IGNORED

Spline on R1150RT

donhallman

I have seen several mentions of spine failure on early Rt's 01 & 02. Having an 02, this concerns me a little and hoping some of the knowledge on this board can put me at ease.

1. Are there symptoms evident prior to such a failure.

2. Is it common, say 1 out of 200 bikes?

3. Is it due to a casting misalingment, that will keep

occuring?

4. For an older bike, is there any BMW assistance?

5. Any other info appreciated.

1. Sometimes difficulty in shifting, in particular down, but usually no.

2. No real statistics are known, but it's certainly not 1 in 200. 1 in 2000 maybe.

3. Case alignment has been theorized, as has micro-fretting due to lubrication faliure. Nothing has ever been definitively proven that I have ever seen.

4. BMW handles all request for financial repair assistance on a case-by-case basis, but on an '02, probably not.

5. Tear the bike down and lube them now. It's cheaper than waiting for a failure, that's for sure. Can't hurt, likely will help. If damage is caught early enough before actual spline failure, replacing just the clutch plate can significantly prolong the splines' life.

2. No real statistics are known, but it's certainly not 1 in 200. 1 in 2000 maybe.

I agree that no real statistics are known, however, this site has nearly 10K members of which a minority are actually active, and there have been more than 5 spline failures posted. This is an indication to me that spline failures are more common than 1 in 2000!

I agree that no real statistics are known, however, this site has nearly 10K members of which a minority are actually active, and there have been more than 5 spline failures posted. This is an indication to me that spline failures are more common than 1 in 2000!

10K members, VERY many inactive and/or long departed. Some percentage of the rest have R1150RTs, some percentage of which are '02s. Let's say 50%, 70%, and 25%. And let's say there have been 10 reported spline failures. Now it's one in 88! All these numbers are WAGs of course.

Thanks for the input. I only have 29K on mine, but plan to attend the Atlanta tech-daze 11/12/05. If I can watch this being done I may go ahead and do it. Better safe than splinless.

Archived