IGNORED

Torrey Folks! Bryce Canyon in danger!!

doc47

This from Natural Resources Defense Committee: Is this for real or overreaction?

Every year, thousands of visitors to Bryce Canyon National Park in southwestern Utah experience the park's unforgettable rock formations, panoramic views, pristine air and clear night skies. But now that Utah regulators have approved a proposed strip mine near the park, that unique visitor experience could soon become a thing of the past. The Alton Development Company has plans to strip coal from 600 acres of private lands adjacent to Bryce Canyon, producing two million tons of coal annually, and is hoping to eventually expand the project to thousands of acres of surrounding federal land in southern Utah. Local residents, conservation groups and tourists are concerned about the potential air and noise pollution from the mine, especially in such close proximity to the national park. Several environmental groups including NRDC have appealed the state's approval of the mine's permit. A decision on the appeal by the Utah Board of Oil, Mining and Gas is expected soon. In the meantime, urge Utah Governor Gary Herbert to drop his support for the mine.

Joe Frickin' Friday
This from Natural Resources Defense Committee: Is this for real or overreaction?

Google search on "bryce canyon mining" says yes, it's for real. Turned up this article on endangered national parks, which includes the following statement:

On private land outside Utah’s Bryce Canyon National Park, a coal company has been cleared to launch a 440-acre strip mine that, ecologists say, could pollute waterways and send dust clouds over the park.

NRDC is one of the environmental organizations I respect the most. They are not into hype, have a solid team of experts, and are generally to be relied upon.

I will have to look into this.

Well we want power, this is the price we pay. Whos willing to go back to snail mail, encyclopedias, candles, etc? Not me. This little community we have here would not exist.

Well we want power, this is the price we pay. Whos willing to go back to snail mail, encyclopedias, candles, etc? Not me. This little community we have here would not exist.

We have choices to make in generating power. Even if we are locked in to coal for the next 10-15 years, we can choose where and how we get it. Here in Utah environmentalists have largely conceded the area around Price, a 3 county area with many hundreds of mines. The last I heard the reserves in that area are less than 2% depleted. There is more than enough coal in that area for the time being.

To state that we must degrade a premier national park with incredible vistas for power is an over simplification and short sighted.

Ultimately, of course, we must get off of fossil fuels. The sooner the better. Opening up new areas to development is contrary to the goal of developing alternate means of power generation.

I thought water pollution and air polution from mining were now regulated for the most part.

That being said having blasting and other typical strip mining activities adjacent to a scenic national park doesn't make sense.

Wah, Wah, Wah, It's outside the Park, Private land, Blast away. Folks forget, I was reminded by a show on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the scenic you see isn't part of the package, it's private land and can be used by the owners as they feel fit.

Mines are where they are because that is where the minerals are. What a positively ludicrutch idea!

Why can't they just mine all that nasty stuff some where us nice folks won't have to be bothered by it?

Do you nice folks know where your food comes from, where the textile clothes that protects your booties when you fall down off your BMW and what makes electricity to power your wine refrigerators and Latte machines? From big corporations that drill, mine and farm vast scenic parts of this country.

Double check your portfolios and make sure you aren't invested in this stuff.

And when you go to work in your electric cars remember it really isn't green.

To parody a line in a film...I love the sight of mine tailings in the morning, it looks like progress...

Wah, Wah, Wah, It's outside the Park, Private land, Blast away. Folks forget, I was reminded by a show on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the scenic you see isn't part of the package, it's private land and can be used by the owners as they feel fit.

Mines are where they are because that is where the minerals are. What a positively ludicrutch idea!

Why can't they just mine all that nasty stuff some where us nice folks won't have to be bothered by it?

Do you nice folks know where your food comes from, where the textile clothes that protects your booties when you fall down off your BMW and what makes electricity to power your wine refrigerators and Latte machines? From big corporations that drill, mine and farm vast scenic parts of this country.

Double check your portfolios and make sure you aren't invested in this stuff.

And when you go to work in your electric cars remember it really isn't green.

To parody a line in a film...I love the sight of mine tailings in the morning, it looks like progress...

Yea, what I meant, I just simplified. :/ That being said, I am all for solar, wind, and wave power generating when they can get it all sorted out. I would like to not use coal either, but right now its what we have.

I will have to look into this.

This mine is controversial because:

1. The owners gave a large donation to the governor on the same day as they had a meeting with the governor and regulators. That meeting evidently resulted in an expedited approval.

2. The mine plan is to start on private land, but the company has also applied for a permit to mine 3500 acres of adjacent public land, in addition to the 600 acres of private land.

3. Environmental concerns are related to heavy truck traffic, night light and dust (Bryce is a premier "night sky" location), and water pollution. There are also some endangered species (Sage Grouse) issues. The mine itself will not be visible from Bryce.

4. It is not clear if the coal is for use in the U.S.

5. The mine is estimated to produce about 300 jobs, but one concern is that it will actually harm existing jobs related to Bryce, if the impacts prove significant.

Here are some facts related to the mine:

blm scoping report

Alton Coal Mine Powerpoint

"4. It is not clear if the coal is for use in the U.S."

The USA is going to EXPORT non-renewable energy?

I am usually sceptical on overblown environmental concerns, but this deal does not smell good.

I really like the wave generator idea. It would go in any moving body, Tidal, river, bathtub drain. Unfortunately those pesky little snails that have been imported can cause a lot of Maintenance to keep the equipment clear.

Tidal over Wind because wind isn't always there but the water is always on the move. And the generators can be easily submerged so no one would be offended by their presence.

That otta sweeten anybodies Latte!

Oh, and if you've been to Bryce during busy season, don't tell me that all those see sighters are not a blight on the land! Parking lots full to the max. Pedestrians darting in and out of traffic. Restaurants charging premium for coarse fair. Worse than a box car full of coal.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Google search on "bryce canyon mining" says yes, it's for real. Turned up this article on endangered national parks, which includes the following statement:

On private land outside Utah’s Bryce Canyon National Park, a coal company has been cleared to launch a 440-acre strip mine that, ecologists say, could pollute waterways and send dust clouds over the park.

Emphasis mine.

(can anyone say Erzberg Rodeo?)

NRDC? Hardly a non-biased source....and their president, Frances Beinecke, is paid $364,864 as per their last disclosure, so given the amount of complaining on the $250K thread that alone is proof they are to be questioned....

Archived