IGNORED

Airhead Gear Shift Lever question

Mighty Manfred

Mighty Manfred

I need to replace the gear shift lever on my 1987 R80RT and don't see how to do it. It looks like I need to extract an Allen bolt from the back side of the front peg, but it's too close to the tranny housing to get an Allen wrench in there, much less remove the bolt.

Am I nuts, or does the tranny housing need to be moved out the way?

Mighty Manfred

I was advised to remove the front foot peg, to which the shift lever is attached. Only problem was the Allen bolt holding the foot peg was rounded out too much for the Allen wrench to get a good bite.

After reading several threads on myriad motorcycle forums, I bought a torx head socket that was the same size as the Allen wrench. The sucker loosened up real easy :-)

With the foot peg off, it's easy to put that assembly in a vise and get easy access to the bolt holding the shift lever.

New shift lever is in place.

Mighty Manfred

Thanks, Sharon. It rides better than anything else I've ridden. Fits like a glove and handles very well. As long as I keep my mind in the ride :-)

Mighty Manfred

Everything was installed except the right hand grip - supposed to be in later today (8 Oct). So I used some cable ties to hold the old one on took off for work this morning, via my normal Friday morning Bible study. I noticed at once that the bike went straight very well, but wanted to fall over at the least bit of lean or turn. Not good. While riding to work (all of this is low speeds in neighborhoods), I thought through what would cause this. As I was stopped at a red light, I looked down at the front tire - not more than half inflated. When I got to work, I used my Slime air pump (in my saddlebag along with tire patch kit and first aid kit) and pumped that tire up. On the way home - normal ride, all is good! Picked up the hand grips this afternoon, to boot.

Still a little polish to get my paint job as good as it will get.

Great motorcycle - nice to be back on the road.

Archived