IGNORED

Need help with getting my topbox re-keyed

brianbmw

I don't have a key for the topbox i just bought, the box unlocked now and i can open and close it. Can a locksmith rekey it to match my key or maybe make a new key for me? Do i have to bring it to a BMW dealer and have a new lock installed to match my current key?

I ended up removing a few of the internal screws so I could "see" the side of the lock better to use the homemade paperclip tool. Very simple procedure once the lock is removed. T

Unfortunatly that wont work for me since i don't have a key for the lock and my case is OPEN and in the UNLOCKED position. I think i can drill it out, now it's just a matter of how big does the hole have to be in order to release the lock and not damage anything else?

Brian

I bought a used topcase on ebay. My dealer rekeyed it in about 10 minutes for free. As long as it's unlocked, they shouldn't have a problem getting the lockset out.

I've done the ebbo.org procedure several times, but I cannot remember whether the old key needs to be in the cylinder in order to pull it out. Maybe, since the cylinder is in the OPEN position, it can be pulled out with any key or tool once the locking wafer is depressed.

Mine is open but the key is turned to OPEN not LOCK. In the LOCK position you have access through the hole int the box and can use the Ebbo site info. Because mine is in the OPEN position it can't be accessed from that hole. Time to get out the drill, wish me luck.

GreatDaysAhead

I'm thinking you may be a bit confused. Why would the lock be in the "locked" position if the case is open? It has to be in the open position to open the case yes? I purchased a used box that was OPEN and the tumbler was in the OPEN position and had no problem removing cylinder to rekey. RE-READ the proceedure and you should have no issues.

Well it's all fixed now. I drilled out the lock and installed a spare lock set i had. The web site was vey helpful, re keying these lock sets is very easy if you follow the instructions on the ebbo web site.

Brian

Archived