IGNORED

HES sensor

mikecrml

I have a 2004 RTP with 63,000 miles. Latley the idle seems rough, but runs fine at all speeds.. The bike has been completly serviced.TB sync, valve adjust, fliuds and fuel filter. I suspect the HES sensor. Do they die slow, painful deaths or quit altogether? Any advise?

Hi mikecrml

Being as you have a 2004 the HES would be way way down the list of possibilities on a rough idle.

The 1150 series have very few HES problems and seldom would you find an HES failure to be only a rough idle but run good at other RPM ranges.

Maybe start with a good hot compression test, then make sure your stick coils are operating properly. Look for excessively worn throttle shafts or shaft bores. Look for fully functional BBS screws with no plugged passages under the BBS screws.

Maybe try unplugging the o2 sensor to see if that is causing the problem.

I have changed some HES plates now, on both 1100 and 1150! In all cases, the wiring was bad; I believe it has to do with owners heating the engines while standing...

I'm with Dirtrider on this. |I doubt very much if your HES has anything to do with it.

Have you replaced your plugs at the service?

Have you tried swapping the stick coils out with one of your buddies?

When serviced, have they actually cleaned the Throttle bodies. The BBS may need removing and cleaning (along with the TB's).

Have you checked for air leaks.

Andy

I have changed some HES plates now, on both 1100 and 1150! In all cases, the wiring was bad; I believe it has to do with owners heating the engines while standing...
In the real world, people ride on hot days and get caught in traffic jams. IMO, only boxers that spend their life sitting in people's garages will have undeteriorated HES wire insulation.

Plenty of jams over here, but I ride between car rows, until the day will come and someone may open a car door in front of me :)

Until then... I have never got my bikes over 6 bars. The RT once got to 6.

I have a 2004 RTP with 63,000 miles. Latley the idle seems rough, but runs fine at all speeds.. The bike has been completly serviced.TB sync, valve adjust, fliuds and fuel filter. I suspect the HES sensor. Do they die slow, painful deaths or quit altogether? Any advise?

Did you do the service work yourself? Sounds to me more like it's in need of a very accurate valve adjust followed by a meticulous TBS sync. When the HES on mine quit, it just quit without warning. It was a rainy day and fortunately it was in the hotel parking lot and not a few minutes later on the ATL freeway. Also, it could be the coils, but they usually will give trouble when hot and run ok when cool. In all my experience, a rough running oilhead is in need of a very good tune up.

When my HES failed last winter, I was on my way home from work in the rain..the bike just died immediately. Sounds like yours needs a good accurate tune up...Good luck !

Archived