IGNORED

New Soles on BMW Riding Boots

Powers77

It is possible. I had mine done at a local Atlanta area shoe repair shop. Word of warning, my BMW boots are over ten years old. I haven't checked out the newer boots to see if they are the same. You may have to ask around in your area to find one that can manage the replacement. Hope you fine a shop that can do the replacement.

It is getting more and more difficult to find a shoe repair shop. Maybe not so bad in the big metro areas, but in small town America, they are becoming extinct. I found a guy about 30 miles from here that does all sorts of things from saddles to Birkenstocks. He did a great job of stitching on new thicker soles on my boots.

You read my mind on the thicker soles. New GSA is challenging my inseam a bit. Looking for every fraction of an inch I can get.

I added thicker soles (+ ~1/2 inch) to my BMW boots and it worked like a charm. Tremendous difference. I had the shoe repair guy trim the area that sits on the peg so that my knew bend/flex would be the same. Worked like a charm.

I started a recent thread on this HERE

I've had a couple of pairs re-soled by a local cobbler.

I was careful to explain what the soles needed to do. They had to be soft and of the right composition to provide grip on oily roads, knobbly enough to provide traction when walking on gravel, mud or snow and ideally have an arch support to carry your weight on the foot pegs.

My cobbler found and ordered in a sole that would do nearly all of that, but he offered a separate metal arch support to fit up under the sole to provide the peg-support I wanted. The repair was about half the cost of new boots, but provided an upgrade in my mind.

The conspiracy theorist in me has a feeling that motorcycle boot makers put too soft rubber on their boots, allowing them to wear down too soon. I think they must be in cahoots with Metzler ; )

"The conspiracy theorist in me has a feeling that motorcycle boot makers put too soft rubber on their boots, allowing them to wear down too soon. I think they must be in cahoots with Metzler ;) "

and Michelin, and Dunlop, and Continental, and Bridgestone...

I've had great results from Dave The Cobbler in Seattle.

Dave Page Cobbler

Seattle Shoe Repair

3509 Evanston Ave N

Seattle, Washington 98103

(206) 632-8686

ADV Rider had a thread about this shop a while back...

http://newsole.com/boot_resole.htm

They will do MC boots.

Absolutely PLUS ONE on these guys. They'll put one of two different Sidi soles on ANY boot. I had the "Trials" sole put on (they used to spell it "Trails," prolly still do) at least two years and a zillion miles ago. They're not worn, but the midsole section is getting weak, so I'll prolly send them off this wenter. These are on Vendramini boots. Much better than the original soles. Excellent grip, easy to walk in. Or you can get the motocross soles.

This is the company Aerostich uses.

ADV Rider had a thread about this shop a while back...

http://newsole.com/boot_resole.htm

They will do MC boots.

Absolutely PLUS ONE on these guys. They'll put one of two different Sidi soles on ANY boot. I had the "Trials" sole put on (they used to spell it "Trails," prolly still do) at least two years and a zillion miles ago. They're not worn, but the midsole section is getting weak, so I'll prolly send them off this wenter. These are on Vendramini boots. Much better than the original soles. Excellent grip, easy to walk in. Or you can get the motocross soles.

This is the company Aerostich uses.

WHOOPSIE! Wrong company!

THIS is the company I used (as does Aerostich):

http://www.factoryresole.com/

Archived