IGNORED

How to use tie-downs for a ferry?

questrider

I will be using a ferry this weekend. I have never tied-down a motorcycle and have yet to see a picture of one on a ferry. I've read lots here but am still unsure of what (where?) to buy for tie-downs in addition to where you connect them to the bike for a secure lock-down. I understand the tying of the center stand to the front tire, but where do you connect the other two? I'd also love to see a picture for illustration.

I contacted the ferry asking whether they have tie-downs or require me to bring my own. Their response: "We don't require that you bring tie downs but if the weather is windy we do ask that you stay with your mc . You can bring your own tie downs if you wish, as we have places to tie to." ??? They don't require tie downs but if it's windy they think I'm going to be able to hold up an RT on a ferry deck? Yikes! Maybe I'm misunderstanding them. Nevertheless, I'd like to purchase my own tie-downs and learn how I'm supposed to secure the bike since it's my responsibility if the RT tips over and smashes its beautiful tupperware!

There are a few kinds of tie downs, I myself like the ones that have the ability to rachet in order to tighten them up. The ones that you simply pull down on are sometimes larger for one thing and I don't believe you get enough tension. Of course I have used them with out trouble. Also, you are probably going to need a few tie down extentions. Don't panic here; they are nothing more than a strap that extends the tie down. Let me state that another way. Sometimes the design of the bike will prevent you from tying down directly to the bars or yoke or triple tree. Sometimes you need to extend the hooks on the tie down below the tupperware. Sometimes you just can't hook your tie down to anything, so the extending straps allow you to wrap around an item and connect on to them. The extra strapes have loops at each end in order to place your hook into. Boy, I hope I explained this in a manner that is able to be understood.

Regards

russell_bynum

You should be able to get tiedowns at your local hondayamakawazuki shop. I prefer the ratcheting kind, but the kind that you just pull on work OK, too.

Good tiedown points on the RT:

On the front, I like to go from the fork legs right above the fender. That's out of the way of the tupperware and it's certainly solid. We towed the bikes >4,000 miles this summer in that configuration.

The other option is to go around the upper triple-clamp or the bars. If you go to the bars, you'll want a Canyon Dancer. The local shop should have those as well.

Some people prefer one of those mounting points because it lets you compress the bike's suspension. I didn't want to mess with extenstions to let me tie down to the upper triple-clamp, and didn't like the idea of putting all that weight out on the grips with a Canyon Dancer. Other folks do it that way and it works fine, so it's really just a personal preference.

For the rear, pop the black plastic side panels off and go from the subframe.

You should NOT use the centerstand when tying down for a ferry. Place the bike on the SIDE stand and lock the front. Have the bike in gear. It is completely unnecessary to compress the suspension when tying for a ferry and not necessary to use ratcheting straps since the tension needed is not high. The goal of tying down is to prevent side to side movement as well as fore and aft movement. Position the straps 2 in front and 2 at rear with enough tension to prevent significant motion. Your goal is to prevent relatively big swings and keep the bike on its feet. 3/8 nylon is fine with a couple of clove hitches.

Good Luck,

Dave

Would go with the ratchet if for no other reason then you knowing that your bike feels secure when you are done. With the pull straps I am constantly checking and rechecking since I always think that they are not tight enough and that I could get them a little tighter. Previous posts are correct that side stand is best, 2 front and 2 back, and not to try and compress the bike down. Dont' use the hand grips as you can damage them. Good luck. A good link that talks about trailering but gives some good ideas

http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=43

Took the CAT form Bar Harbor to NS this summer and was worried about tying down my R. Brought 4 tie downs and ended up using 1 across the seat on the sidestand. Perhaps placement on the ship has something to do with it. I was expecting in the front or back like you see quite often. Bikes on the CAT are in the center of the lower deck. Visited the bike once during the trip and it was quite smooth. The CAT is unique though. Others have more experience on the common types of ferries

Peter

You want to bring 4 Tie Down Assists, each a nylon strap 18" to 24" in length with a loop at each end. They come 2 per package.

You use these at the motorcycle end and put the tie down hook through the loops. These keep the hooks away from your bike...even if the hooks are vinyl coated.

What I use.

This is how we all (approx 212 bikes) came off the ferry last year.

If you look closely my RT in front is still tied down. Tie point on either side, strap just goes over the seat. (Over night crossing so a bit of padding was recommended between the strap and the seat) Note the way the bike is pointed - left not right. The only other added thing was a rubber chock provided by the ferry for the back wheel. There is one still visible in the space left where the bike next to me has already moved.

33174005-M.jpg

Safe trip.

If it's a short ferry ride, they generaly just privide blocks for under the bike\wheels.. Park it on the side stand, push a block under the center of the bike under the engine (opposite the stand side), and put a chock under one of the tires.. Leave bike in gear..

Attached is a picture of our Hyder trip. This was a 12 hour ferry ride up the inside passage, and they required tie downs.. Ship provided ropes with hooks. Note the block I was talking about.

If you tie down, you can use the telelever, or around the forks at the ball joint. Length of tie downs depends on how faqr away a tie point is..

585794-125-26.jpg.6ee3952db3fd630fa4f3211d8593d0e2.jpg

Magnuson - not sure what ferry you took, or are planning on taking, but be aware that if it's one of the Lake Michigan ones, the ride can get a little harsh... so fasten it down well. A guy from our company was coming back from Milwaukee to Muskegon yesterday, and he had a hell of a trip. Everybody on the ship was puking because of the wave action. A lifeboat was pulled overboard by the waves, and the ferry had to go back to get the lifeboat, and returned to Milwaukee without crossing. On the other hand, I had a safe and easy trip on the Ludington to Manitowoc ferry late this summer, with the bike tied down on the side stand as described by others. Safe ferrying!

Magnuson - not sure what ferry you took, or are planning on taking, but be aware that if it's one of the Lake Michigan ones, the ride can get a little harsh... so fasten it down well. A guy from our company was coming back from Milwaukee to Muskegon yesterday, and he had a hell of a trip. Everybody on the ship was puking because of the wave action. A lifeboat was pulled overboard by the waves, and the ferry had to go back to get the lifeboat, and returned to Milwaukee without crossing. On the other hand, I had a safe and easy trip on the Ludington to Manitowoc ferry late this summer, with the bike tied down on the side stand as described by others. Safe ferrying!
That doesn't sound good! I thought both of the Lake Michigan ferries had closed down for the season back on October 16?

Anyway, I'm actually taking a "wuss" ferry from the north end of Door County to Washington Island. It's only a 30-minute ferry, but now that it is colder, who knows if the waves will be rough or if the wind could kick up. I figured it's better to be safe than sorry with tie-downs.

I bought two pairs of tie downs today at the local Yamahazuki shop. Probably overpriced and I might not need them this weekend, but I figure tie-downs aren't a bad thing to own if you have a motorcycle. I figure after all the time I spend here, I'm bound to be influenced to put the bike on a trailer some day. tongue.gif

Archived