IGNORED

Re: Generator Help

Skywagon

I need a generator that is portable and will run my compressor. I have a hangar that has no electricity at the moment. My compressor is a standard Sears compressor. According to the label it draws up to 15 amps. I am not sure what the start up load, but I am guessing that is it. I plugged it into a neighbors small generator and it choked the generator. I need to be able to carry the thing back and forth, so the ability for me to live it into the back of my Tahoe is imporant. Recommendations appreciated. Laymans terms please...

My compressor is pretty close to this one, only older..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916642000P?mv=rr

GO HERE for some info on generator makes/types/wattage/amperage calculations etc.

2000 watts should suffice for 15amp. Friends of ours have a small Honda that he's had for a long while and has been nothing but dependable (and quiet!) for them and he also runs a small compressor on it as well. :thumbsup:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

We use all kinds of generators at work. If you're only firing it up to fill the compressor, then it's noise level probably isn't as big of an issue as you think. But if it's going to be running all the time get a Honda- they are that quiet.

yes thanks...the challenge is I need about 140 psi into large volume many times in a row so a small air fill tank isn't the answer. I haven't looked into a gas powered compressor, but will google and see what comes up.

As I understand the computation constant voltage * amps = wattage? Not perfect but close?

GO HERE for some info on generator makes/types/wattage/amperage calculations etc.

2000 watts should suffice for 15amp. Friends of ours have a small Honda that he's had for a long while and has been nothing but dependable (and quiet!) for them and he also runs a small compressor on it as well. :thumbsup:

Ditto on the Honda generator. Also the go to idle if they are not pulling load save you $$$ in gas. I had two for a camper. I would get them again if I needed them.

Based on my experience at work I was surprised when it was suggested that a 15 amp (15 amp x 120 volts = 1,800 watts if I understand correctly) compressor would run on a 2000 watt genny. Following Phil's link I read that a 2000 watt compressor requires 4000 starting watts. If the compressor is cold it puts even more load on the genny and I presume for this application the compressor will be at ambient outside temp. which suggests to me that even 4000 starting watts might be marginal.

Yes! You are correct, 2000 for 15A in a steady state and it is the starting wattage that can choke a genset! I put the link on there so he could work out what he needed.....given his weight limitations.

We went through the whole watty/ampy/volty computation when we added a back-up generator (portable with a 50A outside receptacle)to our old house.

I assume your compressor is 115 V, not 220

How many total hours will you put on this generator.

Here is the deal. The Honda generaotrs are good,

However, Harbor freight has a cheap honda copy that is quiet and cheap, i paid 300 for mine.

So far mine has had 13 days of running 23,5 hours a day.

I change the water heater to 110 V and it runs lights, computer, attic fan or heater fan chest freezer and refrigerator at the same time.

I have a hot shower in the morning, i do have to disconnect almost everything to run the washer, microwave or stove, but this has been a kick ass unit, I have a basically normal life.

It will run this stuff for 24 hours on one 5 gallon can of gas.

Maybe I got the only good one, and maybe it will blow the next time i use it. But for 300, compared to honda price, i will get another.

It got a 30 minute light load break in, oil change at 2 hours, then about 12 hours, then every 2 days. That has been it.

rod

Archived