IGNORED

New battery needed?

JoeR

The last few times I've cranked my bike, my ABS lights have started to blink in an alternating pattern and don't go out when I drive off. It may be a coincidence, but it also seems to be a longer crank when this happens.

When this happens, I come to a stop. I let the motor warm up a little then turn off the key. When I turn the key back on and crank it, it fires right up and the ABS lights go out as expected when I take off.

I read somewhere that low voltage will cause the ABS failure. Is this the beginning signs of a bad battery? Should I try a replacement battery?

I leave the battery on a tender 24-7 when not riding. I ride the motorcycle daily.

Hi Joe,

I would recommend skipping the Battery Tender if you ride daily. Using a Tender when the battery is fully charged just (slowly) boils acid. Have you checked your cell levels lately? If they are low, a little distilled water may solve your problem. If not, or if it's a sealed battery (gel or AGM), then you probably need a new battery.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies; I'm pretty sure it's a sealed battery (I inherited it from the PO, so I'm not sure), but this has me on the right track.

This does bring up one question; I bought a "smart" battery tender. I thought they were supposed to turn off when the battery is charged. The light does turn to green pretty quickly, which I thought meant it has stopped charging.

Is this not the case?

Hi Joe,

you are correct about the light on the smart tender. Sounds like your battery is getting a charge but not holding. The only way to tell if the battery is OK is to get it load tested. They can do that at a battery shop and it will tell you the condition. I can tell you from personal experience, that the start load can pull down a marginal battery quickly and that WILL make the ABS lights alternate. I changed out my gel battery for an AGM and have not had the flashing lights since. :thumbsup: BTW, that battery is still working fine 3 years later on my generator. The generator doesn't have ABS :D

Archived