IGNORED

Can you just partially remove the tank?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

R1100RT. I want to bleed the ABS unit. I've only had the tank off once.

Is it possible to partially remove it (fasteners), have someone hold it, and then bleed the circuits? I'm curious if I can leave the plumbing and connectors on.

It can be done. Have the person stand on the right side of the bike. Rotate the tank into his hands.

That being said, it might be a better idea to buy a set of quick disconnects from Beemer Boneyard and install them. That will make it simple to take the tank off. In fact, it's definitely a better idea.

There is less chance of damage, spillage, and errors if the tank comes off. I mean, it's not that big a job is it! If you decide not to, watch out for the front face of the tank trim panel getting scored/scratched against the steering mechanism.

Andy

Peter,

A week back I bled the ABS on my '96 Roadster by just lifting the tank as high as possible - a little fiddly but no problem. If you have the container you're bleeding into lower than the ABS then when you remove the bleed tube there is no mess at all.

I have the tupperware off my RT right now and I agree with the consensus and also suggest removing the tank...

You an do it quite easily if you have a 30" padded top (backless)bar stool :)! I have it in the garage for my workbench. Bought it cheap at WallyWorld years ago.

Only things you will need are a couple of spare zip ties to replace those you will need to cut off so that the fuel/vent lines give you the needed additional flexibility. Just remove the zip ties and you simply rotate the tank gently to the right and place it on its side on the bar stool :thumbsup:

Resistance is futile. Buy a couple of nice stainless steel quick-disconnects and get used to removing the tank. It takes about two minutes and makes any work under the tank so much less awkward.

Two fuel lines, two vent lines and one electrical connection is all you have to worry about.

make sure the tank is about empty, prop it up from the back with a piece of wood, or dowel (I've used a 2X4). One can reach the bleed nipples doing it this way. Tank stays in it's relative position and no need to disconnect anything.

Archived