IGNORED

Best Aftermarket exhaust???

ElDuche211

Coming from a crotch rocket world tongue.gif I like performance upgrades. I Read some post about aftermarket exhaust ( Staintune, Two Brothers etc..) Witch aftermarket would you recommend (if any) and why??? confused.gif I am just trying to make up my mind on with brand woks better dopeslap.gif with the 1100RT.

Thanks a lot. thumbsup.gif.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I would only change to an after-market exhaust if my OEM was broken or rendered unusable. The reason for this is that exhaust systems from any aftermarket source will not improve performance. This has been proven. If you're looking for different sound, that's a different story. If you're looking for improved performance, budget the full $$$ of the most expensive Staintune, and then use that amount towards suspension. You won't be sorry. thumbsup.gif

staintune then remus. avoid 2 bros > too loud.

Yeah, what Mr Bill said. Also the Staintune and Remus don't need to be repacked later. The Two bros system and the Baxter Metal Products system and I think the D+D also have to be repacked every so often.

One more thing, the Staintune and Remus have a removable baffle so you can be a bit sporty or keep it quiet.

russell_bynum
I would only change to an after-market exhaust if my OEM was broken or rendered unusable. The reason for this is that exhaust systems from any aftermarket source will not improve performance. This has been proven. If you're looking for different sound, that's a different story. If you're looking for improved performance, budget the full $$$ of the most expensive Staintune, and then use that amount towards suspension. You won't be sorry. thumbsup.gif

What he said.

What he said.

Make that a third. I've got a Remus Sport Ti exhaust system on my RT - really because I unexpectedly won it in a charity auction - which I actually like. But I also have tons of other mods that I've made over the years. The ONLY one that I would do again because it was the only one that contributed any real gain in performance, is the suspension.

A set of Ohlins or Wilbers is the best aftermarket investment you can make.

Remus is my exhaust of choice with twins. On inline fours I had Jardine,Two Brothers, Bassani, Yosh, and Kerker. The Wolf has been great on three Bikes VTR,R1150GS,R1200ST. The quality of workmanship is second to none and support from MaxMoto has been outstanding Knute, Heli, and Molly are the BEST!Twins don't do anything in big jumps like going from two stroke expanders to four strokes but the weight savings and cooler running characteristics make the change worth it.

I went with the Staintune. I like the ability to leave in the baffle and have a quiet sound, vs, the slightly louder version with the baffle out. I, myself like the baffle out sound. Plus, on a 1100 you can take out the ccp, add a potentiometer and have a much better performing engine with no surging.(at least on Bonbon, that is how it has turned out)

Hey great feedback Thanks a lot to all you that replied to my post thumbsup.gif. I will look into the Staintune and then the Remus, sound is but one if not the most important reason I will be putting and aftermarket exhaust.

Tad_Pole, I just installed a rear Ohlins and this suspension is in fact one of the best performance upgrades that you can possibly do. (guess I should replace the front shock as well... wink.gif.)

Why? You'll not improve the performance of the bike significantly, you'll make more noise to irritate others degrading the image of our sport further in the process, you'll pollute the air more that we all have to breath, and you'll potentially effect the bike's warranty.

Do the bike, yourself, and the rest of the planet a favor: Break away from the loud crowd! Leave the exhaust system to work as it was designed, and spend your hard-earned money on a GPS or something! thumbsup.gif

GPS or something thumbsup.gif

Well that's an Idea grin.gif, I was tinking more of a XM radio since I only used the bike for local commuting (200 mile radius). Ken H. Point well taken; still Do you think that the sound of an aftermarket would be as load as to bother communities, lets say a Staintune or a Remus???

GPS or something thumbsup.gif

Well that's an Idea grin.gif, I was tinking more of a XM radio since I only used the bike for local commuting (200 mile radius). Ken H. Point well taken; still Do you think that the sound of an aftermarket would be as load as to bother communities, lets say a Staintune or a Remus???

Neither of those systems are going to sound anything like straight pipes. The exhaust note will be bassier and just a tad louder. The loudest oilhead I ever heard was a GS with a BMP exhaust that was in dire need of repacking. THAT was annoying!!

While I agree that you probably don’t get much of a performance boost from an aftermarket exhaust, there is one other advantage on oil heads, especially for those of us who occasionally get stuck in hot stop and go traffic. Any of the aftermarket exhaust systems with a catalytic converter eliminator has to keep the transmission cooler and therefore have a positive effect on transmission longevity.

There are actual performance upgrades that can be achieved with a Remus exhaust, as long as you change out the headers and the air intake system. Go to the San Jose BMW web site and you will see what can be done, they also have hot pistons, and valves and cranks as well as porting and polishing. They claim on the 1100 they can get 99hp at the rear wheel.

I know that I made changes in the exhaust, the air intake and the headers and the bike runs like a screaming banshie!

Is it real or imagined? Yes.

While I agree that you probably don’t get much of a performance boost from an aftermarket exhaust, there is one other advantage on oil heads, especially for those of us who occasionally get stuck in hot stop and go traffic. Any of the aftermarket exhaust systems with a catalytic converter eliminator has to keep the transmission cooler and therefore have a positive effect on transmission longevity.

thanks for the great advise thumbsup.gif. Does anyone knows a good online site to buy either the Remus exhaust or the Stanture, or would it be better or the same price going through my local BMW dealer??

russell_bynum
There are actual performance upgrades that can be achieved with a Remus exhaust, as long as you change out the headers and the air intake system. Go to the San Jose BMW web site and you will see what can be done, they also have hot pistons, and valves and cranks as well as porting and polishing. They claim on the 1100 they can get 99hp at the rear wheel.

I know that I made changes in the exhaust, the air intake and the headers and the bike runs like a screaming banshie!

Is it real or imagined? Yes.

Good grief. Hot pistons, exhaust, air intake, headers, valves, port and polish...and all you're getting is 99hp? The RT makes ~88hp at the rear wheel stock, so all you're getting with all of that crap is 11hp?

Take all that money you'd waste to get a few extra ponies and put a decent set of shocks on the bike. Then take what's left over and spend a half-dozen days with the Superbike school.

Unless you're planning on taking the bike to the dragstrip, you'll be faster with the shocks and the track experience than if you spent all that dough on 11 extra ponies.

russell_bynum

Got any facts to back that up? Has anyone ever done oil analysis of the used transmission oil to show that a cat-less bike leaves the oil in better shape?

russell_bynum

Does anyone knows a good online site to buy either the Remus exhaust or the Stanture, or would it be better or the same price going through my local BMW dealer??

Usually, the dealers have pretty decent prices on that stuff, from what I've seen. Lisa has a Remus pipe with the silencer (you can get a straight pipe that replaces the Cat, or a silencer) on her R1100RS and we couldn't do much better than our local dealer. We kept the O2 sensor and stock fuel map (CCP). The install is pretty easy, though I did have to redo the throttle body sync afterwards to get the bike to run right. Also, the Remus sticks back farther than the stock pipe, so you have to loosen it and move it out of the way in order to get the rear wheel off for tire changes, etc. I'm not sure if the other exhausts are like that as well.

Any of the aftermarket exhaust systems with a catalytic converter eliminator has to keep the transmission cooler and therefore have a positive effect on transmission longevity.
Oh baloney. There has never been any heat related issues with transmissions on R bikes cause by catalytic heat. Put your hand on the tranny case sometime after a long ride on a cat equipped R bike. The case is barely warm.

Just another self-justification to remove the system and make more noise IMHO. And pollute the air more for the rest of us in the process.

I would love to see actual scientific analysis of transmission oil from a stock bike and a cat less bike that have both been baked in Washington D.C. Friday afternoon in August traffic. My assertion that removing the cat probably saves transmission life is from the observation that the cat is the hottest part of the exhaust system and in the stock configuration there is nearly no space between the cat and the transmission. It makes sense that removing the cat and increasing air flow around that section of the exhaust system will keep the transmission cooler under the worst traffic condition and there fore reduce the abuse to the transmission.

ShovelStrokeEd

And at low speeds and idling the cat barely heats at all. At best there will be a little radiant heat up from the cat. Hardly enough to worry about. Want to test my theory? You need only an electric range. Place a pot of water on the range and see how long it takes to come to a boil with the burner on high setting. Now use some form of grid to raise the pot 1 to 1.5" above the heating element and see how long it takes. I'll wait right here for your results. To make things even more realistic, turn on a fan and blow some cool air through the interface every couple of minutes or so.

BTW, when traffic stops, just split lanes, that way you won't be toasting. grin.gif

I like performance upgrades.

The only gain you'll realize is a weight reduction, styling and a depletion in your wallet.

All the comparisons I've seen against any stock pipe (even hot sport bikes) showed no "overall" gains. In fact, most produced dips in the RPM range where most BMWs are riden.

I switched out Bonbon's because: 1. Combined with the other changes outlined above, it eliminated her "Surging", and 2. I wanted a better sound experience, and I can truly say that I love the way she sings now. To me, the exhaust sound on a stock RT is boring.

russell_bynum
And at low speeds and idling the cat barely heats at all. At best there will be a little radiant heat up from the cat. Hardly enough to worry about. Want to test my theory? You need only an electric range. Place a pot of water on the range and see how long it takes to come to a boil with the burner on high setting. Now use some form of grid to raise the pot 1 to 1.5" above the heating element and see how long it takes. I'll wait right here for your results. To make things even more realistic, turn on a fan and blow some cool air through the interface every couple of minutes or so.

What Ed said.

For the record, I'm not against aftermarket exhaust. I'm just saying that they're not a cost-effective way to improve performance of the bike. If you want the sound of an aftermarket pipe, fine....I'll let you duke that out with Ken. wink.gif

If you're putting an aftermarket pipe on to cure surging, you're wasting your time. The other stuff you do (removing the O2 sensor, etc) is what fixes the surging, not the pipe...and you can apply those same fixes to a bike with a stock pipe without having to waste the money on an aftermarket one.

Ah shoot. I was told at the time that if I didn't remove the cat converter when I removed the ccp and installed the potentiometer, that the extra gas going into the cat would foul it up and then all heck would break out. I kept all the old stuff so if I wanted to bring her back to specks I could. For me anyway, she now runs much better that stock, so I guess except for polluting up the woild I am as happy as a GS in the mud.

Archived