IGNORED

replacement grips

RPG

The stock grips on my '04 RT are getting worn and was wondering to just purchase stock oem. (I liked them when they were new and didn't slip), but also wondering if there are better alternatives?

Also, any special instructions for removing and not damaging the heated grips circuit?

thanks,

RPG

Leave 'em.

Wrap bicycle handlebar tape over them in a barrel shape that matches your grip. Nice to have the leverage of a larger diameter grip. I used to do this in the winter when riding with thick gloves. But I just leave the tape in place all year. Haven't re-wrapped the tapes for maybe three years.

Be sure to get the rubberized cork, elliptical cross-section and you've never felt a better humane material under your hands.

Works OK with the heated grip but less heat.

Ben

As does tennis racket grip tape. Available in various materials and thicknesses. Have had on my RSL for a couple of years now and have not noticed any effect on the grip heating. YMMV

Ewell

The Grand Rapids dealer has a big box of the foam grips that slip over your current ones. I bought a set last year and they are still in pretty good shape. They do make it a bigger diameter to put your hands around, which I like. A good excuse for a ride over there.

A debate!

Although I grew up a few blocks from the old Davis Cup stadium, can't say I know much about tennis raquet tape. My guess is that it is sticky-backed, hard, and meant for tight gripping by sweaty hands.

The bicycle handlebar tape is springy, no glue, thick enough to wrap into a slight barrel shape and to form a larger diameter for gripping. Just right feel to my trotters.

After-market grips come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Might be hard to find anything rubbery enough to slip over the stock rubber grips and be functional too.

Ben

No debate, go with what feels best to you.

The tennis racket grip tape comes in many different thicknesses, levels of tackiness or grip, and different materials. Some are perforated others are ribbed or solid. The ones I used did have have a sticky tape backing.

I used ones that were fairly thick and cushioned as I was interested in making my grips larger in diameter. The surface is smooth and not particularly tacky.

I had bought foam grip covers and tore one trying to get it on so tried the grip tape as an experiment. I had read about it either on this forum or the RS owner forum on bikers oracle. At under $5 per side I thought it was worth a try. On the third year and they are still fine.

Ewell

Archived