IGNORED

calculating the cost of "new to me" tires.

elkroeger

I'm not likely to do this, but I am interested in figuring out the math problem here:

I've got a friend that bought a new pickup. His old one has over 300K on the clock, so he's taking it to the junk yard. The tires however are only about 1/2 worn.

And I've got an Isuzu that takes the same size tire. I figure the tires that are on it are only good for another 10K miles.

For the sake of argument, I assume both sets are good for 50,000 miles. Swapping the tires from one car to the other at the local tire store, will be $120. And he wants $50 for himself.

So I figure I'll get 25K out of his old tires. Minus the 10K that I abandon on my old tires. So I net 15K miles, for $170.

Figure typical 10K miles per year, and a new set will run me about $650. I've also assumed (optimistically) 2% interest on the money in my savings account.

How much should I pay (total) for these old tires?

I come up with about $100 as the break even point.

Why swap? Just run your existing tires till they wear out, then mount the new ones....they must have some old beaters rims/tires at the junkyard for rolling it around.....

You're going to have to factor in the fact that end of the world is coming on December 21, 2012, so any projected mileage out of the new/used tires after that isn't going to count.

Seriously, though, how precise are your mileage estimates for these tires? "About 1/2 worn" doesn't sound too precise, and you have to ask yourself if you're going to actually use them down to the wear bars.

$650, really?

What size and type of tire?

There have been plenty of buy 3 get one free and/or a rebate from tire manu's lately.

I wouldn't bother, but I replaced all four newish tires on a used truck I bought when one of them failed.

I hate tire failure at speed in any vehicle.

#1 the junk yard told him they'd give him $300 or so for that model ford, if it drove in under its own power. I assume dropping off a car without tires will end up costing me more money. And I don't have any place to store them anyway.

#2 I actually measured the tread depth, and calculated the remaining miles at 30K. It's as good a number as I'm gonna get without looking at the odometer. I knocked off 5K, just to be safe.

#3 Bf Goodrich. Sure, that's top dollar, but I tend to assume everything will cost more than it should.

The comments are beside the point really. Like I said, I'm mostly curious about figuring out the math problem here.... Where is that break even point?

Your issue is right here in this statement.

Swapping the tires from one car to the other at the local tire store, will be $120. And he wants $50 for himself.

Look further into tire shops, especially in the latino neighborhoods around town. Yes, I know it's Washington... but try looking.

$650, really?

What size and type of tire?

For my 2007 Tundra Crewmax, P255/70R/18, the price through Tirerack.com is roughly 660 plus shipping and handling for the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain). Then, you have to plop down another 80 to 100 for installation costs.

I checked at the Firstone dealer and he wanted about 850 installed for the same tire.

Used Tires:

15K Miles @ $170 = 0.0113/Mile

10K miles/year *.0113/mile = $113/yr

New Tires:

50K Miles @ $650 = 0.013/mile

10K miles/year *.013/mile = $130/yr

Difference of $17/year, or $25 savings over the lifetime of the used tire.

To me, not worth the hassle and risk.

The only math problem I see here is why a friend would charge you 50 bucks when he is going to get the same price at the junkyard with his tires or your swapped out tires. Thats all Im gonna say on this one. gotta go to work.

The only math problem I see here is why a friend would charge you 50 bucks when he is going to get the same price at the junkyard with his tires or your swapped out tires. Thats all Im gonna say on this one. gotta go to work.

Yeah, that had occurred to me too. Perhaps "co-worker" is a more accurate description of the relationship...

Anyway, the idea presented itself, and mostly I was interested in scratching my head about the math. Surely the $100 that I had figured couldn't be right. As SageRider stated $25 seems a little more reasonable.

Archived