IGNORED

Differences between the 06-08 K12GT's

BostonBagger

What are the differences between the 2006, 2007 and 2008 K1200GTs.

While at the local dealer, the young man was steering me away from the K12GT and toward the new K13GT. I wonder why? :-)

I'm always a little reluctant to consider a first year bike (like the 06 K12GT) unless it's an evolution product.

Phil

No more heat from my '07 GT than from my GS. Not an issue, even here in Florida. I love my GT and I think you can find some great bargains in used '06-'08 GT's.

Phil, for what it's worth I bought my '08 GT a little over a year ago as a new leftover. I got a great deal on the bike, but even if I didn't, I would have gone for the '08 anyway. I've heard there were problems with the new controls/switchgear that BMW started using on the '09 GT's. The ones on the 08's and older are the setups BMW have been using for years on many models.

And frankly, I don't feel I'm missing much by running a 1200cc engine vs a 1300.

So I understand that the 07 removed the electric servo that provided the power assist to the braking system - something that I think probably was a wise choice. Anything more - other than color variations?

'06s have/had airbox fuel control problems. Not all but some. Also there was software glitches. Supposedly all fixed in warranty. Mine had the problems and was fixed...supposedly. It still stalls after a very hot run (over 100 degrees F) when trying to idle.

There is also talk of final drives failing at 30k miles. I'm at 30k miles now but still okay. Of course I now change my final gear oil every 3k miles.

That being said its a great, fast bike that you can ride for miles with speed and comfort.

You are correct about the servos in the 06s being removed (good) but I haven't had any problems other than the irratating noise.

What I do HATE abot the new GTs is the switch gear layout and Hydraulics reservour (sp?) for the clutch and brake. The 06s are sleek and metal. Now they're little plastic tubs and the bars just look so unfinished for a expensive bike.

RE: What I do HATE abot the new GTs is the switch gear layout and Hydraulics reservour (sp?) for the clutch and brake. The 06s are sleek and metal. Now they're little plastic tubs and the bars just look so unfinished for a expensive bike.

Thanks Mark. I know the irritating noise. As for the plastic tubs, I'm still good on the 07s. They still have the nice metallic unit. Appreciated the comments.

Archived