IGNORED

Bird of prey cam

Steve1962

Joe Frickin' Friday

WOW.

The flight through the woods was insane. Reminds me of the speeder bikes from Return of the Jedi (that was before I read the article :dopeslap:). Except with less clearance. And faster. And real.

They should call it a hoon-bird. :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Fantastic how their tiny organic computers calculate this stuff.

I wonder if having a small brain (1" across, versus ~6" for a human) speeds up the data processing. Afterall, if your brain is sending information back and forth, it takes less time to do so if the brain is physically smaller.

OTOH, I remember reading something years ago about a primatologist who was capturing gibbons or spider monkeys or something, and X-raying them. It seems a surprising percentage of these monkeys showed evidence of previously broken bones, proving that they don't always catch the branch they're aiming for. Likewise, as impressive as the video was, I wonder how often these birds accidentally splatter themselves against a tree trunk or a rock.

I'm suddenly feeling very clumsy. Wonderful footage.

I was out birding in the woods one day, heard a swoosh and felt a feathery touch brush the back of my neck. As I involuntarily recoiled from this "attack" I saw a blur of a hawk disappear amongst the trees. Fantastic!

I must admit to the tiniest disappointment.

I thought this was going to footage of you being pursued by pheasant.

Joe Frickin' Friday

That would be the "prey of bird" cam.

I'm suddenly feeling very clumsy. Wonderful footage.

I was out birding in the woods one day, heard a swoosh and felt a feathery touch brush the back of my neck. As I involuntarily recoiled from this "attack" I saw a blur of a hawk disappear amongst the trees. Fantastic!

Lesley ,

The Pathfinder is laid up at the moment , following a horrendous crunching noise eminating from the clutch/gearbox area whilst I was riding home from work recently - I'm awaiting Andy s[ Boffin] return from holiday as he is going to check it out for me .

Thanks

Steve

Dave McReynolds

Likewise, as impressive as the video was, I wonder how often these birds accidentally splatter themselves against a tree trunk or a rock.

For some reason birds don't seem to judge the movement of motorcycles very well, as I'm sure many of you can attest. When I was riding, birds, including one hawk, struck my windscreen on several occasions.

The Goshawk footage was awesome...

Interesting on the Peregrine when they're talking about the barrel roll and even a slight twist of the head would send the bird out of control.... wonder how long it took the bird to compensate for the camera strapped to it?

Archived