ' fixed it :-)

Calvin  (no socks)

Did you want to consider the extended warranty on that item? :grin:

Just in the line of duty...giving back to the BMWST community.

Diagnosed a KTM fuel pump seizure on a new bike, 2 spring Torreys ago.

At the Un this summer diagnosed the clutch slave on Endobobs K12 with limited tools.

Assisted on an emergency fuel line re-section Torrey XX.

Now thinking of Richards starter issue and Phils clutch anomaly.

Same happened (I think) to my 1150 when being serviced. I got a new connection, metal this time, no more plastic. Apparently these things break off regularly on older bikes.

Who makes metal replacement fuel line tubes?

Who makes metal replacement fuel line tubes?

I think he is talking about the quick connectors not the lines,,,Glade you made it home OK,,,Thanks for the ride to the parts store,,,,,,
Francois_Dumas

The thingies that the fuel line from the tank are connected to. Kind of an elbow form, made of plastic, and very 'breakable'.

I think BMW replaced them themselves with metal ones. I got them at the dealer.

I went looking for the fire extinguisher when you squirted gas all over the place. No joy. I will be bringing one my next trip for Bob's garage.

I did intend to toss you a handful of gravel on my way out if it ignited!

Archived