IGNORED

Shocks or new bike?

Rob L

What a dilemma blush.gif I told Barb that I think the shocks are shot on my 2004 RT with 37,000 miles on it. the bike no longer tracks straight through bumpy hi-speed curves and tends to bottom more often on rough pavement. I also mentioned that I want to repaint several parts and make the bike look like new again (a bath would help grin.gif) The total would be close to $1500 with me doing the painting and installation. She said, "maybe it's time for a new bike!" WHAT! I stared at the floor as I said, "well maybe we should think about that."

THINK! I guess that $18000 is something to consider. Still I would hope to get maybe $10000 in trade? $8000 versus $1500 and brand new, Hmmmm. I wonder if I can get a better deal in Dec./Jan? Yeah, I could wait till then smirk.gif I know that I will hate to give up my Russell seat. There's another $700. I would love to have ESA and maybe the computer.

Any thoughts? confused.gif

Rob,

It's a lot of money to fork out for a new bike , you could fix yours up for a lot less and get many more miles on it .

On the other hand .............. you could see what deal can be done and end up with something like this ...........

mynewbeemer0169ic.jpg

Either way you still have a great bike .

Steve

Rob,

What a dilemma eh crazy.gif

FWIW, a buddy of mine can't even get a nibble on his 04' RT and it's only got 800 mi. on it and asking 12k. It seems that maybe not a good market for good used RT's or it's approaching winter with Xmas around the corner and people are focusing finances elsewhere.

It is nice that your "mission control" pipes up with her advice though. Mine did that whern I was shopping for a used GS. She instructed me to get a new one....so I followed her instructions...who wouldn't. thumbsup.gif

However installing new suspenders on your RT is only a one hr. job at best and shouldn't cost more than 1100 bucks or so. It's no secret around here how I feel about the inadequate Showa suspension the RT's are equipped with. And I'm not a fan of the ESA on the new RT's either.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice though, keeping "mission control" pleased that your follwoing instructions. grin.gif

Rob,

What a dilemma eh crazy.gif

FWIW, a buddy of mine can't even get a nibble on his 04' RT and it's only got 800 mi. on it and asking 12k. It seems that maybe not a good market for good used RT's or it's approaching winter with Xmas around the corner and people are focusing finances elsewhere.

It is nice that your "mission control" pipes up with her advice though. Mine did that whern I was shopping for a used GS. She instructed me to get a new one....so I followed her instructions...who wouldn't. thumbsup.gif

However installing new suspenders on your RT is only a one hr. job at best and shouldn't cost more than 1100 bucks or so. It's no secret around here how I feel about the inadequate Showa suspension the RT's are equipped with. And I'm not a fan of the ESA on the new RT's either.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice though, keeping "mission control" pleased that your follwoing instructions. grin.gif

$1100 for Ohlins? PM me with the details for those! There was a post recently about replacing the front shock with a Works and having the rear rebuilt by Lindemans, any comment on that? I really like my 04, but...I have ridden the new machine. I am kind of leaning toward replacing my 10 yr old Dodge instead of my 2 yr old bike crazy.gif

It sounds like you are dubious about the cost of a new bike. Your 04 is much nicer looking than a new 05, so why not put a great set of new shocks on your 04 right away and be done with it. By the way - they need not be Ohlins, there are some very good cheaper alternatives on the market like Works.

good luck.

Good Morning Rob,

Here are a few thoughts. First, the oil in the rear shock and sometimes get low. Where does it go? Beats me. It just goes. Remove the rear shock resovoir. Push back the diaphragm with the long end of an allen wrench. Fill it up with the thin oil of your choice. I used standard 5w-30. What an amazing change it made.

Second choice: Send them off to Brunos for a rebuild. Check this out www.brunos.us/shocks.htm For about a $200 bill, they'll be just like new and also self rebuildable in the future. How good they were when they were new is another discussion, but it's a bunch cheaper that $1100 for new Ohlins.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

russell_bynum

If you're otherwise happy with your '04, it's a no-brainer. Just throw some Ohlins on there, repaint to your heart's desire, and ride.

You will spend about the same amount of money making your '04 the bike you want it to be that you would spend on the TAX to buy a new bike.

Rob,

I can attest to the benefits of installing new shocks of some sort. I replaced my 14k mile stock units with some Wilbers on my RT - took longer to remove the tupperware, tank and rear wheel then it does to install these shocks.

Results - my wife how is not a willing passenger, stated to me that she enjoyed the recent ride we took this last weekend. Smoother, she doesn't feel like she was shaken to bits. I must also add that the bike handles better.

Either get aftermarket or rebuild exisiting, but it does make a big difference. I would get these before I would spend any money on anyother add ons.

You are in an enviable position, if it was my call I'd get shocks and save my money.

Let us know what you decide.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Well this is a emotional decision, not a logic one. Do you want a new bike? Do you want one by a factor of X10? Ten times (or more) the cost of fixing your current '04 for a 12RT?

If so, hug the SO for her support and go shopping. If not, the short comings of the '04 are easy to solve.

Fix it...it's easy, comparatively cheap, and you'll fall in love with it again all over. I've got a friend who has a very impressive stable of bikes in his garage, and can afford whatever he wants. His favorite bike however, is his '94 R1100RS with Luftmiester pipes (yes as in dual), chip, ohlins, etc. He also has a '04 RS with a ton of $$ in upgrades, but just prefers the '94's "feel". You may have the same experience...and the extra cash in your pocket!

Thanks for all the replies. I guess that I'll keep what I got! I really like this bike and I AM a cheapskate grin.gif

I'll tell Barb that I am saving lots of money as I spend whatever amount on the shocks.

Where should I go for the shocks? Best price etc. for Works, Wilbers, Ohlins, or rebuild? Anyone already done the looking? You could save me some time (OK I'm cheap and lazy smirk.gif)

Where should I go for the shocks? Best price etc. for Works, Wilbers, Ohlins, or rebuild? Anyone already done the looking? You could save me some time (OK I'm cheap and lazy )

russell_bynum

Don't bother rebuilding the stock shocks. They were crap when they were new.

I've got experience with Ohlins and Works Performance. I've got Works shocks on my RT and have been extremely happy. I've ridden bikes with Ohlins and was very pleased with them as well.

I don't have experience with the Wilbers, but people who have 'em seem to like 'em.

I got my Works direct from the factory. Hopefully others will chime in on where to look for Ohlins and Wilbers.

Rob, what new bike are you considering? A 12RT right?

I'd be tempted to go for the new bike but if you like your 1150 you will love Ohlins on it. After Ohlins, my 1150RT gained an incredible 22 mph on a 70 mph sweeper and felt better and far more stable at the higher speed with the new shocks. The difference blew my mind. I remember that sweeper as my first taste of high perormance riding, I could have pushed the bike 10 mph faster than 22 mph better than I was riding it on old shocks, but I was already far into uncharted experiences. I guess I'm saying you can expect a HUGE improvement if you order the proper springs for your weight and have the shocks set up just right.

Have fun, you have a cool decision to make.

Look in the classifieds on this board. There is a new 1200RT for sale for $12K.
I can't believe that is a true offer for sale. It's too good. Has anyone checked on it?
tickle_my_tummy

Rob - a nice dilemma - all I can say is that I haven'tlooked back bar a bit of nostalgia for the 1150, which I still like, but its a very different bike.

Click on the link to see if you like the side view without the panniers. Once its open I think the picture will be sharper if you click on it again.

web page

Nice bike! I decided to replace the shocks rather than spend the money for a new bike and then having to add aseat and who knows what else.

This morning on the way to work I hit a patch of spilled asphalt in the rain and dropped the bike. It needs a lot more than shocks now! I'm probably still gonna keep her. I feel bad bncry.gif There is some damage which I can live with (scrape on the top box, muffler, and bar end weight) that may free up money to help pay for the shocks. Not sure what to expect yet. I'll take the bike to Grand Rapids on Saturday.

tickle_my_tummy

That's a real bummer Rob - Hope it gets sorted for you. I'd like to have a 1150 and a 12RT but I can only ride one at a time frown.gif

thumbsup.gif

I have a 2003 with about 24K on it. I installed Ohlins front and rear at about 12K and it was the best investment I made in the bike. I have test-ridden the new RTs and they are nice bikes, but in my opinion, they are not enough of an improvement to warrant trading in the 1150. The way I have my 2003 tricked out (Ohlins, Sargent seat, Motolights, PIAA 1100s, Cee Bailey windscreen, BMW top case and tank bag) I think it is a much better ride than a showroom 1200RT, especially with the Ohlins. The electronic shocks worry me-I bet they are great at first, but I don't think you can rebuild them and I bet they don't work as well as the Ohlins.

It sounds like you have put some custom items on your bike and you have the advantage of the twin spark engine. My 2 cents is put some Ohlins on your bike and use the money you saved over the new bike to finance some great trips.

Archived